Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:51 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm sorry, where was it you said that you own property and work to pay the bills for it?
Well, if someone can get Ansonia as the best they can do - then I can't hold it against them. You work with what you can, that's all there is to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 07:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
Well, if someone can get Ansonia as the best they can do - then I can't hold it against them. You work with what you can, that's all there is to it.
Indeed. So if one can't offer anything constructive to add, perhaps they should just refrain from saying anything.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriTutoli View Post
I live in Derby and I think the Bradley Grammer school is well run and the teachers are great with the children. I originate from Milford where the schools are overcrowded and the town taxes you to death. Milford is not the best choice. There is nothing wrong with Ansonia or Derby schools and both these towns are affordable and very pleasant to live in.
Just my two cents coming from the Valley.
Welcome to the board, Lori! Please feel free to share more of your views regarding the Valley.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:17 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
As for Derby - I've heard enough horror stories from there to last a lifetime. East Derby is alright, if you had no kids of school age. But if I had kids, I wouldn't send them to Derby schools unless I had no other choice.
What I have in B, I, U, pretty much says it all. Visit the area before you make blanket statements that spread ignorance, and don't tell us "I've HEARD".

FYI - this is one of the most growing areas of CT. That's happening for a reason, of which you obviously fail to see. The schools are OK (not the best), diversity is incredible (Valley has some of the best restaurants CT has to offer, which many don't even know about because they'd rather swim across LI Sound than step foot there). Just because they are not "picture-perfect" towns, does not mean they have nothing going for it.

OP- it's one of the last areas in southwestern CT to have a down to Earth feel. That's fading quickly, unfortunately.

Boy, am I tired of defending the Valley to the snobs in CT.

Quote:
This post reeks of narcissism.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:29 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindysue1 View Post
My husband is being transferred from the Chicago area to CT. We are looking to move to Milford, Derby or Ansonia. I have 2 young children and would like info on safest areas with good schools. We are also not familiar with the area and would appreciate any help on "affordable" areas to look for housing. Thanks!
Of the three, Milford's schools are rated the highest. You would also be on the shoreline, with close access to beaches. Milford has a lot of shopping, restaurants, train etc. as well. When I think of Milford, it gives me the feel of a small city, not a town. Derby and Ansonia are smaller, but a tad more "blue collar" in feel. Derby and Ansonia are one of seven towns in what is referred to as "The Valley", which has a rather poor reputation dating back many years. As mentioned though, the towns have made improvements in recent years. To get an idea of housing costs, try Realtor.com, or Craigslist.com.

Will you need to commute? What is your budget? If you give us more details, we might be able to provide additional suggestions.

There are numerous websites that give you details on Ct. school test scores, rankings, etc. That way you can do a little more thorough research on the towns you are considering.

Connecticut State Cities - CT City School Rankings

Connecticut Schools - Connecticut State School Ratings - Public and Private

Old 09-29-2009, 11:30 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What I have in B, I, U, pretty much says it all. Visit the area before you make blanket statements that spread ignorance, and don't tell us "I've HEARD".

This post reeks of narcissism.
I really don't want to make too much of a big issue out of this. But:
1. I have been to the Valley on plenty of times. So it's not like I'm up in a McMansion in the hills looking down on the Valley with binoculars. The Valley is not much different than the 395 corridor, which is where I'm from.

2. My best friend used to teach in Derby, so I've gotten first hand accounts of what goes on in the system there. Hence me saying, if you can do better - get your kids in a better school system. It wasn't me making a blanket rip on the entire town, at least I didn't intend it to be that way. So my apologies if anyone did see it that way.

2b. Though my "all Ansonia has is high school football" comment in hindsight was really of me to say.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:17 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
I really don't want to make too much of a big issue out of this. But:
1. I have been to the Valley on plenty of times. So it's not like I'm up in a McMansion in the hills looking down on the Valley with binoculars. The Valley is not much different than the 395 corridor, which is where I'm from.

2. My best friend used to teach in Derby, so I've gotten first hand accounts of what goes on in the system there. Hence me saying, if you can do better - get your kids in a better school system. It wasn't me making a blanket rip on the entire town, at least I didn't intend it to be that way. So my apologies if anyone did see it that way.

2b. Though my "all Ansonia has is high school football" comment in hindsight was really of me to say.
Actually much of the Valley is now "McMansions in the hills looking down." Maybe a second trip is in order? Seymour is becoming a really beautiful town - I was impressed at how downtown is shaping up. I was delighted that, in today's economy where lots of mom & pop shops are closing, Seymour residents help it thrive by shopping in their downtown. Not many chains are welcome in Seymour, which is a great thing. I got my haircut a few weeks ago at Valenti's Barber and the couple was so friendly, it was a breath of fresh air. They said they don't want to retire because their business in town has increased so much in the past 10 years, and it would be silly to not take advantage! Walking around downtown past antique shops, restaurants, coffee shops, theaters really reminds me of Starrs Hollow (I'm serious, too).

The Valley towns are nothing like the 395 corridor. Nothing.

I do agree that Ansonia and Derby schools need some work on the curriculum - lots of politics in these two towns as the face of each is changing. Old vs new. In towns like Shelton and Oxford, the "old" has already picked up and left (more Oxford than Shelton). But as someone else recently posted, the opinions on this board should be fact-based rather than hearsay. It makes for a better discussion, JMO.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:09 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
While I totally agree that the valley is changing ...LOL...everyone knows I defend it & think it is a smart RE choice to not be "housepoor"...just why have we resurected an old thread? mindysue1 was looking at the valley in Feb'09. I hope she's found something by now, and personally I hope she chose somewhere in the valley, as it is not the abyss some people describe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut