Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM

894 posts, read 2,370,215 times

Advertisements

i have been reading how people say hartford and bridgeport are the ghetto/crime ridden etc yet when i googled maped the cities the area i looked at where very nice clean residential areas or nice area so which area of those cities are bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2009, 07:54 PM

9,861 posts, read 14,188,217 times
The satellite views are super deceptive. There are a couple of good/decent areas in Bridgeport: Brooklawn (so-so areas to nice areas), the North End (bordering Trumbull/Fairfield), and Black Rock. Treeland neighborhood is also pretty decent. The east, south, and central/west parts of Bridgeport are crime-ridden and sketchy.
As for Hartford, I can only speak to areas I have been in. The area to the south near the hospital is about as rough and tumble as urban areas can get, while the north part of Hartford is a pretty crime-ridden ghetto as well.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM

well i read something about coleman street in bridgeport on here and i googled and it looks pretty nice, i mean im from chicago and that coleman street doesnt look that bad compared to some neighborhoods on the west and southsides...

do those cities have a big gang problem is that why they are rough?

Old 02-28-2009, 08:16 PM

That area--where Coleman Street is--has great potential. There are just a lot of run-down, some boarded-up, crime houses in that area, as well as poverty. It's not awful, but just an area that has seen much-better days (think the 1940s/50s), and the backbone of Bridgeport (manufacturing) has mostly long since left the city.
The city has excellent potential, as the suburbs of Bridgeport are some of the wealthier areas in the United States (Fairfield/Trumbull), and the city has some nice parts of downtown. Corruption in city government, bad mayors, high property taxes, bad schools, crime, white flight, and fleeing industry has all left this city in a very bad situation. It is CT's largest city in population, with around 140k. There are some gangs, but I am unsure as to the details. I know Hartford has a terrible gang problem.

Bridgeport was trying to get the wheels turning (and has been for a while) on a renaissance/gentrification a few years ago. Prior to this massive recession, Bridgeport was deemed one of the biggest real estate bargain potentials in the US, due to its Fairfield (wealth) County location and its proximity (about 1 hr, 10 mins) to NYC. But mostly, little saw completion and Bridgeport is again faltering and moving backwards instead of forwards in a lot of ways. Sad to see.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM

are there efforts to improve hartford?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 PM

722 posts, read 1,971,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
That area--where Coleman Street is--has great potential. There are just a lot of run-down, some boarded-up, crime houses in that area, as well as poverty. It's not awful, but just an area that has seen much-better days (think the 1940s/50s), and the backbone of Bridgeport (manufacturing) has mostly long since left the city.
The city has excellent potential, as the suburbs of Bridgeport are some of the wealthier areas in the United States (Fairfield/Trumbull), and the city has some nice parts of downtown. Corruption in city government, bad mayors, high property taxes, bad schools, crime, white flight, and fleeing industry has all left this city in a very bad situation. It is CT's largest city in population, with around 140k. There are some gangs, but I am unsure as to the details. I know Hartford has a terrible gang problem.

Bridgeport was trying to get the wheels turning (and has been for a while) on a renaissance/gentrification a few years ago. Prior to this massive recession, Bridgeport was deemed one of the biggest real estate bargain potentials in the US, due to its Fairfield (wealth) County location and its proximity (about 1 hr, 10 mins) to NYC. But mostly, little saw completion and Bridgeport is again faltering and moving backwards instead of forwards in a lot of ways. Sad to see.
You would call Fairfield and Trumbull some of the wealthiest areas in the United States? And what gang problem is there in Hartford? Personally, I think that the problem with hartford is there is too much poverty. And wherever there are poor people, there will be the will to do anything to survive. Including killing people that owe u money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
well i read something about coleman street in bridgeport on here and i googled and it looks pretty nice, i mean im from chicago and that coleman street doesnt look that bad compared to some neighborhoods on the west and southsides...

do those cities have a big gang problem is that why they are rough?

Google Atlantic Terminal Projects in Brooklyn and tell me if what you see is ugly. You cant google map everything, or else you'll get a roof. You didnt think you were gonna see bodies strawn about did you, lol, man jk.

Bridgeport isn't as bad as hartford. Its probably just as poor, but everybody in Bridgeport isn't trying to kill each other, like hartford. Where did u read this article at?

Hope I didnt offend.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:16 PM

722 posts, read 1,971,601 times
About cleaning up Hartford, yes. Hartford is moving alot faster than Bridgeport because they get a lot more attention, plus it has alot of companies headquartered there. I was there 2 weeks ago, and it looks like a renaissance is slowly moving upward through the north end, from downtown

Old 02-28-2009, 11:09 PM

2,486 posts, read 4,681,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
About cleaning up Hartford, yes. Hartford is moving alot faster than Bridgeport because they get a lot more attention, plus it has alot of companies headquartered there. I was there 2 weeks ago, and it looks like a renaissance is slowly moving upward through the north end, from downtown
Actually, the reason Hartford has been gettting more attention than Bridgeport is because there have been some horrible incidents of crime that have gained infamy at the national level - including the Park Street hit and run last year, and the shooting at the West Indian parade in the North End that injured about half a dozen people, including a young child. Hartford is now Connecticut's poorest city, and one of the poorest in the nation. There have been some upgrades here and there, but no middle-class family would want to live here, because even the streets where there's been revitalization are often surrounded by other streets that are utter warzones. I'm not kidding. Most of this revitalization is geared toward lower-income families anyway, and the poverty that was once confined to the north end has now spread to other neighborhoods that were once mutliethnic and somewhat stable.

And Hartford is not the insurance company giant it used to be, either. ING fled to neighboring Windsor, MetLife is now in Bloomfield, and many other insurance companies have cut jobs lately - alot of them. I really wish I could speak in more optimistic terms about the city. I will say this, though: Downtown has some promising features and some a decent nightlife, with some nice restaurants and bars, and a decent arts scene. Still, most people view the city as an entertainment zone and nothing more - a place for suburbanites to drive into, spend money for a few hours and then go home. Unless there's improvement in neighborhoods where the actual people live where a solid middle class can flourish, then it's not going to prosper. And with the economy in shambles it's gonna be 10 times harder for people and businesses to show a vested interest in the city. There needs to be more of a middle class there, and outside of downtown and the West end you dont' really see that in Hartford.

Bridgeport has its share of problems but also its share of progress: it's certainly alot better now than when the Father Pannick Village was around, and some of its neighborhoods are actually pretty nice. And its close proximity to New York gives it somewhat of a leg up. Some parts of it are truly terrbile, I know, but overall it's not as bad as it once was.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:20 AM

34,634 posts, read 56,369,388 times
Coleman Street is located in part of Bridgeport that is locally known as The Hollow. It has been a historically poor area since long before WWII. It has a lot of older and somewhat rundown homes. From google photos it may not look bad and even driving around it is not that bad, but it does have issues.

As for comparing Hartford and Bridgeport, Hartford still has a large employment and corporate base, Bridgeport does not. Most of Bridgeport's major industries have left. Hartford still has a lot of office, medical and goevernment jobs. I do not agree with MikeCT discription of Hartford or that its poor areas are spreading. Also its revitalization is NOT geared toward the poor. If you look downtown, you will see many new upscale apartments and condos have been built. Also, the revitalization of Asylum Hill is more upscale too. A major developer has been buying buildings there and kicking out the rif-raf. This has been well documented in The Courant.

I do agree that Hartford has lost some good corporate citizens with the moves of WFSB, Metlife, ING and Mass Mutual. I blame this on the current Mayor who did little to help or work with these to stay in town. All of these companies were looking to stay in Hartford but counld not find the space needed within the city. Had Mayor Perez worked with them quicker, at least one of them would have stayed.

But on the positive side, Aetna is expanding in the city. Northeast Utilities and AI Engineering are moving in and there is a good market for residential development downtown. All that said, the current economic situation will take a toll on every city, not just Hartford. Jay

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
You would call Fairfield and Trumbull some of the wealthiest areas in the United States? And what gang problem is there in Hartford? Personally, I think that the problem with hartford is there is too much poverty. And wherever there are poor people, there will be the will to do anything to survive. Including killing people that owe u money.
I didn't write "wealthiEST", I wrote "wealthiER" areas in the US. And absolutely the suburbs are among the wealthier in the US.

There are gang-related crimes that occur all over Hartford. Just do a google search and you'll see. Even Stamford has some gang activity on its west side. And Stamford is labeled one of the US safest cities over 100k....gangs can be anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut