Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 01:27 PM

9,861 posts, read 14,188,217 times

Advertisements

Starbucks is slated to close another round of 300 stores nationwide.

This was bound to happen eventually with such a terrible economy. The first thing to go is the expensive coffee from most people's budgets.

Anyway, have any of you stopped going to Starbucks, or trimmed down the visits, during this economic crunch time? I have stopped going from almost everyday to about once--maybe twice--per week.

I also wonder how many CT Starbucks will be affected by these most recent closures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 02:36 PM

163 posts, read 372,716 times
There are 500 stores within a 50 mile radius of Stamford. I would guesstimate that the stores showing a certain % of Gross sales decline will obviously go first. Personally they brought this on themselves by charging so much for The profit margin is insane, but not as much now with a dead economy.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:41 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,604,359 times
I am not sure if Starbucks can be termed "expensive"

I still go to Starbucks regularly. There is no more deeply religious experience than grabbing some cappuccino and work up a ten year yield on my laptop

Even during the weekend, I drive up to Connecticut avenue and do book reading inside Barnes and Nobles. They have a cool Starbucks stall.

Back in NC, I used to alternate between Starbucks and Caribou. Haven't seen any Caribou place here, yet.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:42 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,830,893 times
To be honest I have only had their coffee once, and didn't care for it. But I only drink coffee first thing in the morning anyway. I've never understood the lure of coffee shops.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:46 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,912,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

I still go to Starbucks regularly. There is no more deeply religious experience than grabbing some cappuccino and work up a ten year yield on my laptop

Even during the weekend, I drive up to Connecticut avenue and do book reading inside Barnes and Nobles. They have a cool Starbucks stall.

Back in NC, I used to alternate between Starbucks and Caribou. Haven't seen any Caribou place here, yet.
Starbucks isn't too expensive if you stick with coffee. I pay $1.75 for a small coffee (which is a few ounces more than Dunkin's small) and most other places charge about the same, if not more.

Once you get to the specialty lattes and such, you're talking well over $3 or $4.

I think Starbucks' problem is they opened too many locations too quickly. Hopefully they won't shut the one near me because Dunkin coffee just doesn't do it for me - too watery blah.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:57 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,475,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Anyway, have any of you stopped going to Starbucks, or trimmed down the visits, during this economic crunch time? I have stopped going from almost everyday to about once--maybe twice--per week.

I also wonder how many CT Starbucks will be affected by these most recent closures?
My coffee addiction started when I lived in Seattle.Yes, I have cut back to about a couple visits per month. I'm settling for gas station coffee or I grind up the beans and make my own.
Starbucks sells a good product. The pastries, frapps, sodas, etc are good plus the stores are a great place to socialize. So, I'm sorry to hear that they are cutting back but they did saturate the market. We have about 6 Starbucks on one street alone. Too much of a good thing.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:22 PM

163 posts, read 372,716 times
Kid: If I need a pick me up at DD I get a Medium coffee turbo (with shot of espresso) or latte'. About 2.75. That cup of java actually costs under 25 cents to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Dunkin coffee just doesn't do it for me - too watery blah.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:33 PM

103 posts, read 426,406 times
You won't see me at Starbucks anymore...I make my own and put in a travel mug. I like Whole Foods store brand... In a pickle, I'll find a McDonalds. Unless I need to use a public restroom...then I'll spring for the coffee at Starbucks to pay for the cleaner facilities.

Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,604,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Beganski View Post
You won't see me at Starbucks anymore...I make my own and put in a travel mug. I like Whole Foods store brand... In a pickle, I'll find a McDonalds. Unless I need to use a public restroom...then I'll spring for the coffee at Starbucks to pay for the cleaner facilities.
Ah, one of those "i hold my flask religiously all the way to work and around" I have seen in lifts, corridors and aisles

Male/Female ratio: 20/80

Old 02-02-2009, 03:58 PM

9,861 posts, read 14,188,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

You know, Caribou hasn't made its way into the northeast yet. I'm not sure if it will--but I'd love it to. I loved Caribou when I lived in Atlanta. I went there all the time and rarely to Starbucks.

Caribou is growing slowly, unlike Starbucks which exploded in growth ever since like 2000 or so. Prior to 2000, I can remember looking online at new locations, wishing a location would pop up near me. I lived in Tucson in 1996, when they got their first one and I would go religiously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut