Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 06:04 PM

438 posts, read 1,190,822 times

Advertisements

I've taken the ferry to/from Bridgeport tons of times, but have always brought my car in the past, and thus never needed to take public transportation out of Bport. This time, I'm going as a walk-on passenger, and need to catch an Amtrak train to Hartford relatively quickly.

I know that the Amtrak station is right nearby, but exactly how close is it? Reports vary from "right across the street" to "a half-mile away", and I'm not sure which is correct. Are the station, and the route between, reasonably well-policed at night? What's the minimum amount of time to walk from one to the other? (Is there a shuttle?)

How about Greyhound -- is it in the same complex? I think I may take Greyhound back, to save some $$$.

(You'd think I'd know all this by now!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 AM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times
The train station is right next to the ferry dock. It is about a five minute walk and is safe. There usually are a number of people doing the same thing so you most likely will not be alone. The bus station has moved to a new complex though and is a couple of blocks beyond the train station (it use to be right next to it). It is about a 10 minute walk from the ferry terminal. It is safe too. You could access it along Water Street or through the overhead walk from the train station tracks. Jay

Old 02-11-2009, 10:02 PM

223 posts, read 1,168,750 times
The ferry dock, train station, and new bus terminal operate (in my opinion) as the most integrated intermodal transportation center in Connecticut. More cities in the region should look at Bridgeport as a model for consolidating transit services.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 PM

10 posts, read 55,891 times
Default Yes- fine

As a former police officer there- yes, go ahead... well lit, lots of people when the ferry docks and the same when trains arrive. No problem.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:44 PM

Thanks, all. I had no problems -- it was indeed very straightforward.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM

2 posts, read 68,555 times
Hi All,

Is Hartford the closest Amtrak to Bridgeport? I need to get to Bridgeport from Toronto Ontario Canada and I think Hartford and then the ferry would be the best route. Is it complicated to take luggage from the train station on to the ferry? Does it run often? Would there be taxis on the Bridgeport side at the Ferry terminal?

Any info would be great!

Thanks,

Old 06-18-2009, 03:40 PM

The ferry generally runs every 90 minutes, though the schedule varies. You can find more info here.

I ended up taking Amtrak from Hartford to New Haven, and Metro North from New Haven to Bridgeport, since I wanted to stop in New Haven for a few hours and the Metro North ran at a more convenient time (and I think it's cheaper, too). If you decide to take Amtrak the whole way, you may or may not need to change trains, depending on the schedule, but it shouldn't be complicated. You shouldn't have any trouble getting your things from one place to the next, I don't think, but you will need to walk a small distance. Are you flying into Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks?

And you are going to Long Island, right? The ferry runs between Bridgeport, CT and Port Jefferson, NY, and going to Long Island is the only reason to take the ferry. If you are going to L.I., it might be easier to fly into Islip or JFK.

Old 06-18-2009, 04:03 PM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbunny66 View Post
Hi All,

Is Hartford the closest Amtrak to Bridgeport? I need to get to Bridgeport from Toronto Ontario Canada and I think Hartford and then the ferry would be the best route. Is it complicated to take luggage from the train station on to the ferry? Does it run often? Would there be taxis on the Bridgeport side at the Ferry terminal?

Any info would be great!

Thanks,
You do not need to go to Hartford. Bridgeport has Amtrak service, it is just that not all trains stop there. It may be better for you to go to New York City and then catch another train to Bridgeport. Jay

Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 68,555 times
Thanks for the info guys. I am trying to avoid flying. I will take the train to NY then to Bridgeport directly! Thanks for your help.

RB

Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 19,599 times
Is there a taxi stand when I get off the ferry in Bridgeport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut