Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM

139 posts, read 636,211 times

Advertisements

Heck we chose Lamont as our democratic candidate for the Senate over Lieberman, only to vote Lieberman in as our Senator as an independent.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 27,598 times
I was born in Norwalk and raised in Wilton (in the 60's and 70's) and now live with my family in Norwalk.

Things have changed dramaticlly over the years! I do think there is an 'attitude' in Fairfield County in particular that could closely be descibed as rude. We chose to live in Norwalk not because of financial constraints but really because the people here seem more diverse and frankly more friendly.

Yet even here we find the effort required to 'be nice' can be tiring! That said, we visited friends in Old Syabrook last weekend and it seemed to us (although we may be jaded) that people went out of their way to be polite and engaging in conversation.

Maybe you just need to get away from the ever widening NYC influence? (We'd like to).

Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
fleeingffldcnty

well there is actually another Connecticut- come to Tolland, Windham and New London counties- we try and be real here. And its a hell of allot cheaper!

Old 03-22-2007, 12:56 PM

291 posts, read 1,781,558 times
I have noticed that people are nicer the farther away from fairfield county you get.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:00 PM

84 posts, read 441,836 times
I'm curious as to what constitutes rude behavior on the part of all these Fairfield County citizens (other than the driving and not saying "thank you" mentioned in previous posts). Also, what do you mean when you describe snooty or elitist behavior? Just curious, because we are moving to CT soon and prior to reading this post I was very excited. Now I'm a bit aprehensive. I'm not worried about encountering reserved behavior, and I don't tend to interpret someone's behavior as snooty or elitist if they are reserved. I just think that they are reserved. But, the opinions on this thread seem to be so entrenched about how rude the FFC citizens are that I'm rethinking our location. I would love further clarification.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 PM

15 posts, read 49,390 times
Having lived all over the state (and currently in Stamford in Fairfield County)

As a fact
People in CT are Rude - (Fairfield County is especially bad)
Its a sense of entitlement - You can feel it especially so from the wealthier and poorer people...In some ways I feel they act the same here

The middle class people from Fairfield County are generally much better behaved -
Remember that Fairfield County is a separate world from the rest of the state

North of Fairfield County the people do get friendlier - The aloofness and detachment are still evident though

Even the wealthier areas of Hartford County are much different than Fairfield County (Having lived in Avon)

Its nothing I would be scared of - Most people I know generally like meeting those from out of state

Old 03-30-2007, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,705 times
Well, here are my 2 cents. Originally from the South (most of my life) - Virginia to be exact, I have been living in North Haven for almost 3 years. I have adjusted to the culture and actually love it now! I have friends in Fairfield, New Haven and Hartford Counties. I agree, they are all different. Stereotypes are quite typical anywhere you live, though. The people that I know where I live are just as wealthy as the ones that I know in Fairfield Co. and typically have the same mannerism - not too friendly, but not too rude, either. A bit of arrogance, but not overboard. Those north of us are more down to earth, but are not wealthy, either. I am finding that it is actually the younger group of people (teenagers) who are more social class divided here. Also, I am a stay at home wife/mom who left her career by choice to spend more time with family and about 90% of the women that I have met here are in the same boat. I guess that deems us the "desperate housewives" of suburbia USA to include much of the drama that goes with it. I guess I like it so much here more for the faster pace and the fact that I have so much more in common with others than I did in VA. Not to mention, there is never a boring moment here! CT is a beautiful little state with so much to do and everything is just about an hour away. Situated between 2 of the biggest metropolises (NYC & Boston), it is ideal for anyone who wants the high life of the big city, but can go home to sounds of peacefulness. Forget the rudeness or snob attitudes, it is exists if that is what you interpret it to be, but when you get to know those exact people who you thought were rude, they may end up becoming your best friends. Just my personal experience.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:04 AM

82 posts, read 280,816 times
I am tired of hearing how people in the south and midwest are so nice and have better manners while northeasterners or New Englanders are rude and ill-mannered.

I just have to chime in here and say that there are rude people in every state across this great nation of ours. The northeast or CT does not have a monopoly on rudeness. I have lived in states that some perceive as "rude" but never felt that the reputation was deserved. Yet, I moved to the midwest expecting the friendly reputation. Instead, I found that there are just as many tailgaters, had just as many doors slammed in my face, just as many dirty looks, just as many smiles unreturned, received just as many adult hand gestures while driving, met just as many cold, unfriendly people, etc... And the aloofness that some describe is alive and well here in the midwest also. I've also experienced all of the same in the southwest.

So maybe part of the problem is a combination of preconceived notions and expecations. I don't know. But, from my experience, people are people no matter where you go. There are people who are perpetually unhappy while others who just have a bad day every now and then. All that you can do is control the way you treat others. If you treat others with respect and courtesy, you are going to find that 9 times out of 10 you will get the same in return. Don't let those few people get you down or the bad attitude will perpetuate itself and you might find yourself rude to the next person you meet.

Also, one other thing to remember is that the faster the pace of life, the less people seem to take the time to be courteous. I don't think that necessarily means that the area has more rude people. If you catch them during their leisure time, you will probably find them just as pleasant as the next person.

p.s. I don't blame those who came to the defense of CT on ths thread. Yankee pride runs deep and Connectonians have a lot to be proud of...it's a great place to live.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:15 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Well said Sugarlips! I have noticed the same thing but never put it as eloquently.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:02 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,855 times
Default More Scared than Rude or Reserved......

I honestly believe that most rude behavior is exhibited to mask fear. The closer one gets to New York ie Fairfield County the higher the "Fear Threshold." People in this neck of the woods are under enormous pressure from a multitude of sources. No excuse just reasons. It's hard to survive here.
Yet some of these same "Rude" people are the most decent people anywhere once one gets to know them. People seem to be afraid of any type of intimacy...A simple hello can be met with deep suspicion. It is sad indeed. I agree with the writer from the Tolland County area ,folks up there are much more approachable perhaps less afraid. People in Connecticut are like people from anywhere else,
some scared some less scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut