Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 26,452 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend and I live in the East Village in Manhattan. While we LOVE the city, we are both feeling squished and are considering a move out of the city. We did a mini-"road trip" last weekend and checked out towns in Westchester (Croton, Hastings-on-Hudson, Katonah) but didn't fall in love with any of them.

I am in my late 30's, she is in her mid-20's. (No kids, only a dog.) We both work in Manhattan -- me 5 days a week, she about two/three days a week.

We are looking for:
- a walkable, energetic, VIBRANT town center
- other young people, who like being out & about in the town
- historic, interesting buildings... "up and coming" areas are OK!
- plenty of restaurants, bars, bookstores, shopping
- a good arts community -- music, museums, theater
- we LOVE being by the water, or within a 10-15 min. drive to it
- within 40-60 minute train ride to Grand Central

Does this magical place exist? We would like to spend no more than $650k on a small home or $2k on a rental. Do you have any tips on where we should look?

Thanks!
Tucker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM

34,932 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I hate to tell you this but outside of New York City, it is pretty hard to find what you describe. There is just not the population to support a really vibrant community like you describe. That said, I would suggest you check out Stamford which is a small city that has some of what you are looking for and is less than 1 hour to NY by train. You might also look into White Plains in Westchester. Another option may be South Norwalk which is developing into what you describe but has a ways to go. Good luck, Jay

Old 02-24-2009, 08:10 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker09 View Post
My girlfriend and I live in the East Village in Manhattan. While we LOVE the city, we are both feeling squished and are considering a move out of the city. We did a mini-"road trip" last weekend and checked out towns in Westchester (Croton, Hastings-on-Hudson, Katonah) but didn't fall in love with any of them.

I am in my late 30's, she is in her mid-20's. (No kids, only a dog.) We both work in Manhattan -- me 5 days a week, she about two/three days a week.

We are looking for:
- a walkable, energetic, VIBRANT town center
- other young people, who like being out & about in the town
- historic, interesting buildings... "up and coming" areas are OK!
- plenty of restaurants, bars, bookstores, shopping
- a good arts community -- music, museums, theater
- we LOVE being by the water, or within a 10-15 min. drive to it
- within 40-60 minute train ride to Grand Central

Does this magical place exist? We would like to spend no more than $650k on a small home or $2k on a rental. Do you have any tips on where we should look?

Thanks!
Tucker
Look into Westport. You can get a modest house for $650k, you'd be near the water, artsy and lots of good restaurants. I think you might like it..though it is a suburban, family oriented community.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 26,452 times
Thanks so much to both of you! I will certainly check out Westport, as I have heard good things about it. Stamford and White Plains are also good suggestions. Really appreciate the feedback!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,940,360 times
$650K in Westport will get you a SHACK. A fixer-upper shack, at that.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 30,611 times
We looked online at some houses in Westport for around $600,000 and they were tiny, but not too bad. Better than a shack!

Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
$650K in Westport will get you a SHACK. A fixer-upper shack, at that.
I agree. I don't think such a place exists within your budget, at least within an hour of NYC. If you could find a home in your price range, Darien or Rowayton are lovely.

Just north of Westport, is Fairfield - a beautiful town that meets most of your criteria, except the distance. There is a wider range of home prices and you will have more choices within your budget. A lot of people commute into NYC from there.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 AM

184 posts, read 842,611 times
When I was in my mid-20s, Port Chester NY was that place for me, even if it was a little on the grungy side. I lived in a loft in the Lifesaver building, worked in NYC, walked to train every day and was still close to beach and Greenwich, CT for shopping. Port Chester's been more developed in recent years. Oh! Maybe look in the Byram area of Greenwich CT (zip 06831), homes tend to be a little more affordable than the rest of Greenwich (I know, I know) and you have your own neighborhood beach with a pool!

Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
New Haven for sure. its laid out like a borough, but its a hike to the city

maybe Stamford, Norwalk or Danbury? i haven't really spent much time in those areas

Old 02-25-2009, 09:18 AM

87 posts, read 250,121 times
My husband and I moved to Fairfield from the West Village (I lived in Manhattan for 11 years; he for 15) and there was a considerable adjustment period. For the first year, I couldn't get over the fact that they don't sell liquor in grocery stores and they don't sell any liquor at all on Sundays! What?! Also, the dearth of "stuff" -- good restaurants, cultural activities, shopping -- was tough. Before we had our daughter, we were in the city twice a month.

Fast forward five years, though, add the aforementioned baby and a house, and we love it! There is a lot to do out here, but IMO a lot revolves around families.

To get back to your question, my friends without kids live in Norwalk and the Black Rock area of Bridgeport. I would consider those, in addition to Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut