Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 03:38 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes they do. Jay
Income tax threshold is $23000 for retiree pension I believe.We do not have to file Federal taxes as retiree's,so SS would not be taxed in CT.

Last edited by DanBev; 07-30-2011 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
It seems that any thread with "tax" as topic can accumulate 20 pages in less than 48 hours.

This thread started over 2 years ago.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:23 PM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post

This thread started over 2 years ago.
Lolx didnt see it.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:36 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Lolx didnt see it.

No problem

I, myself, had at first thought it was a new thread.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:38 PM

37 posts, read 127,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
3rd phase of the 06 "revaluation" kicked in. Property taxes went up another $600.00+ to almost $6000.00 per year for a 50+ year old ranch home on a couple acres.

They conveniently did a revaluation in 06 in the peak of the market and noted in the notice that "they know real estate values have gone down but can't lower the gross assessment without doing another revaluation". Well, I won't hold my breath on that one.

What's this? Oh, I can appeal the gross assessment? Okay...oh, it has to be submitted by the 20th? Why did I get the letter on the 22nd then? Gotta love government!

I'm honestly at my wits end. Yea, go ahead and tell me property taxes are higher on Long Island etc. I don't give a sh*t...they are still ridiculous compared to most places in the United States, and then combine it with the largest tax burden in the nation as a whole and it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh you're broke State of CT? Sure, go ahead and add tolls to the road on top of the highest gas tax in the nation. Whyyyyyyy not.

Tell me all the great services I'm getting again? I'm on septic (just paid $225.00 to have it pumped), no city water, no kids in the public school system. I've been trying to get a dump permit for 3 weeks now after 4 trips to the landfill getting turned away for stupid technicalities and am now at the town manager pissed off and looking for answers. (Oh, you don't' have the vehicle *here*? "no...but I did two days ago when you turned me away and didn't say I HAD to have the vehicle here." Well, we have to SEE you put the sticker on. Sorry come back another day with the vehicle. )

On and on it goes.

"Well, you get what you pay for". Sure, yea. Right. More than 25% of my mortgage is property taxes. That's just wrong.

If something doesn't change, I'm going to toss a match at the house, sell my business and head out. I'm sick of killing myself just to hand it back to the state to watch them hand it out to others and themselves. Done. I want a freakin bailout.

/rant
I understand, they can raise mill rates no matter what and do. Don't seem to be holding the spending down though. live in a 55 + community, pay for our own garbage collection, (town pays for everyone elses) street plowing, repair and etc. 2 bedroom detached condo and we pay $8,000 for property taxes and that doesn't include our car. Thinking about moving to one of the Carolina's, where 3 friends have moved, can save $7,000 a year in house taxes alone. All the articles state this is the worst place to come to live and retire. Lordy Bee!

Old 06-21-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Right their with you.
We've been contemplating moving out of state for awhile now...
Just a shame all our family is here...Tough to leave when we'd have to give up seeing them alot.
Have already started to check out other states and the costs of living there.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
MetsNY - he lives in Manchester, one of the most affordable (I guess until now??) areas in CT.

Look - I completely agree with you regarding the taxes. INSANE. My wife works part time right now just to pay the taxes on our house. That being said, I can't stand the argument "we don't have kids in the school, why should I pay for the taxes?" It really gets to me. That mindset is the very reason why education is lacking in this country. It's a very selfish thing to say.

Sorry, like I said, I agree with everything you said except what I quoted above. I'll pay whatever it takes as long as I know my kids and grandkids will be well-educated.

Bring it. I'm ready. LOL
Yes, they will be educated here and then move out of this state cause it is too expensive to live! Sorry to say. Good luck with that.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codydog View Post
Yes, they will be educated here and then move out of this state cause it is too expensive to live! Sorry to say. Good luck with that.
That is not true. I know lots of kids that stay here in Connecticut. Some do leave but that is true in any state. Jay

Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
That is not true. I know lots of kids that stay here in Connecticut. Some do leave but that is true in any state. Jay
And often when they do move out-of-state it still is "within the region" because they get a job in NYC or Boston and choose (at least while single/starting out) to live there. Sometimes (in the NYC case) when they're more established and/or start a family, they move back to CT while staying at the NYC job.

This as opposed to states like Mississippi or the Dakotas (or to use a Northeast example, Vermont or Maine) where there's a lot of young people who move out and go to other parts of the US.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:16 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
I, just graduating an MBA program and a couple years before this, graduating a local University could say that about 30% of the kids I went to school with left the State right after college. Low number, makes CT look good...No No. They land a job with a CT company and now about 60% have left the State. How some of them put it to me was..."I landed a job with a CT firm who has regional offices and my hopes are that I will be relocated to these offices because CT has nothing for me." Jobs gained in CT and moved 1 year later to places like PA, Canada, Jersey, Maine, Florida, Georgia and Texas. CT is essentially a "jump-off" point in order to get the heck out of Dodge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut