Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM
 
138 posts, read 511,996 times
Reputation: 123

Advertisements

after looking more I do think I will be stuck going with the Newton area, its far but its affordable. I have talked to some people from there that drive to around Stamford and its about an hour with back roads (a nice change from chicago traffic) I will have to try it out when i come to visit to make sure it can be done in a decent amount of time. I would rather drive more then be stuck in an apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 PM
 
138 posts, read 511,996 times
Reputation: 123
Now that I have gotten into the MLS system can someone tell me some info about theses areas?

Shelton
Trumbull
Redding
Sherman

how far are these from Stamford? are they nice areas for a suburban family?

and whats the difference between Fairfield and New Fairfield
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 03:09 PM
 
21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut24 View Post
Now that I have gotten into the MLS system can someone tell me some info about theses areas?

Shelton
Trumbull
Redding
Sherman

how far are these from Stamford? are they nice areas for a suburban family?

and whats the difference between Fairfield and New Fairfield
Suburban - Fairfield, New Fairfield, Shelton, Trumbull
Rural - Redding, Sherman

Shelton is a former industrial city which is now one of Fairfield County's most up and coming suburbs. There is the gritty downtown area, which has excellent restaurants, nightlife, and a great place to get cheesecake (can't remember the name!). There are lots of restaurants and plenty of shopping along Bridgeport Avenue. It is affordable for Fairfield County, but is still pricey. Schools are good. Lots and lots of corporations along Bridgeport Avenue (near Commerce Drive). It would be 45 minutes to Stamford without traffic.

Trumbull is Shelton's neighbor to the south. It is established and is a nice community to live - very suburban. There isn't really a walkable downtown like Shelton's, but there is a mall in town with plenty of shopping available. Schools are good here too. Commute would be about 10 minutes less than Shelton's, to Stamford.

Redding is a woodsy residential community with not much in the way of shopping. If you don't mind a rural town, then Redding is excellent. It is very expensive though so keep that in mind. Schools are great, and are shared with Easton (Region 9). Commute to Stamford would be about 40 minutes without traffic.

Sherman is a rural town in extreme northern Fairfield County on Candlewood Lake. It's a very small town without a high school - the students in town go to New Milford or New Fairfield High. Commuting to Stamford would be a trek, about an hour or more without traffic.

Fairfield is along the coast in southern Fairfield County. It is suburban and established, and is a large town with excellent schools. New Fairfield is along Candlewood Lake south of Sherman, north of Danbury. Lots of ex-NYers live in New Fairfield, and there is a substantial summer population due to the many lake homes along Candlewood. Shopping closest to New Fairfield would be in Danbury, about 10 minutes to the south.

Fairfield would be the closest town to Stamford, if you can afford it I'd say go to Fairfield.

Sorry I didn't get into much detail but if you have anymore questions, please post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Reputation: 11228
I agree with kidyankee. He did an excellent job with the descriptions. I tried adding to your rep, but it says I have to spread it around. Good post, Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
 
138 posts, read 511,996 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Suburban - Fairfield, New Fairfield, Shelton, Trumbull
Rural - Redding, Sherman

Shelton is a former industrial city which is now one of Fairfield County's most up and coming suburbs. There is the gritty downtown area, which has excellent restaurants, nightlife, and a great place to get cheesecake (can't remember the name!). There are lots of restaurants and plenty of shopping along Bridgeport Avenue. It is affordable for Fairfield County, but is still pricey. Schools are good. Lots and lots of corporations along Bridgeport Avenue (near Commerce Drive). It would be 45 minutes to Stamford without traffic.

Trumbull is Shelton's neighbor to the south. It is established and is a nice community to live - very suburban. There isn't really a walkable downtown like Shelton's, but there is a mall in town with plenty of shopping available. Schools are good here too. Commute would be about 10 minutes less than Shelton's, to Stamford.

Redding is a woodsy residential community with not much in the way of shopping. If you don't mind a rural town, then Redding is excellent. It is very expensive though so keep that in mind. Schools are great, and are shared with Easton (Region 9). Commute to Stamford would be about 40 minutes without traffic.

Sherman is a rural town in extreme northern Fairfield County on Candlewood Lake. It's a very small town without a high school - the students in town go to New Milford or New Fairfield High. Commuting to Stamford would be a trek, about an hour or more without traffic.

Fairfield is along the coast in southern Fairfield County. It is suburban and established, and is a large town with excellent schools. New Fairfield is along Candlewood Lake south of Sherman, north of Danbury. Lots of ex-NYers live in New Fairfield, and there is a substantial summer population due to the many lake homes along Candlewood. Shopping closest to New Fairfield would be in Danbury, about 10 minutes to the south.

Fairfield would be the closest town to Stamford, if you can afford it I'd say go to Fairfield.

Sorry I didn't get into much detail but if you have anymore questions, please post!
YES thank you!! You did an awesome job, huge help...really won't know till I come visit whats right, but I got it narrowed down now, thank you everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM
 
200 posts, read 610,987 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut24 View Post
after looking more I do think I will be stuck going with the Newton area, its far but its affordable. I have talked to some people from there that drive to around Stamford and its about an hour with back roads (a nice change from chicago traffic) I will have to try it out when i come to visit to make sure it can be done in a decent amount of time. I would rather drive more then be stuck in an apartment.

It is Newtown, not Newton. Newton is in Mass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2009, 12:01 PM
 
138 posts, read 511,996 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
It is Newtown, not Newton. Newton is in Mass.

that's what I meant, I apologize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2009, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Pendergrass, Georgia
34 posts, read 111,571 times
Reputation: 27
To Jay,
Jay this is Sandra, the gal moving to Conn. at the beginning of April with my 2 pure bred persian kittys..from California
I see you are the moderator of the site and I am rather new to the forum, however as I scan for info, I always read your replies. I can tell you know what is what....so thank you for trying to help all of us...
Meanwhile, my house is now in escrow and the days are ticking by...I am still in need of a place to land.
My son & daughter will drive with me to move my furnishings in a truck and we will drive my car also.
They need to be back in Ca before April 15, I need to find a place to unload when we arrive and then know what airport I will use to send them home...now I am looking at New Haven, where in New Haven is not a good neighborhood? I am a little hesitant about negotiating a room, not knowing the people yet. I am considering just renting a place like a 1 bedroom or studio, just for the first month, until I am able to actually do the footwork and actually seeing and talking to the landlords. Is there such a place....I am not set on any real particular town, just that I feel safe, my kittys are safe when I
would leave the building, and I would not have to be among any sort of people partying with drugs sorry, but that isn't okay with me....don't mind people having a great time, but no drugs....
I really want to land and like the place for my first month, a sunporch, a deck, bright sunny room, with lots of windows with the water nearby....I am bringing the bones of my house, so is there a place to store if I cannot have my things in my place? Is there someplace I could land and live for a week? with out paying hotel night prices.....I am thinking 600. to 800.00 to rent for the first month, as I get to go out and check the area.....my email is deerstar1@yahoo.com
I am an extremely, clean, responsible, reliable, (fun too) person, I take care of things, I will be an excellent tenant, but I do not want to be taken advantage of either....thank you for any advice I do appreciate your help....sincerely sandra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2009, 03:49 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Reputation: 11228
Sandra - Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate them and am glad I could help. I am glad to hear that you have settled on New Haven. It is a nice small city with a lot to offer. As I had suggested, I would recommend loking into the shoreline towns east of New Haven like Branford, Guilford and Madison.

It would probably be best to center your search around Branford. It is a very nice small town with a lot of apartments and condos. It has a nice small downtown area plus most of the basic things you need like shopping reataurants and entertainment. It sounds like you would be best looking for an extended stay hotel for the first month, but I do not know any particular ones to suggest. Another option would be to check craigslist.com for places.

As for your family, the best place for them to fly back from would be Bradley Airport in Hartford. Another option would be the New York Airports (Kennedy or LaGaurdia). There are shuttle services to get them to the airports if you do not want to drive them. Good luck with your move. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 10:27 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,742 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
But keep in mind the towns with the highest scoring Top schools often come with a bigger price tag.
Question: What sources do you suggest for finding good schools? Those I've found (eg greatschools.com) seem mostly to rely on standardized test scores which are a start but don't give a very full picture. There are some parent comments but they are generally so few that it's hard to know how much weight to give them. Can anyone suggest alternative sources, not necessarily online (eg books)?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top