Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 08:41 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,682,989 times

Advertisements

OK, maybe this might have been discussed previously. I know I brought up the topic of best pizza in the Hartford area. What about burger bars, or just pubs with good burgers? I've come across a few really good ones I thought I'd share. Hartford magazine actually did a story on this a few months back, and even mentioned some of the places I listed below, but I'd like I'd still love to get some feedback to see what anybody else can recommend. And yes, that can include chains. So here's what I've got:

Plan B (WH, Simsbury, Glastonbury) - probably my favorite place. Great food and beer, and just a great hangout

Wood N Tap - they have these mini-burgers like at PlanB and they're awesome

The Counter Burger - this is a new place that just opened up. I've been here twice and it's delicious. A bit pricy but good

The Corner Pug (Elmwood) - Just a good place for a traditional burger. Good eats for this and other pub grub.

Red Robin (Manchester, but I think there's afew more elsewhere. This is the only one I've been to.)

Five Guys Burgers & Fries (Avon and Farmington) - good, greasy eats. LOVE the fries!!!

Those are the ones that come to mind. Is anybody from Manchester? I've heard raves about this place there on Main St called Corey's Catsup & Mustard but haven't been there yet but I'm workin' on it. Anybody know this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 04:41 AM

625 posts, read 2,040,975 times
Plan B is my favorite, hands down. Five Guys is good also, but a different type of burger (more fast-foody, but still delicious).

I have been to Corey's Catsup & Mustard and it is very good too. I'd recommend a trip.

The hubby and I just went to The Spot Eatery in West Hartford last night. It's on New Britain Ave, right on the Hartford line, at the corner of Merline. We hadn't been before but had heard good things from others. It was great. Good selection of unique burgers, very reasonable prices (most were between $5-$6) and some excellent fries with a bunch of different varieties. I'll definitely go back. It's apparently wildly popular with Trinity College students and Hartford Hospital staff. And they offer free delivery to a pretty wide area. We were chatting with the owner and he mentioned that they deliver to CCSU students, which is fairly out of the way. Here's a review from the Courant... Burgers, Hot Dogs Hit The Spot -- Courant.com I'll be writing a blog review next week and posting some pictures.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Corey's in Manchester is great and privately owned. It's an old converted and remodeled pub on Main Street, Downtown.

http://www.catsupandmustard.com

http://www.catsupandmustard.com/pics/slideshow.html

FYI Red Robin and 5 Guys are chains. Nothing wrong with that, I just wanted to point it out.

The Pug is actually one of my customers and owned by the same family as Tapas. (Another one of my customers. ) Please support them so I can continue to get their business.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:30 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,385,949 times
Not sure if you're interested in Springfield, MA. But WHITE HUT their is incredible!!

Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,682,989 times
Amy - thanks for the tip. So The Spot really hits the spot, eh? I'll have to check it out. I've driven by it several times since someone I knew used to have an apartment on Hillcrest, so I know exactly where it is. But of all the times I drove by, it never seemed like a hoppin' place, though now that I know someone who's been and likes it I'll pay a visit.

JV - yeah, I know RR and Five Guys are chains, but they're still good. It wasn't until after I went there that I realized they're nationwide. They're different, though. it's not like a McDonald's, where the cheese glows in the dark , hahaha. One of these days I'll make it over to Manchester to Cory's, I've seen the menu and it looks awesome. Problem is, I live and work west of the river, and most of my friends live there as well. But I'll get there at some point. And I'll def. be back to Corner Pug, Ihaven't been lately but I LOVE that place. Tisane I haven't been to yet but it's on my list.

KH02 - I think I've heard of that place. I used to go to Springfield all the time, and I still go occassionally since I have friends in Chicopee next door. I'll ask them about that place, and next time I'm in Springfield I'll put it on my list. Thanx 4 the tip!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,206,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyBergquist View Post
Plan B is my favorite, hands down. Five Guys is good also, but a different type of burger (more fast-foody, but still delicious).

I have been to Corey's Catsup & Mustard and it is very good too. I'd recommend a trip.

The hubby and I just went to The Spot Eatery in West Hartford last night. It's on New Britain Ave, right on the Hartford line, at the corner of Merline. We hadn't been before but had heard good things from others. It was great. Good selection of unique burgers, very reasonable prices (most were between $5-$6) and some excellent fries with a bunch of different varieties. I'll definitely go back. It's apparently wildly popular with Trinity College students and Hartford Hospital staff. And they offer free delivery to a pretty wide area. We were chatting with the owner and he mentioned that they deliver to CCSU students, which is fairly out of the way. Here's a review from the Courant... Burgers, Hot Dogs Hit The Spot -- Courant.com I'll be writing a blog review next week and posting some pictures.
I've heard good things about The Spot, as well. I haven't gotten to eat there yet, but will soon I hope.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM

326 posts, read 1,447,046 times
I am no burger expert, but I like the minis at South Tavern, in South Glastonbury.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 6,527,140 times
Question to anyone who has been to Corey's - is it kid friendly? Do they have highchairs? I know some of the pub type places don't so just want to check before venturing out. thanks

Old 01-21-2009, 06:15 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,916,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Question to anyone who has been to Corey's - is it kid friendly? Do they have highchairs? I know some of the pub type places don't so just want to check before venturing out. thanks
Hmm, a piece of me says yes, but I honestly don't know. Best bet is to just give a call over before going.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 AM

3,969 posts, read 6,527,140 times
Thanks JV - we'll give a call and try it out this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut