Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 AM

200 posts, read 610,987 times

Advertisements

You all probably know that 9/11 widow Beverly Eckhert was on Continental Flight 3407 that crashed upstate New York. I had the pleasure of once meeting this woman when I lived in Old Greenwich and my what an eloquent, bright and determined woman she was. She was an activist but didn't let it consume her life. In a speech she made in Darien she balanced daily life with making sure her opinion was heard in a big way. She baked desserts for new people in the area and was such a caring individual.

You all in CT lost someone the other night in a big way. Another sad day for CT. Hopefully she's now resting in peace with her husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 06:25 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
You all probably know that 9/11 widow Beverly Eckhert was on Continental Flight 3407 that crashed upstate New York. I had the pleasure of once meeting this woman when I lived in Old Greenwich and my what an eloquent, bright and determined woman she was. She was an activist but didn't let it consume her life. In a speech she made in Darien she balanced daily life with making sure her opinion was heard in a big way. She baked desserts for new people in the area and was such a caring individual.

You all in CT lost someone the other night in a big way. Another sad day for CT. Hopefully she's now resting in peace with her husband.
RIP. Fate chases people. But not just her, all those people on the plane.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:34 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Yes it is a sad reminder of how fragile like can be, particularly in light of the recent hudson River plane landing. Jay

Old 02-14-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
RIP. Fate chases people. But not just her, all those people on the plane.
Many young people were on that plane too. I was just shocked to find last night that I had met one of them and spent the day with her. On News12 they said a handful of other people were from CT on that plane too but that was still to be confirmed as of 10pm Friday.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 AM

132 posts, read 331,570 times
So sad. This woman was not just an activist and welcoming neighbor, but also a hero to the people of New Orleans. She donated countless hours of her time to help people down there rebuild homes destroyed by Katrina. She was unimpressed with the government's response to the hurricane and made a point to tackle the issue with her own sweat and blood. We need more people like Ms. Eckhert. Too bad she is gone. RIP to all the people on that plane. I heard also that many CT residents were on board but am not sure if that is true or how many. WNBC said a college student from CT perished.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroundthecorner059 View Post
So sad. This woman was not just an activist and welcoming neighbor, but also a hero to the people of New Orleans. She donated countless hours of her time to help people down there rebuild homes destroyed by Katrina. She was unimpressed with the government's response to the hurricane and made a point to tackle the issue with her own sweat and blood. We need more people like Ms. Eckhert. Too bad she is gone. RIP to all the people on that plane. I heard also that many CT residents were on board but am not sure if that is true or how many. WNBC said a college student from CT perished.
I had no idea she did that. Great way to channel grief...help others in need. She is quite an inspiration.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:04 PM

60 posts, read 221,008 times
I was at a Dunkin Donuts today and Jamie Muro from WTNH was in line ahead of me. This older couple chatted him up while he was waiting for his coffees (he was with a group in a Channel 8 SUV) and he mentioned that he was down at Sherwood Island and at the 9/11 memorial someone had put a rose next to Beverly's husband's name...so sad.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:50 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
This is really sad. I remember seeing her on the news a few years after 9/11. She wasn't a political activist - she just wanted to know the truth. She was actually criticized by many political figures for pushing the 9/11 Commission. I give her a ton of credit for what she accomplished in 7 years. It is true that we don't appreciate these things until it's too late. RIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut