Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:58 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Thanks Rich. I was under the impression we were discussing racial diversity.
I'm sure we were/are. Many years ago, diversity even existed in all-white communities but along religious lines: Protestant, Roman Catholic, and Jewish. In our part of the country, this isn't as big a deal as it is in other parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,457 times
This is such an interesting thread for me as we moved from NYC to Fairfield five years ago and now are moving up...where you ask...either Madison or Glastonbury. There are good schools in each of these towns and Fairfield is beautiful, the beaches are destination like beaches but for me, personally that does not make up for the "stepford wife" aspect. To the original poster, yes there are more houses to sell but there are also probably three times as many realtors as the other towns....Fairfield is expensive and getting more so--taxes must go up and even more so as the First Selectman is an idiot. What I really would like to see is from a Mom who has kids in either Madison or Glastonbury...I want to find out if there are normal peopleout there??? I suspect that Madison is very similar to Fairfield only about 20 years behind as far as the Desperate Housewife situation but am hoping that Glastonbury is different. Thank you for any input. L.

Old 04-28-2009, 10:19 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loripetera View Post
This is such an interesting thread for me as we moved from NYC to Fairfield five years ago and now are moving up...where you ask...either Madison or Glastonbury. There are good schools in each of these towns and Fairfield is beautiful, the beaches are destination like beaches but for me, personally that does not make up for the "stepford wife" aspect. To the original poster, yes there are more houses to sell but there are also probably three times as many realtors as the other towns....Fairfield is expensive and getting more so--taxes must go up and even more so as the First Selectman is an idiot. What I really would like to see is from a Mom who has kids in either Madison or Glastonbury...I want to find out if there are normal peopleout there??? I suspect that Madison is very similar to Fairfield only about 20 years behind as far as the Desperate Housewife situation but am hoping that Glastonbury is different. Thank you for any input. L.
Well I am not a mom, but my kids are in the Glastonbury schools. To answer your question, yes there are normal people out there but they are sometimes hard to find in affluent communities like Fairfield, Madison or Glastonbury. It is even more difficult to find when you live in the more affluent parts of the town.

I would assume from your post that you live in one of the more affluent areas of Fairfield and that most of the people you met were of the "Stepford" pursuasion. If you lived in Tunxis Hill you would see fewer of these types. I also know people near Osborne Hill School who are very down to earth.

We avoided that problem during our childs elementary school years by living in the more modest school district in Glastonbury (Naubuc School). The people in north end of Glastonbury are pretty diverse economically so we were able to meet more "normal" people and make some good friends here. Don't get me wrong, Naubuc has some "Stepford" families too but actually they are very nice if you get to know them.

I will say that now that our kids are in the upper grades and meeting famlies from all over town, we see a lot more "Stepford" people. We also met some from our kids involvement in local sports. But we also met very nice people from other parts of town as well. This exists in Madison as well. It really is what you make it to be. Jay

Old 05-01-2009, 11:40 AM

113 posts, read 325,988 times
DIVERSE:

Ah yes, my parents said Fairfield is one of the most caucasion cities in the U.S. (pop over 75K). I believe that is true too. Madison has a whopping 450 blacks and what in Hispanic I do not know however I am one of that statistic. Asian too is small. Glastonbury I do not know what so ever. As for Fairfield like I said before my parents live in the multi million $ section by the water: they are 1 block away. However go to Blackrock section and it is an expensive not to impressive area.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:13 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
DIVERSE:

Ah yes, my parents said Fairfield is one of the most caucasion cities in the U.S. (pop over 75K). I believe that is true too. Madison has a whopping 450 blacks and what in Hispanic I do not know however I am one of that statistic. Asian too is small. Glastonbury I do not know what so ever. As for Fairfield like I said before my parents live in the multi million $ section by the water: they are 1 block away. However go to Blackrock section and it is an expensive not to impressive area.
Fairfield is not a city and does not have a population over 75,000 people. In fact, its population is around 57,000 people and is 89% white. Jay

Old 05-06-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:

As for normal, yes there are many here in Madison. There are also a lot of ghetto riche' idiots too however that knock normal down. (I make 120,000 drive 100,000 in cars, live in a 500,000 home decorated by Bob's & IKEA). I am a semi-retired man in his early 40's (that is why I moved up here because of the cheaper costs from lower Fairfield CTY) and have 3 kids in the schools. The worst people in that Stepford/Desperate Bozo area are one the men whom are in sales (image, image, image) and the woman in the mid range. They like to act like they are some multi-million person: the Land Rover, the BMW and a so-so house. People freak when they come over my house because I don't care. I drive a beat up old Ford and where jeans and a t-shirt (not a pink izod and khakis) yet have 5 bedrooms 3 full, 2 half baths and a built in pool. Don't need to flaunt it. You will find that more common with the money. The lower inc. ones are not as bad either (Mungertown area), etc.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:

We are keeping taxes down to about 3.5% increase in Madison. Us yankees and myself a NY knickerbocker smacked the yuppies spending dorks down. As for Fairfield my parents keep moaning that they invested and lost 40,000,000 with Madoff. Good old Bernie hit a town too. As for Glastonbury I heard from numerous people that lived there it is worse than the two. They think they are Bedford, NY or New Canaan, CT without the money.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM

588 posts, read 1,872,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorelinect View Post
We are keeping taxes down to about 3.5% increase in Madison. Us yankees and myself a NY knickerbocker smacked the yuppies spending dorks down. As for Fairfield my parents keep moaning that they invested and lost 40,000,000 with Madoff. Good old Bernie hit a town too. As for Glastonbury I heard from numerous people that lived there it is worse than the two. They think they are Bedford, NY or New Canaan, CT without the money.
I'm in Fairfield, and haven't really seen much of the "pink izod / khaki" crew or the stepford wives floating around. They are around, but it depends on the neighborhood you're in. Sure, there are a lot of stay at home mom's, but everyone I've met in my neighborhood (Fairfield Woods section) has been very normal and nice - from ppl in their 30's to their 80's. Doesn't matter how much $$ they make (small self-employed business people to major corporate Finance ppl @ GE) - they seem to be well contained and modest. So what ppl drive a BMW or Lexus - let them waste their $ on it. It's their business how to spend their $$, no matter how much or how little, on whatever they want. If they want to drop $90k on something they leave in the driveway and not spend $5k on painting their house when its peeling, so be it.

As for the $40 million that Fairfield "lost" - I remember reading something about how the principal invested was less than half that, and with normal gains wouldn't have come close to $40 mil. That # is just what Madoff claimed the investments were worth shortly before things imploded. Regaining about $20 mil should just about cover any loses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut