Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:55 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I understand JViello, I really do. It's not for everyone. It's more unlike the U.S. than any other state IMO.

Colorado Springs is, however, the most sprawling town I've ever been to. It's a very tough place to get around.
It's not that I don't think it's "pretty" or anything like that. I have certain "wants" and one of them includes being near a major city, being close to the mountains you see in those pics (By close I mean 15-20 minutes).

I'm also a conservative and person of faith, and I know NM is a bit more "liberal".

What I'm getting at is, in the list of "requirements" it's just a square peg in a round hole. I do appreciate the pictures though.

As for sprawl...nothing, and mean nothing compares to L.A. and Orlando! LOL If I can handle those cites, little ole 600K COS wouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:03 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
3rd phase of the 06 "revaluation" kicked in. Property taxes went up another $600.00+ to almost $6000.00 per year for a 50+ year old ranch home on a couple acres.

They conveniently did a revaluation in 06 in the peak of the market and noted in the notice that "they know real estate values have gone down but can't lower the gross assessment without doing another revaluation". Well, I won't hold my breath on that one.

What's this? Oh, I can appeal the gross assessment? Okay...oh, it has to be submitted by the 20th? Why did I get the letter on the 22nd then? Gotta love government!

I'm honestly at my wits end. Yea, go ahead and tell me property taxes are higher on Long Island etc. I don't give a sh*t...they are still ridiculous compared to most places in the United States, and then combine it with the largest tax burden in the nation as a whole and it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

I'm just confused on one point. How do you know your taxes will actually rise that much? We recently had a revaluation on the homes in our town, too. Ours rose about 50k. I think the value they came up with for our home is fair. But we won't know how much taxes will actually rise until the new mill rate is set. In fact, they are predicting some of our taxes, like our car taxes, will be lower now with the new revaluation and mill rate. Does Manchester do their revaluations differently? (And it's the individual towns that assess the value of homes, not the state)

Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
3rd phase of the 06 "revaluation" kicked in. Property taxes went up another $600.00+ to almost $6000.00 per year for a 50+ year old ranch home on a couple acres.

They conveniently did a revaluation in 06 in the peak of the market and noted in the notice that "they know real estate values have gone down but can't lower the gross assessment without doing another revaluation". Well, I won't hold my breath on that one.

What's this? Oh, I can appeal the gross assessment? Okay...oh, it has to be submitted by the 20th? Why did I get the letter on the 22nd then? Gotta love government!

I'm honestly at my wits end. Yea, go ahead and tell me property taxes are higher on Long Island etc. I don't give a sh*t...they are still ridiculous compared to most places in the United States, and then combine it with the largest tax burden in the nation as a whole and it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Oh you're broke State of CT? Sure, go ahead and add tolls to the road on top of the highest gas tax in the nation. Whyyyyyyy not.

Tell me all the great services I'm getting again? I'm on septic (just paid $225.00 to have it pumped), no city water, no kids in the public school system. I've been trying to get a dump permit for 3 weeks now after 4 trips to the landfill getting turned away for stupid technicalities and am now at the town manager pissed off and looking for answers. (Oh, you don't' have the vehicle *here*? "no...but I did two days ago when you turned me away and didn't say I HAD to have the vehicle here." Well, we have to SEE you put the sticker on. Sorry come back another day with the vehicle. )

On and on it goes.

"Well, you get what you pay for". Sure, yea. Right. More than 25% of my mortgage is property taxes. That's just wrong.

If something doesn't change, I'm going to toss a match at the house, sell my business and head out. I'm sick of killing myself just to hand it back to the state to watch them hand it out to others and themselves. Done. I want a freakin bailout.

/rant
I hear you Jay. Where do you live? Our taxes went up in Stamford last year. From just under $4500 to $6050!!! I feel your pain....our house is just around 1500 sq foot on a 1/4 acre. UGH.

Old 02-25-2009, 02:51 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I'm just confused on one point. How do you know your taxes will actually rise that much? We recently had a revaluation on the homes in our town, too. Ours rose about 50k. I think the value they came up with for our home is fair. But we won't know how much taxes will actually rise until the new mill rate is set. In fact, they are predicting some of our taxes, like our car taxes, will be lower now with the new revaluation and mill rate. Does Manchester do their revaluations differently? (And it's the individual towns that assess the value of homes, not the state)
I was wondering the same thing. Are you sure this is correct or are you basing this on the current mill rate which will likely go down? Also, the Town Manager is correct, they would have to do a complete re-evaluation if you want your home assessment based on current lower home values. that probably would not change how much your taxes are going to be though.

I can't believe that 4 pages of responses in this thread came so quickly. Lets face it, no one want to pay higher taxes. But what is the solution? Do you eliminate services. If so what services do you get rid of? You may not need trash pickup but your neighbor might want it. You may not use the public schools but that is your choice. Would you really want to see Connecticut turn into a state like Florida or North Carolina? NOt me. JMHO, Jay

Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
We have a three year phase in of our "new assessment' that took place in 06. My taxes have been going up every year since. I can assure you, the mill rate is not going down.

It's not a surprise to me that this happened, I"m just pissed off about it.

We were told in so many words that we should expect our taxes to go up.

Yes I understand that by some miracle the tax mill will go down...hasn't yet.

I also realize that the town assess taxes and not the state, as I said in a previous post, their problems are one in the same. Corruption and bloat. Both city and state are out of control.

Jay, don't for one minute think cutting waste and many programs will turn CT into some backwater. It won't. There are plenty of states out there with low overall tax burderns that are not "backwater". The state and town payroll and pension funds are unrealistic and not in step with the real world and it's breaking our backs - the people funding it.

The unions run this state and I for one have had enough.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I hear you Jay. Where do you live? Our taxes went up in Stamford last year. From just under $4500 to $6050!!! I feel your pain....our house is just around 1500 sq foot on a 1/4 acre. UGH.
I'm in Manchester - one of the last "affordable" places in CT to live.

I can't "dumb down" any more (I drive a 11 year old pickup I purchased with a bad engine and fixed myself for crying out loud!) and I'm already killing myself to pull in what I do.

I feel like I"m between a rock and a very hard place.

The option of my wife staying home and/or working part time and raising family like she would like? Gone. Not even remotely possible.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
Quote:
I'm in Manchester - one of the last "affordable" places in CT to live.

I can't "dumb down" any more (I drive a 11 year old pickup I purchased with a bad engine and fixed myself for crying out loud!) and I'm already killing myself to pull in what I do.

I feel like I"m between a rock and a very hard place.

The option of my wife staying home and/or working part time and raising family like she would like? Gone. Not even remotely possible.
Hi J,

There are a lot of us out here that are struggling too...I know what you are going through because we are in the same boat. Consider yourself lucky to be working - many aren't. Hang in there

Old 02-25-2009, 05:04 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,531 times
Definitely feel everyones pain. Our taxes went up a bit during our last reval, but not quite as drastically as some others have noted on here. JV any chance you can appeal? I was actually set to appeal mine and through my homework actually discovered that out of 12 homes on my street we actually pay the least amount. I think thats a mistake, but I'm not making a stink about it now! Our home is larger than most of my neighbors and we are on a decent sized lot (the 4th largest on the street) so I'm not sure what happened. All I can think is that when the guys were going around with their clipboards (in 2006) we had not made any improvements to the outside of the house (finally made them in 2007) and I'm thinking they rated the condition lower.

Also editing to add that I noticed through my homework that the house across from mine (which is about 300 square feet smaller) was assessed way higher and they were paying about 400 more a year in taxes. The lot size on the paperwork was off by almost a quarter of an acre and I made sure to note that to the owner who promptly attached the correct paperwork with the appeals form and delivered it to town hall. Hopefully they will see a reduction soon!

Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Definitely feel everyones pain. Our taxes went up a bit during our last reval, but not quite as drastically as some others have noted on here. JV any chance you can appeal? I was actually set to appeal mine and through my homework actually discovered that out of 12 homes on my.......
Don't keep it a secret from everybody. Zillow does the homework for us.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Don't keep it a secret from everybody. Zillow does the homework for us.
Sorry, I don't understand....what do you mean by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut