U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 PM

8,949 posts, read 10,859,688 times

Advertisements

Ok, time to stir it up. In my continuing research to find a new home in Connecticut, I am now looking at Torrington. Just as some background-- I grew up in Fairfield County and left for college. Now at age 35 I am coming back in November and have a number of criteria:

1) Someplace where they have affordable rentals-- I don't want to spend a lot on housing. I am a corporate technical trainer and am home less than one week a year, however, when I am home I want to enjoy it.

2) I want low rent-- Want to sock lots of money away and eventually purchase.

3) I want somewhat convenient access to visit my brother in Enfield, some what reasonable access to the airports, and I want a more suburban rather than rural or urban environment.

4) High speed internet access and cable must be readily available. (This may be a forgone conclusion in CT, but not in Texas, where I am moving from).

5) I'd like a somewhat diverse community that has a few places to eat and has the kind of places where they get to know you after a while. No pretension. I'm not looking to move back to Fairfield County.

So what are the merits of Torrington? It seems to get trashed on this forum, but what doesn't. What is the reason to live in Torrington? What's the reason not to?

I'm not looking to move in and make a bunch of friends. I have my friends, I have my family. I am just looking for a place where I can live affordably. I have seen a number of appealing apartments on CL in Torrington.

Thanks-- And let's avoid just bashing. I don't find that helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:27 PM

18,952 posts, read 25,691,817 times
I don't know much about Torrington but when I went there it seemed decent. The immediate area surrounding the city is pretty rural so it seems like it can get a little boring, but maybe someone who has lived there can comment on that. Most people there seem very down to earth too. Route 8 between Thomaston and Torrington never has traffic (sometimes no cars) so it's a fairly quick ride to the Watertown/Waterbury area. I'm not sure about restaurants there, but most of CT has a lot of family owned restaurants.

You should also check out the Manchester area. It's a decent city that matches all of your criteria (perhaps more than Torrington) and it's much closer to Enfield. Good luck!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:22 AM

1,679 posts, read 2,739,121 times
People from Torrington I know like it because they say it has a small town feel for a big city. and I guess they feel it has a more friendly personal atmosphere where everyone knows you.

Torrington is a little strange because it is a largish city in the middle of nowhere. The closest city is Waterbury. So it is a hike from most places. But depending on where you work that might not be a problem.

If you are only home 1 week per year why would you rent anywhere? If I were home only 1 week per year I would spend that week in Miami or something.

Based on you criteria I would choose hartford/east hartford/New Britain over torrington.

1.) High speed Internet - you can get this everywhere there is cable tv. I have high speed internet through comcast. Does it make sense to get internet when you are home 1 week per year?

2.) Low rent. Hartford/east hartford have very low rent. You can get single apartments in the West end for 650$ per month. Same with east hartford. New Britain probably has around 600. So all three are probably comperable to Torrington.

3.) Access to Enfield and airports. Torrington is very secluded for a city. Bradley is about 1 hour 10 minutes away. Enfield is also about 1 hour away. This would favor hartford/east hartford which are only about 25 min from airport and about 25 min from enfield.

4.) Places to eat not pretentious. Sounds like Torrington would be pretty unpretentious and definately a place where you could get to know people. That is the feeling I get from talking to people from Torrington. Hartford area has more restaurantes and more selection of places though.

I think Torrington has gotten trashed in the forum because it has been deteriorating economically and it has failing schools. This has a lot to do with a bad crowd moving in from waterbury. The school system was once OK but now there are gangs and it is not good. There is also more crime.
The result is a drop in real estate prices.

The hartford area has more to offer then Torrington so I think you would like it better there.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:40 AM

8,155 posts, read 19,403,193 times
Torrington is what I would consider a twin to Norwich.

Both cities have that "lost and forgotten" feel to them and are removed from "mainstream" CT due to location.

I think Torrington has an upper hand to Norwich, but the similarities are there.

Torrington is a decent city but not quite "there" yet. I've always been watching it just waiting for the city to "bloom" because it's surrounded by high dollar weekend estates for Manhattenites. There have been some plans laid out, and they fall flat.

It's really gone nowhere. You do have a lot of "modern" shopping etc about 20 minutes to the East via RT 44 in Canton, but it's a bit of a haul on a secondary road.

Weather wise, Torrington has a little cooler and longer Winter as well. The trees lose their leaves a little earlier and get them a little later. The surrounding countryside is beautiful for sure.

Based on what you are looking for, I would skip on Torrington. I don't think it's terrible, I just don't think it's what you will want. It's a pretty quiet city without much around it.

Whoever said Manchester, IMHO was spot on. I would have said West Hartford as well, but the affordable thing goes out the window there.

The thing that Manchester also will give you is access to DT Hartford in about 10 minutes via the interstate which opens your possibilities for "nightlife" etc IF and WHEN you want it. Not to say there are not things to do in Manchester...there are plenty, but it's nice to have a "major" CT city and capitol so close for events and "things".

Apartments here are affordable and diverse.

You also have very pretty countryside "over here" too if you want it. Not 100% to the Northwest standard, but very good as well.

The ocean is closer here then there as well if that matters to you.

Middletown also comes to mind, but you will be a good haul to Enfield.

Hope that helps, and is a totally unbiased opinion. I'm just saying it as I see it.

Good luck!

Last edited by JViello; 02-06-2009 at 05:59 AM..

Old 02-06-2009, 06:46 AM

786 posts, read 3,668,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
3) I want somewhat convenient access to visit my brother in Enfield, some what reasonable access to the airports, and I want a more suburban rather than rural or urban environment.
Nothing wrong with Torrington, but based on your criteria - especially #3, I don't think Torrington is what you are looking for. Like others have said, it is a small city, surrounded by rural areas. It's quite a haul to the airport and to Enfield. I don't know other areas well enough to make recommendations but think you would be better off looking South or East of Hartford. Perhaps Bristol is worth looking into.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:31 AM

29,807 posts, read 46,905,960 times
Torrington is a nice enough small city in the middle of generally rural Litchfield County. It has a nice small downtown with some decent sort of old-fashioned restaurants and shops. In recent years Torrington's main industries have downsized or closed so the city has some economic issues. The east side of the city (called Torringford) has seen a lot of growth with new homes and shopping centers going up. It kind of acts as an affordable distant suburb to the western regions of greater Hartford. Torrington is about 35 miles from Bradley Airport but it is all back roads so it will take about an hour.

Middletown was mentioned here and it too is a nice small city. It has a very nice downtown area with great restaurants and shops and it is very convenient to most of the state since it is near the center of it and has great highway access in most directions. While Bradley Airport is also about 30 miles away, I-91 will take you right there in about 30 minutes depending on time-of-day and traffic.

Since access to an airport would be important, why not consider locations closer to Bradley. Windsor Locks is a nice small town near the airport that has some affordable places. Also check out East Windsor, Windsor and Enfield. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM

2,816 posts, read 9,600,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Ok, time to stir it up. In my continuing research to find a new home in Connecticut, I am now looking at Torrington. Just as some background-- I grew up in Fairfield County and left for college. Now at age 35 I am coming back in November and have a number of criteria:

1) Someplace where they have affordable rentals-- I don't want to spend a lot on housing. I am a corporate technical trainer and am home less than one week a year, however, when I am home I want to enjoy it.

2) I want low rent-- Want to sock lots of money away and eventually purchase.

4) High speed internet access and cable must be readily available. (This may be a forgone conclusion in CT, but not in Texas, where I am moving from).

5) I'd like a somewhat diverse community that has a few places to eat and has the kind of places where they get to know you after a while. No pretension. I'm not looking to move back to Fairfield County.

So what are the merits of Torrington? It seems to get trashed on this forum, but what doesn't. What is the reason to live in Torrington? What's the reason not to?

I'm not looking to move in and make a bunch of friends. I have my friends, I have my family. I am just looking for a place where I can live affordably. I have seen a number of appealing apartments on CL in Torrington.

Thanks-- And let's avoid just bashing. I don't find that helpful.

Okay here it goes as i've lived in Torrington.

1 and 2. Well, you will get cheap rent.

3. This is NOT convenient to Enfield, CT. It would take you more then 45 minutes to get to Enfield, more likely an hour, as their is no highway and its all backroads through Barkhamstead, Granby, East Granby, Suffield, or windsor locks then ENFIELD.

4. internet is available anywhere in CT.

Why not just live in Enfield? Its close to Hartford and Springfield for good job growth and the rents their are affordable. Or nearby Windsor Locks, bothe will give you proximity to your brother and highway access which is important for any job. Enfield has its own mall and many bars/resturaunts to hang out at and like i said is close to major cities with a lot going on.
Torrington has NOTHING going for it. I was never happier then when i left torrington, you feel isolated from the rest of the world.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 PM

Default not once per year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
If you are only home 1 week per year why would you rent anywhere? If I were home only 1 week per year I would spend that week in Miami or something.
I meant one week per month... Plus 2-3 weekends...

Old 02-06-2009, 02:54 PM

Thanks guys, all good input. My brother teaches at Manchester High School so, I have a bit of a stilted view towards Manchester at this point. I have thought about Vernon quite a bit, but I'm not sure I can get the bang for the buck I am looking for-- although I do very much like Rein's.

Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM

44 posts, read 89,143 times
torrington is a depressed town...more then average.
walmart is your shopping, applebee's your restaurant.
for a rent, more then likely it will be in a 2 family, with i guess rent around $700.
i have lived here forever... personally i think you can do better.
try canton or collinsville ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut