Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 08:31 PM

161 posts, read 645,315 times

Advertisements

Specifically thinking of towns like Ridgefield, Wilton and Weston? I see home prices have fallen quite a bit, but I still feel they are being listed above their true value. Any experts with some opinions on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingover View Post
Specifically thinking of towns like Ridgefield, Wilton and Weston? I see home prices have fallen quite a bit, but I still feel they are being listed above their true value. Any experts with some opinions on this?
I agree. I'm not an expert but I think people are trying to get 2006 prices. I was browsing the real estate section in the Connecticut Post and everything still seems so high.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:15 AM

362 posts, read 774,692 times
that's because some people are still trying to hold on and won't let go. It's CT at it's finest.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:25 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,574,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
that's because some people are still trying to hold on and won't let go. It's CT at it's finest.
It has nothing to do with CT. In many other places people are refusing to accept that what their house was worth 2 or 3 years ago is not what it is worth today. Not sure what your issue is with CT, but your negative commentary isn't really adding much to the discussions on here. If you hate it so much...don't let the welcome to CT sign hit you on the way out.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:27 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,756,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
It has nothing to do with CT. In many other places people are refusing to accept that what their house was worth 2 or 3 years ago is not what it is worth today. Not sure what your issue is with CT, but your negative commentary isn't really adding much to the discussions on here. If you hate it so much...don't let the "Welcome to Conn." sign hit you on the way out.
If property depreciation were a result of residents' displeasure with the state, then people must really hate California, Nevada, and Florida.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:01 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
If property depreciation were a result of residents' displeasure with the state, then people must really hate California, Nevada, and Florida.
And just about every other major city in the country. Jay

Old 02-19-2009, 12:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,856,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
But, they were positively orgasmic for those states for at least a good 5 years('01-'06). Alas, they've spent their load and no blue pill will cure it.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:49 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
It has nothing to do with CT. In many other places people are refusing to accept that what their house was worth 2 or 3 years ago is not what it is worth today. Not sure what your issue is with CT, but your negative commentary isn't really adding much to the discussions on here. If you hate it so much...don't let the welcome to CT sign hit you on the way out.
Was it really necessary, UConn97? Come on, you are cooler than that.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:50 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,412,093 times
Your house is worth what someone will spend on it, period. But its silly not to expect folks to try & get the most return on one. If they bought within the last 3 or 4 years they are likely to take a hit that wil hurt. My house is a huge part of my net worth, I cant sell it for $200,000 just because the economy tanked. Luckilly I'v been here long enough my mortgage is less than most efficiencies.
I feel for the people who bought at inflated prices & are now forced to sell at a loss.
But life is like that. You roll your dice & you take your chances.
I expect they'll continue to drop for a while yet.

Then I expect that taxes will increase to offset the loss due to lower property values but not go down once things get back to normal again. Not like CT to let a chance to suck its people dry go untapped.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:03 AM

756 posts, read 2,218,618 times
I bought slightly after the peak, right before the market took a nosedive. I have a fixed rate mortgage but want to take advantage of the even lower rate now and can't because I owe more than my house is worth on paper! My house has gone down 100k in the 18 months we have been here. Thankfully, I am not moving anytime soon.

I don't think we are even close to hitting bottom either!

Our town just sent out reassessments for property tax. Of course, according to the town, my value went up a lot (since 2003) but thankfully, our mill rate dropped and my taxes will increase, not too painfully though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut