Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM

131 posts, read 477,275 times

Advertisements

Are there bald eagles in CT? I thought I saw one near Lordship airport a couple of days ago. It was too big to be a turkey buzzard, but it was a little too far away to see it's markings clearly. NYC released 4 every spring for 4 years from Inwood Hill Park in upper Manhattan in an attempt to re-introduce them, I wonder if it could have flown north from that area.
This bird looked like it had a five or six foot wingspan. It was definitely a raptor of some sort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 08:11 PM

326 posts, read 1,446,941 times
We do. The best sighting I have had so far was last summer on the Connecticut river while I was crossing it on the ferry.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:38 PM

154 posts, read 798,987 times
There is actually an eagle get together soon (or perhaps it just passed) where you go out on this hike with a group and they look at the eagle nests and can take photos, etc. It was advertised in one of the local flyers. My father saved it for me but it was too cold for me to be out there. They are in a number of areas around the state. There were even a couple seen in Meriden and they supposedly have some nests here but I can't recall the area.

There are also lots of large hawks which circle the area. I wish they'd stop by here and take a few squirrels with them.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:39 PM

10,164 posts, read 20,699,676 times
For the longest time there has been a nest on top of a utility pole as you make the turn off from I-95 on your way to Foxwoods. It's huge.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,888 times
i saw one in early 2008 on my way to work in new york from connecticut it was on route 84 west at around extis 5 or 6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weesy68 View Post
Are there bald eagles in CT? I thought I saw one near Lordship airport a couple of days ago. It was too big to be a turkey buzzard, but it was a little too far away to see it's markings clearly. NYC released 4 every spring for 4 years from Inwood Hill Park in upper Manhattan in an attempt to re-introduce them, I wonder if it could have flown north from that area.
This bird looked like it had a five or six foot wingspan. It was definitely a raptor of some sort.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:39 PM

240 posts, read 1,364,304 times
Up here in the NW hills area the Bald Eagle is a common site if you know where to go. Believe it or not, right along the Housatonic River in New Milford just north of Veterans Bridge is a good place to see them in the WINTER. Connecticuts eagles are migrants from northern New England and eastern Canada. If the river is frozen over, forget it. They like open waters for the fish.
I had a terrific sighting late last winter traveling 202 about a mile north of New Preston. Had a crow in hot persuit (like the eagle was concerned) The eagle landed high up in a tree, I had to pull over off the road to view safely. It just hung out about 5 minutes and flew off.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:46 PM

119 posts, read 367,570 times
I saw one once (and only once) in Fairfield near Smith-Richardson Golf Course. It was perched on a stump in someone's yard about 40' off the road. I was looking at it as I drove by and thought it was fake because A) it was so big and B) I thought "that looks like an Eagle". By the time what I saw registered in my head and I turned the car around, it was gone.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:37 PM

403 posts, read 1,320,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom62 View Post
Up here in the NW hills area the Bald Eagle is a common site if you know where to go. Believe it or not, right along the Housatonic River in New Milford just north of Veterans Bridge is a good place to see them in the WINTER. Connecticuts eagles are migrants from northern New England and eastern Canada. If the river is frozen over, forget it. They like open waters for the fish.
I had a terrific sighting late last winter traveling 202 about a mile north of New Preston. Had a crow in hot persuit (like the eagle was concerned) The eagle landed high up in a tree, I had to pull over off the road to view safely. It just hung out about 5 minutes and flew off.
Really? I grew up in New Milford and never knew there was a good place to see them. I'll have to let my parents know, thanks for the info!!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 AM

1 posts, read 4,668 times
Exclamation Softshoed Texan

CT definitely has bald eagles and a birding club to help us see them more closely, altho I can't remember the name of it. (If you are really interested in being a birder, I can find the name.) Every weekend in the month of February, in Essex, CT you can take a boat ride along the Connecticut River and see the eagles flying along the shore and their huge nests up in the trees. They love this area and there's got to be 100 birds around Essex. The cost is nominal. Essex has a few good restaurants too.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
I just saw one today in Meriden Connecticut on Pomeroy Ave. He was amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut