Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2007, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 5,577 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am going to be attending UConn Law this next year and am relocating to CT from RI, along with my wife and daughter. We are going to be purchasing a house in the mid 300's and want to find a safe town with a neighborhood feel. Our daughter is currently 1, but we also want to find a town with a good school system so that we can stay there beyond law school. We are a young couple and want things to do, with a good downtown area with shopping, restaurants, etc. But most importantly we want a safe neighborhood for our daughter to play and a short commute to the law school (which is on the hartford/west hartford border). Thank you in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 11:31 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
West Hartford fits the bill. Walkable town center that has many restaurants and shops, good school system (people say the Hall district is better than Conard, both are high schools), and every store you can ever want within a couple minutes drive. West Farms Mall is on the W. Hartford/Farmington line and there is a Target, Best Buy, Trader Joe's etc. right in that area. Whole Foods is right in West Hartford center, as is the currently under construction Blue Back Square which will bring even more life to WH center. It's a nice town with an easy commute for you. Search this forum for "West Hartford" and you will see tons of threads about it.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:38 AM

139 posts, read 636,211 times
I would second that. West Hartford sounds like the place for you.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:17 PM

24 posts, read 76,814 times
Ditto the above.

And welcome to the law school. I won't divulge my identity, but I'll be a 3L there next year.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 18,455 times
Where is a nice, safe town (like the one in the "gilmore girls" that my husband and I could relocate to ? We're not rich like the lady above- but just average joes in our 40's looking for a nice place to hang our hat and work.

(nice suburbs- no ghettos)

Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 AM

4 posts, read 18,455 times
PS My nephew is starting law school there in the fall

I hear it's very pretty that time of year- I'm originally from a suburb of boston- (about 15 minutes north)

We are from OHIO and have been trying to move back for years- it's been just too expensive and not very pet friendly.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:32 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samborino View Post
PS My nephew is starting law school there in the fall

I hear it's very pretty that time of year- I'm originally from a suburb of boston- (about 15 minutes north)

We are from OHIO and have been trying to move back for years- it's been just too expensive and not very pet friendly.
East of the River in the Hartford Metro!

Manchester, Vernon, South Windsor, Tolland, Coventry, Bolton and Glastonbury if you have a little more in the bank.

Depending on what you are looking for each one of those towns are affordable, accessable to everything and decent places to live each with it's own character - again, depending on what you want.

Good luck and welcome "home"!

Old 03-17-2007, 03:59 PM

41 posts, read 127,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samborino View Post
Where is a nice, safe town (like the one in the "gilmore girls" that my husband and I could relocate to ? We're not rich like the lady above- but just average joes in our 40's looking for a nice place to hang our hat and work.

(nice suburbs- no ghettos)
Canton is a nice place to work, good town feeling. Avon, Farmington, and Simsbury are very nice towns as well. The homes are expensive here but there are options for you. I live a pud development with lots of couples in your age range. There are not a lot of kids in our development so it is very very quiet. We are selling our 1150 sq. ft 3 bedroom home for $200,000. Some of the small homes here do sell for a bit less. It is a nice area with walking paths and a pond. So don't feel like you can't afford these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut