Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 17,637 times

Advertisements

Well we all know why we are considering leaving Southern California. We are self employed as a General Contractor and Cabinet Maker. We have been pretty much demolished by the economy and are looking to start over. We would love to move where we have family which is Connecticut or Florida and more importantly where we can make a good living. I've tried Florida already and I think I would prefer the snow to the humidity. I only lasted a little over a year in Florida but if that is where the money is.

My husband is only concerned really with the latter part (getting a job). Me and our two girls are leaning towards Ct. My sister in law lives in Enfied and will be moving in a few months about S.W. of Enfield I think. She is interested in Simsbury, Avon, Canton, Granby, Torrington. I have longed for "REAL" season changes. I must admit I am a bit afraid of the cold but dream of a white Christmas. I am a California girl but longing for snow but not dark winters. I have been online trying to give my husband information on the economy in Ct. I must not be a very good googler because I have not come up with much other than gas prices and such. Can someone tell me or tell me how to find out how the remodeling business is in Ct.? What are good areas to move to with good schools. I was really interested in Torrington until I read some post about it. We plan on coming out next month for a visit and try to get as much in as possible. Of course my husband and as I needs to find out about job. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,835,657 times
My husband has his own custom woodworking business in SW Fairfield County and it's struggling right now. For the first time in over 20 years he is having a hard time finding clients. Even the wealthiest individuals are cutting back with spending. Custom cabinetry is definitely a luxury item at the moment which fewer people are willing to spend the $$ for.

One thing we learned long ago, working for a union or carpentry business generally does not pay well. Most everyone we know in the business ends up starting their own business at some point. There is another member here who I think has some kind of construction business, maybe he can be more helpful. Good luck!!

Old 01-09-2009, 08:09 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,315,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforabetterlife View Post
Well we all know why we are considering leaving Southern California. We are self employed as a General Contractor and Cabinet Maker. We have been pretty much demolished by the economy and are looking to start over. We would love to move where we have family which is Connecticut or Florida and more importantly where we can make a good living. I've tried Florida already and I think I would prefer the snow to the humidity. I only lasted a little over a year in Florida but if that is where the money is.

My husband is only concerned really with the latter part (getting a job). Me and our two girls are leaning towards Ct. My sister in law lives in Enfied and will be moving in a few months about S.W. of Enfield I think. She is interested in Simsbury, Avon, Canton, Granby, Torrington. I have longed for "REAL" season changes. I must admit I am a bit afraid of the cold but dream of a white Christmas. I am a California girl but longing for snow but not dark winters. I have been online trying to give my husband information on the economy in Ct. I must not be a very good googler because I have not come up with much other than gas prices and such. Can someone tell me or tell me how to find out how the remodeling business is in Ct.? What are good areas to move to with good schools. I was really interested in Torrington until I read some post about it. We plan on coming out next month for a visit and try to get as much in as possible. Of course my husband and as I needs to find out about job. Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Im sure your're aware that the economy is bad all over the USA…including CT. The local ABC news just did a story about how home prices are down 25% across CT, and home building is grinding to a halt. The only difference that might work in your favor here… is part of the housing stock on the East Coast is a bit older than out West. Perhaps there might be more renovation work here than out there.

As far as the cold….the Tri-State area winters are cold and it snows occasionally, but winters are nothing like the West, Midwest, and northern New England with brutal cold and feet of snow. I think you’ll be fine.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:03 AM

I should also mention that if we do make this move we would like to find an area with land (min 1 acre) so that we can have a horse or two THANK YOU

Old 01-09-2009, 09:13 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,727,668 times
Quote:
I should also mention that if we do make this move we would like to find an area with land (min 1 acre) so that we can have a horse or two THANK YOU
Depending on the town, you might need a lot more than an acre. Some towns actually have a requirement per horse.

Old 01-09-2009, 03:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,921,726 times
Quote:
Well that's not hard. LOL Most of Suburban and semi-rural CT homes are ON almost an acre. We like our space. I'm in a small city and have 2 acres.

The difference you will see is "rural" isn't like you probably think where there is NOTHING. Here in CT you'll always be around something, yet feel like you are out in nowhere. This area was the first settled in the USA so you still have 300 year old farm houses out in the country etc.

Rich, any way to look up the average lot size outside of the cities or even by town?

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,727,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Rich, any way to look up the average lot size outside of the cities or even by town?
From time to time, my contributions have been from the MLS as of a particular point in time. Say, for instance, someone wanted 'a single-family property located on an acre of land in Manchester,' I might indicate that, as of 01/09/09, 19 out of 231 current single-family listings have at least one acre of land.

One could surmise that the likelihood of getting a property with at least one acre is less than 10 percent based on this data.

NOTE: The current inventory is usually in proportion to what a town has to offer at any time.

If someone gave me a town, I could provide a good idea based upon the current listings on the MLS...

Side bar: I made my comment about the acreage requirement for two reasons: 1) my mother and sister always had horses while I was growing up, and 2) Cheshire recently amended its zoning to "minimum acreage to have horses" vs. "x acres for one horse plus additional acreage per additional horse." I would still exercise caution: buying a property with 3 acres might not allow the property owner to have a horse...

Zoning for dogs is also by town. I'm sure everyone remembers the story about the woman from West Hartford who was told that 2 dogs is the maximum allowed. When I renewed my five (5) dog licenses, I joked to the Cheshire town clerk that I was thinking about getting another but was worried that I would need a breeder's license. She said, "No...not in Cheshire. The more, the merrier."

Last edited by Rich Lee; 01-09-2009 at 10:10 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 12:59 PM

103 posts, read 426,543 times
Word of caution regarding horses...just because the land itself is zoned for horses does not mean the lot will also permit a barn/stable. It's safest to find a property with a structure already in place but without that, carefully review local zoning before buying any property even if it allows horses.

Now back to you original question - how about Granby? I know you mentioned it but I think because of it's existing equine-friendly culture (I think you can have two horses on one acre), it's affordability for the area ($339,000 median price for 2008) and proximity to higher-income areas like Farmington Valley and Litchfield County make it seem like a good choice.

I am not a contractor but work with many contractors as a REALTOR and can tell you that business is definitely down. However, with fewer people selling, that might actually be an opportunity for a contractor who remodels, does additions, etc. - people will remodel and stay rather than sell.

Old 01-10-2009, 04:09 PM

21,520 posts, read 30,932,128 times
I once heard Bethany has more horses than people. You should check it out, it's rural for CT but is a suburb of New Haven. Not too far from Hartford, part of the excellent Amity schools (great for resale) and affordable compared to CA.

Just a thought.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 AM

How is the renting market in any of these areas? I have scratched Torringtion. I think I like Granby. We will be staying with his sister for a little while and probably not able to buy for a year or two. I would like to have a game plan for our visit next month. Any suggestions on towns/schools are very helpful and THANK YOU to the people who have posted so far. I can't wait to come out next month and see for my own eyes. Oh yeah what is the most cost effective heating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut