Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:27 AM

77 posts, read 279,792 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Ridgefield Ct very soon. We are planning to buy a home in the elementary school district that we like but our money is tied up with the sale of our home for several months. We may possibly have to rent a home that is outside of the elementary school district for a few months. Has anyone ever paid the county money so their child could be enrolled in the same elementary school and not have to be uprooted to another school after 3 months time? Anyone with first hand knowledge with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asil65 View Post
We are moving to Ridgefield, Conn., very soon. We are planning to buy a home in the elementary school district that we like but our money is tied up with the sale of our home for several months. We may possibly have to rent a home that is outside of the elementary school district for a few months. Has anyone ever paid the county money so their child could be enrolled in the same elementary school and not have to be uprooted to another school after 3 months time? Anyone with first hand knowledge with this?
It wouldn't be the county as each school is "by town for town residents" or "by grouping of towns (for regional school districts)."

I've heard of this in only three cases with two involving the transfer of property:

Case 1: House is sold with a few months remaining of the school year. Parents rent a house in a different town but drive child to former school. Fee is arranged.

Case 2: Parents buy a house but don't close on it until after the school year starts. School requests to see Purchase-and-Sale agreement. Parents agree to provide transportation until closing date. Fee is often waived.

Case 3: (I'm using an example that once existed.) Cheshire agrees to accept 50 students residing in neighboring Prospect (before Woodland was built). Parents of the 51st student request admittance for their child. Depending on circumstances, admittance might be granted.

NOTE: There's always the case of children of divorced parents and who has primary custody but parents and/or child wants to go to school system provided by non-custodial parent.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:53 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I agree with Rich, but also note that some communities may be reluctant to accept outside students if the school is overcrowded. There is nothing requiring a district to accept a student from outside that district. You might be wise to rent in the district you want to eventually buy in so this would not be a problem. Also consider looking at a rent-to-own option. With the economy the way it is, this may be a good option for you. Good luck, Jay

Old 01-16-2009, 08:18 AM

Ridgefield has several elementary schools and we found one that we adore. We are in the process of making an offer on the house in the elementary district that we would like but our closing date will have to be in a couple of months. I just thought that a school might make an exception so the poor child does not have to change schools after a couple of months again. I suppose we could try to rent something unfurnished in the district and live scantily for a couple of months on aero beds and such. It would just be much easier to live in a furnished apartment and onlly deal with one big move when we move into our house. So if Ican show a contract or offer to pay for the specific school this might be a possibility?

Old 01-16-2009, 10:33 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
I'd call the town hall.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I'd call the elementary school and ask to speak to the principal, and explain your situation. We moved mid-year, and all we had to do was furnish a copy of our closing contract after we moved. Or you could call the school superintendent for that school district, and ask what you can do. It will be up to the school/or superintendent.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:51 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
Quote:
Ridgefield has several elementary schools and we found one that we adore. We are in the process of making an offer on the house in the elementary district that we would like but our closing date will have to be in a couple of months. I just thought that a school might make an exception so the poor child does not have to change schools after a couple of months again. I suppose we could try to rent something unfurnished in the district and live scantily for a couple of months on aero beds and such. It would just be much easier to live in a furnished apartment and only deal with one big move when we move into our house. So if I can show a contract or offer to pay for the specific school this might be a possibility?
This is similar to my Case #2. If you're from out of state, your argument will be stronger. Definitely call the school after your offer is accepted.

I had another possible point for your argument: if there aren't any children living in that property who are currently attending school, then why not? It's not like "3 currently going down to 2" which would be in the school's interest (especially if overcrowding is an issue). But if it's "0 currently going to 1," they're gaining that one inevitably!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:50 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Ridgefield has several elementary schools and we found one that we adore. We are in the process of making an offer on the house in the elementary district that we would like but our closing date will have to be in a couple of months. I just thought that a school might make an exception so the poor child does not have to change schools after a couple of months again. I suppose we could try to rent something unfurnished in the district and live scantily for a couple of months on aero beds and such. It would just be much easier to live in a furnished apartment and onlly deal with one big move when we move into our house. So if Ican show a contract or offer to pay for the specific school this might be a possibility?
If you have a signed sales contract, I believe most towns will let you enroll the student in the anticipated school. I do not think that they will charge you for it. Best to check with the towns policy on this to be sure. Jay

Old 01-16-2009, 05:04 PM

I actually have emailed the superintendent and sent a formal letter. Today I called the principal. No one has gotten back to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'd call the elementary school and ask to speak to the principal, and explain your situation. We moved mid-year, and all we had to do was furnish a copy of our closing contract after we moved. Or you could call the school superintendent for that school district, and ask what you can do. It will be up to the school/or superintendent.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM

How do I check on what the towns policy is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If you have a signed sales contract, I believe most towns will let you enroll the student in the anticipated school. I do not think that they will charge you for it. Best to check with the towns policy on this to be sure. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut