Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:21 PM

3 posts, read 8,805 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a town in the Hartford area with diverse and great schools. I define a great school as one where the teachers care, the kids are disciplined, safe, scoring well on tests, there is rich curricular and extra curricular activities and the parents hold education in high esteem. Our kids are small and will be in K and 1st grade. We are African and our kids are looking for kids who look like them even though they have friends from across all races. Does such a town exist? Manchester came close but then someone said the schools were not that good and it is deteriorating in terms of crime. West Hartford had good schools but seemed pricy and it depends on where you are. South Windsor looked ok. Not as diverse and our fear is that its too close to the airport so could be noisy. It this right? We will be renting (or taking over someone's mortgage who would rather not sell (any takers?) for at least a year. If we play our cards right, we would buy in the same area in a year to avoid moving schools again. Our targeted buy would be to spend max $450K but the home must be modern and that is not until a year or so. Job is towards Springfield, MA. Any leads would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 04:42 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,279,784 times
West Hartford would definitely fit the bill in many respects, except that you will not find new housing in the < $450K range.

Also...you may be confusing South Windsor with Windsor Locks, where the airport is located. South Windsor has no issues with airplane noise.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:19 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,198,551 times
My brother teaches in Manchester and while diverse, it seems (based on his description) very divided among racial lines. I would second West Hartford, from what I know about the area.

RE: Airplane noise. I lived for a while 3 miles from the end of the runway at Kennedy. After a week I didn't hear the airplane noise. Perhaps for certain people its easily to get used to than others.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:50 PM

2,857 posts, read 10,479,472 times
It will be hard to find a town with ALOT of diversity AND excellent schools. Most of the very diverse towns are our big cities.
South Windsor would not have airplane noise, but isn't incredibly diverse, though the schools are great.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:12 PM

35,343 posts, read 57,589,078 times
I would agree with the others on West Hartford. You might also consider the northern section of Glastonbury. It has excellent schools and the Naubuc School district is diverse. We live there and found that school to be wonderful. The only problem may be the commmute but if you use I-291 you can avoid Hartford. Jay

Old 02-15-2009, 01:48 AM

21,805 posts, read 31,523,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would agree with the others on West Hartford. You might also consider the northern section of Glastonbury. It has excellent schools and the Naubuc School district is diverse. We live there and found that school to be wonderful. The only problem may be the commmute but if you use I-291 you can avoid Hartford. Jay
I would have to disagree with the suggestion of Glastonbury. It would not be considered a diverse town IMHO. West Hartford would be the OP's best bet.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I would have to disagree with the suggestion of Glastonbury. It would not be considered a diverse town IMHO. West Hartford would be the OP's best bet.
The OP asked for schools that were excellent and diverse. I agree that West Hartford overall may be more diverse than Glastonbury but the Naubuc School in Glastonbury is also diverse. 32% of the students there are classified as a minority with 11% being African American. This meets or exceeds many of the schools in West Hartford. Jay

Old 02-15-2009, 07:59 AM

3,987 posts, read 6,613,426 times
Quote:
The OP asked for schools that were excellent and diverse. I agree that West Hartford overall may be more diverse than Glastonbury but the Naubuc School in Glastonbury is also diverse. 32% of the students there are classified as a minority with 11% being African American. This meets or exceeds many of the schools in West Hartford. Jay

Except when all the kids converge at the middle school and high school right? I would add WH as the best option, most of Glastonbury is not diverse at all.

Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Except when all the kids converge at the middle school and high school right? I would add WH as the best option, most of Glastonbury is not diverse at all.
Yes, this is true for the overall community. Glastonbury has 14.2% minorities with 3.1% African American while West Hartford is 33.5% minority with 10% African American. Jay

Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 AM

21,805 posts, read 31,523,996 times
Quote:
Glastonbury as a whole is 96% white, I don't think it's diverse at all. JMHO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut