Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 09:56 AM

893 posts, read 780,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No no...that's not it, not at all. Please let me explain.

It's not that you came on here and said "I like to shop at Wilkes Barre - it's great. You should check it out". I'd probably reply with "gee, who knew? Thanks!" As I myself have on occasion raced at Pocono...I'm sure my wife would appreciate the info and love the chance to leave some cash there. ( )

You came on with the attitude of "I go there for REAL shopping" making the assumption that CT sucks and that place is great. The reality is, we have a HUGE shopping Mecca here in the Hartford area that would probably make you say "holy cow".

If you really want to split hairs, FFC has some of the swankiest boutiques (located in an organic and real main street European feel type of setting) in the nation that no "planned box" like Phillips Place (Phillips Place, Charlotte, NC) in Charlotte or XYZ boomtown can recreate no matter how many new "old" statues they toss in there. It's a planned fake box.

I hope you understand better now.
I am not a swanky shopper. I like my TJ Maxx Marshalls Home Goods Ross stores Target Super Walmart Best Buy and so on in the same shopping center . I don't want to travel from strip mall to strip mall. I like the mall to be close to these stores so I can hit the ones I want to see in quick time. I want to beable to go eat lunch at any one of numerous restaurants I choose. I guess I like fake shopping then. I hope you understand better now.

Last edited by LaMadden; 01-17-2009 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 01-17-2009, 10:04 AM

By the way I'm on my way out the door to check out West Farms area. I'll see how it stacks up.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,764,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
I am not a swanky shopper. I like my TJ Maxx Marshalls Home Goods Ross stores Target Super Walmart Best Buy and so on in the same shopping center .
I'm not familiar with Ross stores, but TJM/Marshall's/Home Goods/Target/Best Buy/WalMart(not a "Super") are less than 5 miles away from me, located in Stratford, Trumbull, and Shelton. My area isn't exactly considered a shopping "mecca" either, so i'm a bit baffled by your statement regarding a lack of shopping choices.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:25 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,837,735 times
Maybe he just wants all the stores together in one shopping center? I can see the convenience in that, so you don't have to keep hopping in the car and driving off to the next store. But driving 2 1/2 hours to another state for more convenient shopping doesn't seem very convenient to me, since that's five hours total in driving....then again, I'm one who likes to spend two hours tops shopping; I'm not big on spending the whole day doing it.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:16 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Quote:
I am not a swanky shopper. I like my TJ Maxx Marshalls Home Goods Ross stores Target Super Walmart Best Buy and so on in the same shopping center . I don't want to travel from strip mall to strip mall. I like the mall to be close to these stores so I can hit the ones I want to see in quick time. I want to beable to go eat lunch at any one of numerous restaurants I choose. I guess I like fake shopping then. I hope you understand better now.
I'm no "swank" shopper myself, nor is my wife.

Well then, based on your reply...Guess where you should shop? Yep, right here in old Manchester in the Buckland section.

All the stores you listed in one shopping center? Honestly I don't know of a strip mall that holds ALL of those in one parking lot, but what we have here are shopping centers bordering each other.

The same route I laid out here in Buckland Hills Manchester has ever single store you mentioned and 10 times more and along the way and too eat you'll have:

Uno,
Ruby's,
Outback,
Red Robin,
Smokey Bones,
Pepe's Pizza,
John Harverd Brew House,
Bugaboo Creek,
Olive Garden,
Friendly's,
Texas Roadhouse,
Carrabas,
Randy's Wooster Street Pizza,
Johnny Rockets,
Bellini's Italian Eatery,
Burton's Grill,
Moe's Southwestern Grill,
Sakura Garden,
Ted's Montana Grill,
Sawdee Thai,
Bertucci's,
Panera Bread,
and all the stuff in the food court of the mall.

I'm sure I"m missing a few also.

So, now you know.

Quote:
By the way I'm on my way out the door to check out West Farms area. I'll see how it stacks up.
It won't IMO - That's why I suggested Buckland. Westfarms is "okay" but it's not a major retail area like you seem to want. If you get this message before you go, I suggest going another 20 minutes East.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:42 PM

722 posts, read 1,973,001 times
i think they closed that olive garden

Old 01-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I'm no "swank" shopper myself, nor is my wife.

Well then, based on your reply...Guess where you should shop? Yep, right here in old Manchester in the Buckland section.

All the stores you listed in one shopping center? Honestly I don't know of a strip mall that holds ALL of those in one parking lot, but what we have here are shopping centers bordering each other.

The same route I laid out here in Buckland Hills Manchester has ever single store you mentioned and 10 times more and along the way and too eat you'll have:

Uno,
Ruby's,
Outback,
Red Robin,
Smokey Bones,
Pepe's Pizza,
John Harverd Brew House,
Bugaboo Creek,
Olive Garden,
Friendly's,
Texas Roadhouse,
Carrabas,
Johnny Rockets,
Burton's Grill,
Sakura Garden,
Ted's Montana Grill,
Sawdee Thai,
Bertucci's,
Panera Bread,

So, now you know.

It won't IMO - That's why I suggested Buckland. Westfarms is "okay" but it's not a major retail area like you seem to want. If you get this message before you go, I suggest going another 20 minutes East.
I wish you would of caught me......

Old 01-17-2009, 02:35 PM

34,649 posts, read 56,427,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
i think they closed that olive garden
Olive Garden is still there. Right at the corner of Buckland Street and Pleasant Valley Road. I was just by there the other day.

As for shopping, I do agree you should check out Buckland Hills in Manchester along with Evergreen Walk in South Windsor. There is just about every store you could want in the area. The mall at Buckland Hills is nothing special but then again what mall is. West Farms is good if you like more upscale indoor shopping. Jay

Old 01-17-2009, 04:58 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,924,672 times
Quote:
I wish you would of caught me......
Sorry, I tried! LOL Not that West Farms is horrible...I would compare it to Danbury Fair as I remember it. But I think I understand what you are looking for and that's why I suggested up here.

I don't know if you have ever used Google Street View, but click the link below and do a 360* around and then start to head down Hale Road and you can start to see all the shopping centers...cross Buckland Street and then go up and down Buckland Street as well.

It's not like being here but you can get a rough idea anyway.

buckland hills manchester - Google Maps

Quote:
Uno,
Ruby's,
Outback,
Red Robin,
Smokey Bones,
Pepe's Pizza,
John Harverd Brew House,
Bugaboo Creek,
Olive Garden,
Friendly's,
Texas Roadhouse,
Carrabas,
Johnny Rockets,
Burton's Grill,
Sakura Garden,
Ted's Montana Grill,
Sawdee Thai,
Bertucci's,
Panera Bread,

Sure enough I am/was:

Chilli's
Applebees
Friday's
Hometown Buffet
Between Rounds
Atlanta Bread Company Bakery Cafe

And of course all the quick places, KFC, Boston Market, Taco (H)Bell, McDonalds etc

I'm sure there's more too that's slipping my mind.

I'm going to start listing all the retail stores for you too and I'm sure I'll miss some but it goes something like this:
Kohls
Target
Best Buy
Circuit City
Marshalls
Walmart
Lowes
Home Depot
Dicks
Sports Authority
Bed Bath Beyond
Michael's
AC Moore
Christmas Tree Shops (If you never been...you'll love it. )
Thomasville
Raymour Flanagan
Ethan Allen
Guitar Store
Cape Cod Crafters
Bob's Stores
Lazy Boy (Furniture)
Petsmart
Pier One
Sams Club
BJ's
Office Max
Babies R Us
Toys R Us
Comp USA
Go Furniture (All the Sauder catalog stuff in real life)
iParty
Kaud Oriental Rugs
Ski Warehouse
Vanity Fair
DSW Shoe Warehouse
Gentlemans Warehouse
Omni Fitness
Vitamin Shoppe
Tweeter Etc
LL Bean
Old Navy (A huge one!)
Bernies
In Evergreen Walk you have:
Aerosoles
Amy's Hallmark
Ann Taylor Loft
Anthropologie
Appleseeds
Apricot Lane
BabyGap/GapKids
Banana Republic
Brighton Collectibles
Brooks Brothers
Brooks Brothers Women
Brookstone
Calendar Club - Go! The Game Store
Chicos 95
Christopher & Banks
Clarks
Cold Stone Creamery
Coldwater Creek
Comfort Zone
Comfort Zone Kids
Country Curtains
Destination Maternity®
Eddie Bauer
Emerald City Smoothie
Francesca's Collections
Front Page Sports
Fujun Be Well
Gap
GAP Maternity
Green Tangerine Spa & Salon
Highland Park Market
J. Jill
J.Crew
Jos. A. Bank Clothiers
Justice 103
Kirkland's Home
Lady Foot Locker
Leaps & Bones
L'Occitane
Lux Bond & Green
Munson's Chocolates
New Balance
Omaha Steaks
Papyrus
Portrait Innovations
Pottery Barn
Sakura Garden
Soft Surroundings
Sparkle
Starbucks
Stonewall Kitchen
Strasburg Children
Talbots
Ultra Diamonds
White House|Black Market
Williams-Sonoma
Then there's the mall that has another gazzlion stores...another post, I'm tired. LOL All that's in about 1 square mile of the mall. (Maybe less. )

Bottom line, when myself and others from this region say it's the retail Mecca, it is and we are not just beating our chest with regional boosterism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Olive Garden is still there. Right at the corner of Buckland Street and Pleasant Valley Road. I was just by there the other day.

As for shopping, I do agree you should check out Buckland Hills in Manchester along with Evergreen Walk in South Windsor. There is just about every store you could want in the area. The mall at Buckland Hills is nothing special but then again what mall is. West Farms is good if you like more upscale indoor shopping. Jay
Yea it's definitely still there - just went by about 20 minutes ago. The mall got a lot better after the X million dollar remodel. They got rid of the 80's vibe.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all the info. It sound s like I need to make the trip on a warmer day. Brrrrrrrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut