Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 08:43 PM

947 posts, read 3,571,872 times

Advertisements

I lived in Southeastern CT..a nice town of about 14,000 people or so.

I never ran into any problems.. people were fairly friendly.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:39 PM

12 posts, read 40,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatergirl View Post
Also--don't want to be slammed for saying this, but it's a big factor here--many Jewish people do not interact with non-Jews. I'm outright ignored by some neighbors for this reason. (others have confirmed this)
I will be another person to confirm this. In 2001, my family and I, who are Catholic, moved to the Bishops Corner area of West Hartford. It's home to several synagogues and a majority of the town's Jewish community. Shortly after we moved in, I was talking to my neighbors. It went very well, you know, welcoming us to the neighborhood etc. However, when I mentioned that I attended Northwest Catholic and not Hall High, they responded with a dissapointed "oh." We didn't speak after that. We barely saw our neighbors, and when we did, there was little-to-no interaction. People always had their shades shut, kept to themselves. Thankfully, I moved to Newington in February. Good riddance to the stuck up West Hartfordites.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,645 times
I grew up in CT. I don't think it is rudeness, I believe people are more reserved. It's just a respect of privacy. Not everyone wants to engage in random conversations with strangers or smile at everyone they see.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:56 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,652,853 times
I think reserved is a good term for it. It is not that people are not nice as some of the necest people, if not the nicest I have met are from CT. I live in the South now and we were out for breakfast a couple of weekends ago. The manager of the restaurant, who was a nice person, but took it too far. He kept stopping by to talk to us and play with our 2 boys. It got to the point that we couldn't even have our own conversation without being interrupted. Nice but rude at the same time.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:02 AM

16 posts, read 66,656 times
Aaaw, Westguy22, just be glad they're not New Yorkers! Now, they can be rude! LOL Just kidding... I've traveled a great deal in my years and have lived in a number of places throughout the U.S.-- each area throughout our country- even throughout the world, for that matter- has its own "vibe", you know... Who knows how each started- but, throughout the years, the folks who reside there just take up and follow suit.
...just remember, even in the toughest cities, Like NYC (where I live), there are kind, down-to-earth folks too. On a whole CT may feel "cold" to you now, but I bet if you lived there for a while, you'd find some true kindred spirits!.... as my Mom taught me: The really special people may be rare and harder to find, but it's worth it when you find them!
God's Speed!

Old 10-02-2007, 11:12 AM

18 posts, read 59,730 times
I have to agree that they are reserved....Ive been visiting Connecticut my entire 40 years (all my aunts and uncles, cousins, and Grandparents live up there and have for generations).....I dont think people mean to be unfriendly but they dont necessarily need to make friends as they tend to stay put and so are a bit more inward looking than outward.....my family up there is lovely and I find them reserved as I grew up in Northern Va. (more Southern than Northern in friendliness) BUT Connecticut is LOVELY!
best of luck

Old 11-14-2007, 05:02 AM

893 posts, read 790,621 times
Oh Lolls

I feel so bad for you running into this forum.. I learned from the start if something is bad in Ct it it due to New York or New Yorkers but definitly not the People of Connecticut. You evidently didn't watch the Stepford Wives. Where wouldn't they notice the perfect neighborhood "Connecticut ofcourse" I didn't say it, Hollywood did. May the Connecticut forum haver mercy on Lolls soul. People are entitled to have their own thoughts even if you don't agree with them. FREE SPEECH for everyone not just the people from Connecticut. Oh by the way I live here. Litchfield county has lovely people.

Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM

44 posts, read 163,728 times
I can totally understand about the "rudeness"/"aloofness" of CT residents. I was born and raised here - so when I visit other states on vacation, I am quite surprised at their friendliness. And when I travel usually south, I'm also surprised and sometimes pissed off at their lack of speed!!! I'm so used to being on the go and in a rush, and when I stop at a store in some southern places, I find I'm upset at their "slowness" or "lack of hurriedness"---but then I think about it, and I realize us CTers are the ones who need to slow down, rather than others speed up to satisfy us.

All CT people need to sit back and smell the coffee/the roses or whatever it is they say---CT people are just always, always on the go----I guess it comes from many of us sitting in I-95 traffic every day, hurrying up to go 20 miles to work, fighting traffic, and taking over an hour to get there. Yet, on the weekends, it takes less than 20 minutes to make the exact same trip!!

I've learned, when out of CT, to get used to the workers being slower than in CT---I can't always be "on the go".

Patty

Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
One of the things that bothers me most about the south is the slowness of the people. I am not a Type A person or anything, but it is just down right unacceptable to me that people do not do their jobs in a timely manner and do not care if things are done or not. My concerns extend from a vacation in Florida years ago. On the second day there, we were in an accident and the car we drove down needed body work. The insurance claim was approved in a day and the body shop was authorized to proceed with the work immediately with the understanding that we needed the vehicle ready in 10 days. Well we went on our merry way trying to enjoy our vacation without a car. A week later we went by the shop to see how things were going and they had not even moved the vehicle. We went balistic. I was still in school and was missing a week already. The owner did not seem to care. My uncle threatened a lawsuit and had his lawyer call the owner. It got them moving and we picked up the car a week later. The paint wasn't even dry. Very frustrating and it left a permanent impression on me. Jay

Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 AM

893 posts, read 790,621 times
I thought I'd die the first two months when we lived in Danbury waiting for our house. Nobody makes eye contact as the REST of the U S does. They do not acknoledge your existence. Makes for a very lonely move. Then I found Litchfield county, Woodbury is where I feel in love with Connecticut. The people are just like everywhere else we've lived. Oh, there is the occassional jerk who is rude but they are everywhere. Alot of time on here is spent defending why they are so great (then they retire somewhere else.) For now, we love where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut