Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,353 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are considering a move to CT. I would be applying to UCONN but we'd possibly live in Windsor to be close to family.

Can anyone give me an idea of the drive from Windsor to UCONN at normal commute times? Traffic, length of time, etc.

This might be a daily commute depending on class schedules so I'm really concerned about the time.

Google Maps says its ~28miles and around 33 minutes, but I'm skeptical of their drive times.

And, yes, I know there are nice towns closer to UCONN. Windsor happens to meet a couple big needs for us right now.

Thanks in advance for the help and for the great forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 05:56 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,020 times
Hi there,

You shouldn't have too much trouble getting to Storrs from Windsor. Take RT 291 across through Manchester to RT 384 East, follow that to the end of the highway and continue on RT 44 East til you hit RT 195 (turn right) follow that to Uconn. Shouldn't take long at all. Traffic will all be heading opposite the way you're going.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,982,297 times
I know a pharmacy student that commutes from watertown, a professor that commutes twice a week from southbury, and I kno a kidd that lives on campus that is from bolton so it all depends. I dont think the commute is that bad.

maybe you'll make friends that will let u stay with them sometimes. this kid that lives 2 doors down from me has his friend from coventry stay wit him every thursday night when they got their lil crew together

Old 01-14-2009, 07:42 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Depending on where you live in Windsor, it is about 28 miles to UConn. That should take you about 30 to 45 minutes. Traffic is not normally a major issue in that commute. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-14-2009, 09:19 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,329 times
I used to commute from the Windsor area to UCONN.
You dont need to expect traffic pre say. But it took me closer to 45 minutes then a half hour.
I wouldn't want to commute it EVERY day, but if its a few times a week it may be okay.
But if gas prices go back up again, i wouldnt do it at all...Perhaps look into towns on the other side of the river such as South Windsor, Machester or Vernon to be that much closer.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM

103 posts, read 427,882 times
Expect 40 minutes - less if there is no traffic, weather and you drive fast. 291 has only two lanes so if there is an accident, plan on a long wait - but generally it's not bad.

If you can go to the other side of the river in South Windsor, that will save you ten minutes on your commute but you'll still be close to Windsor.

Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,353 times
Oops. Just revisited this thread after months. Forgot to say- Thanks for all the replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut