Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-14-2009, 08:54 AM
 
21 posts, read 63,909 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Well, I respect your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but I'm going to strongly disagree with it. I've only heard through the grapevine that the state was buying up Westlake, but have never actually seen paperwork, so if you say it isn't so, I would defer to your knowledge of it. Having said that, however, I would NEVER recommend Westlake to anyone unless they absolutely couldn't afford anything better. I have lived in Middletown for my entire life so I know what I'm talking about. Westlake has a reputation for a reason. Someone moving to this area "blind" would have a difficult time assessing Westlake because it looks nice from the "outside". I have two good friends who bought there innitially when the area was first built and couldn't wait to eventually get out, and lost a ton of money in the process, having to sell dirt cheap because it's turned into an unsavory section.

There are good and bad within all people, both rich and poor or course, but the fact is there is going to be much more crime, drugs, etc., in a poor area. I wouldn't recommend the Westlake any more than I would the north end of Middletown.

The difference between Wesleyan Hills and Westlake is significant. Super Stop & Shop plaze is 5 minutes away with Marshalls, Bobs and the Dollar Store. I admit it's nothing like the choices on the other end of town, but a person deserves peace of mind. I do respect your opinion, I just strongly disagree with it and feel the original poster needs more than one perspective before making a decision to live in Westlake, especially with a new baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:17 AM
 
Location: New England
8,155 posts, read 20,918,550 times
Reputation: 3338
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree6199 View Post
Well, I respect your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but I'm going to strongly disagree with it. I've only heard through the grapevine that the state was buying up Westlake, but have never actually seen paperwork, so if you say it isn't so, I would defer to your knowledge of it. Having said that, however, I would NEVER recommend Westlake to anyone unless they absolutely couldn't afford anything better. I have lived in Middletown for my entire life so I know what I'm talking about. Westlake has a reputation for a reason. Someone moving to this area "blind" would have a difficult time assessing Westlake because it looks nice from the "outside". I have two good friends who bought there innitially when the area was first built and couldn't wait to eventually get out, and lost a ton of money in the process, having to sell dirt cheap because it's turned into an unsavory section.

There are good and bad within all people, both rich and poor or course, but the fact is there is going to be much more crime, drugs, etc., in a poor area. I wouldn't recommend the Westlake any more than I would the north end of Middletown.

The difference between Wesleyan Hills and Westlake is significant. Super Stop & Shop plaze is 5 minutes away with Marshalls, Bobs and the Dollar Store. I admit it's nothing like the choices on the other end of town, but a person deserves peace of mind. I do respect your opinion, I just strongly disagree with it and feel the original poster needs more than one perspective before making a decision to live in Westlake, especially with a new baby.
Okay here is a second person who lived in Westlake saying you are WAY off base.

The area is nice, there are luxury and common apartment and condo's all throughout. I would move there with family without a second thought.

The state has NOT taken anything over. Goodness.

I lived in these "slums":

http://www.jviello.com/misc/carriage_crossing1.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 PM
 
2,080 posts, read 3,902,709 times
Reputation: 1828
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Okay here is a second person who lived in Westlake saying you are WAY off base.

The area is nice, there are luxury and common apartment and condo's all throughout. I would move there with family without a second thought.

The state has NOT taken anything over. Goodness.

I lived in these "slums":

JV,

Yikes, how did you ever manage to live there? It makes Manchester look positively toney...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 05:38 PM
 
21 posts, read 63,909 times
Reputation: 11
Yes, like I said if you read my post, they look nice from the outside. The BUILDING itself is nice, inside and out. That's a picture of Carriage Crossing. It's one of the nicest ones in Westlake.

I want the poster to get both sides of it, that's all. If you enjoyed your time there, that's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 PM
 
1,219 posts, read 4,206,650 times
Reputation: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree6199 View Post
Yes, like I said if you read my post, they look nice from the outside. The BUILDING itself is nice, inside and out. That's a picture of Carriage Crossing. It's one of the nicest ones in Westlake.

I want the poster to get both sides of it, that's all. If you enjoyed your time there, that's great.
Well, I lived across from there, and made a very nice sum when I sold-really nice. It was a fabulous investment, actually-I should have bought a dozen of 'em, LOL. (it was our home and not an investment property).

I heard the 'state is buying up units' rumor from day one, 14 years ago-it was crap then and is crap now. Everything is privately owned out there.

As far as Wesleyan Hills-well, it's nice enough, but it's nearly all single family homes or condos-the OP is looking for a rental. And as a recent homebuyer, I didn't even consider Wesleyan Hills-not interested in the HOA, and it's not centrally located. I stayed out near Westlake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,636 posts, read 56,391,795 times
Reputation: 11150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree6199 View Post
Yes, like I said if you read my post, they look nice from the outside. The BUILDING itself is nice, inside and out. That's a picture of Carriage Crossing. It's one of the nicest ones in Westlake.

I want the poster to get both sides of it, that's all. If you enjoyed your time there, that's great.
Gee, if Carriage Crossing is the nicest ones, what would you call The Meadows, or Cambridge or Middletown Ridge or Middletown Brook or Chestnut hill or Northwoods. I guess you cosider these all dumps rather than the upscale apartments and condos that they "appear" to be. I guess all those people living there paying over $1,000 a month are stupid or drug dealers or some other unsavory types. If the area was that bad, word would have gotten around and these places would be ghost towns, not thriving residential comunities. They are NOTHING like the North End either. You are way off on this one. Sorry, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 AM
 
5 posts, read 19,797 times
Reputation: 13
I used to live on west Lake Dr. in the Meadows, the crime in that area is out of control. At least 15 burglaries already this year day and night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2009, 06:06 AM
 
Location: Katy, TX
28 posts, read 160,376 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherwizard View Post
I used to live on west Lake Dr. in the Meadows, the crime in that area is out of control. At least 15 burglaries already this year day and night.
Looks like they caught the guy responsible for the recent burglaries:

Condo burglary suspect caught in the act
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 PM
 
Location: Middletown, Ct.
91 posts, read 124,751 times
Reputation: 45
Sorry to bump, but I'm curious about the trail some of you have mentioned. I was walking around the area today. There's the sidewalk that runs directly parallel to the street, but I'm assuming you're not referring to that. Do you mean the trail that begins right between Hunter's Crossing and the lake near Trolley Crossing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Central, CT
856 posts, read 2,004,582 times
Reputation: 333
Yes the trail is near Trolley crossing. Recently renovated and paved for easy walking with strollers. You'll probably want to park your vehicle in the river's bend community and start the trail att hat end as most of the complexes have numbered or resident only visitor parking. Beware as many HOA's tow vehicles not registered with their office.

As for some of the earlier comments about things being ghetto...I lived in New Britain and I can tell you westlake is FAR from ghetto. That sad little complex on the "smith street" end could use a little updating but it is the only one in a state of disrepair on the street. None of the complexes are "lost causes" and none are state owned to my knowledge. Yes it is a busy area as about 1/3 of the population of Middletown lives in this area (check out the city meetings if you have time) so there will be a concentration of petty issues.

If you're concerned about how a population that size functions there area is quiet by 10pm so don't worry too much about traffic at bed time, the state police barracks are around the corner "Country Club road/Smith Street and there is a sizeable city fire station less than 2 minutes away. Any of the fires that make the news are typically a black spot on the side of the building, Trolley crossing lost a building to fire but it was still structurally sound and rebuilt within a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top