Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:28 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
FOXNews.com - Professor Takes Heat for Calling Cops on Student Who Discussed Guns in Class - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
But Jerold Duquette, an associate professor of political science at CCSU who sits on the Faculty Senate Committee on Academic Freedom, say the Wahlberg case is not so clear-cut.
“This is a situation where both sides can come up with a reasonable explanation,” Duquette said.
“[Wahlberg] certainly has a reason to complain, since he didn’t do anything directly threatening. But I wouldn’t say the administration has a reason to sanction or punish the professor or the police.... I don’t know if I would have done anything differently in the situation.”
Katie Kasprzak, a spokeswoman for the group Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, suggested that the professor called the police because she disagreed with Wahlberg’s political views.
"Critics of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus argue that colleges and universities are dedicated to the free flow of ideas,” she said. “Yet when a student gives a class presentation on a relevant issue in the media, it is acceptable to label the student as a threat? The only threat posed was a threat to the professor’s personal beliefs.”
Duquette said there was no evidence to support that.
“I think a lot of people see this as a liberal professor going after a student because he likes guns. I don’t know if that’s the case,” Duquette said, adding that more would need to be known about the incident.
FauxNews - There's a reliable source...their source was the Recorder! LOL ridiculous

Last edited by kidyankee764; 03-04-2009 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-05-2009, 04:13 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
Of course Fox is reliable, you probably just dont like it because it isn't liberal news, like EVERY other station. Like those are non biased?? Please!

Old 03-05-2009, 04:17 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Professor Called Police After Student Presentation | CCSU Recorder (http://therecorderonline.net/2009/02/24/professor-called-police-after-student-presentation/ - broken link)
Student gives gun rights presentation as part of a class assignment. Teacher becomes afraid and calls campus police on the student. Campus police calls him into their station, reads off a list of guns the student owns and has registered and then asked him where are his guns since they're illegal on campus. Student lives off campus and so they're legal. Are the people of your state like this professor who the mere mention of guns makes her want to call the police?
what are you doing, picking a fight? if you don't plan on moving up here anytime in the near future then what do you care?

Old 03-05-2009, 04:51 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Funny that only FoxNews is reporting this. Does anybody else find it fishy that this incident happened back in October, and is being reported in MARCH? If I do my math correctly that's FIVE months. Seems to me someone has an agenda!
Yes it is funny isn't it?

You see it from one angle, and I see it from another.

Why are the other outlets NOT covering it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
Frankly, I would have to agree. I go to UCONN, which is a different school in Connecticut. Last year, the school spent thousands of dollars on an emergency alert system that first consisted of airhorns. So, at the beginning of last year, (07, my sophomore year), they tested all of the horns and confirmed that they work. My only problem is that wtf do I do when I hear these horns? Run for cover? Run into a building, that may as well be gettin shot up? hmm..lots of questions + random airhorns = mass confusion divided by a waste of money.

Secondly, UCONN also instituted a text message system. So if theres ever an incident where there is a threat, they'll let us know via text message. Fair enough, right? Only one problem-they can only get off 1,000 text messages at a time. They have to wait a half hour to get another 1000 off. Why even bother? The only people that would benefit is those whose last name begin with A.

All of this to make us "feel safe". So 3 weeks ago, a girl said that she saw a suspicious man outside her apartment and felt threatened. So what does UCONN do? Alert-SUSPICIOUS MAN IN AREA NEAR HILLTOP APTs. Meanwhile, in another on-campus apartment complex, these guys robbed a kid at gunpoint and stole $6000 worth of "items" from his room. Was there an alert? Nope. They were probably too busy getting off the text messages from the last "incident"

Connecticut is pretty much a reactionist state, especially when it comes to safety. "Wear your seatbelt", "Dont talk on your phone and drive". So yea, that probably would have happened anywhere in CT.
Wow, well said in a very Waterburian fashion. We have a tendency to cut through the B.S. don't we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather121 View Post

Ahh Fox news...fair and biased...
Verses the other networks NOT reporting it?

Maybe you like being a sheep bleating to the same "master" but I don't.

I'm glad we have a network not beholden to one ideology. (NBC? ) Anyone who says they are NOT "fair and balanced" has never watched the network and/or does not have an objective outlook.

Many studies have been done from unbiased sources that show they give equal coverage to both sides of the isle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Same here - I don't really see what the big deal is. They questioned the kid to see if he was a threat. He obviously was not, so he was free to leave. I wish everyone in Connecticut would do the same thing as this professor.
Of course you wouldn't.

Maybe I should report you to the police and they come to your house and detain you for a drug search since you are so adamant toward legalization? I'm mean, if your clean you are free to go. What would the problem be?

Wait, didn't the NAZI regime do something similar to it's "people"? Hmmm.

We have a second amendment RIGHT. Rights are not privileges, they are rights.

When you turn a right into a privilege, it can then be controlled and revoked such as a drivers license.

The RIGHT to bear arms is NOT a privilege.

And by the way, I don't own a gun anymore but SHOULD I CHOOSE to, I don't think it very American for me to be "detained" at will until all my "sources" are checked because someone got a shiver up their spine or disagrees with me.

Wait, that would be stomping on my RIGHT to free speech as well. Go figure.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
FauxNews - There's a reliable source...their source was the Recorder! LOL ridiculous
And you think THIS kind of behavior is okay?
Wahlberg declined to comment further to FOXNews.com, saying he did not want more media attention....

Anderson did not respond to calls from FOXNews.com...

...Campus police forwarded requests to university spokesman Mark McLaughlin, who declined to comment, citing Wahlberg’s privacy.
That's called stonewalling. I guess your fine with that though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
what are you doing, picking a fight? if you don't plan on moving up here anytime in the near future then what do you care?
Oh I dunno, maybe he's concerned about his second amendment RIGHTS.

You know...little things like that.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:59 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Default CCSU Professor Example of People of Your State

WHOA....lets not go bashing all the people in the State of CT just because a teacher felt she was doing what was required of her as a teacher. If I had read a paper from a student that went a tad overboard describing guns and what guns he had and he was not clear about exactly where the guns were...Connecticut or not, I would have reported it to someone. It is not something that maybe that all Connecticut people would do but it is something a teacher HAS to do so ease up a little on us, ok?

Don't you think that the incident at Columbine is still on people's minds when the subject of guns comes up and it involves a student? Doesn't matter if it is a High Schooler or a College student, I think people still think about that one. Yes that kid was a whack job but how did this teacher know that maybe this person who wrote about guns wasn't a tad off? How was she suppose to know where these guns were or if they were legal if this student didn't say so??

This teacher set a good example whether or not you like it or agree with it, she was doing her job.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
JV - So glad you're here or i might end up being the only conservative left...

Old 03-05-2009, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Yes that kid was a whack job but how did this teacher know that maybe this person who wrote about guns wasn't a tad off? How was she suppose to know where these guns were or if they were legal if this student didn't say so??
How do we know you are not a "tad off". Maybe you need to be investigated.

I hear about all these teachers having sex with kids. What's to say you are not in the same mindset? I see you have seveal posts about the subject here on CD.

I think you need to be evaluated.

For the safety of the children of course.

See my point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
JV - So glad you're here or i might end up being the only conservative left...
Ditto. "1 can put a thousand to flight...2 ten thousand."

Old 03-05-2009, 05:24 AM

200 posts, read 611,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Of course Fox is reliable, you probably just dont like it because it isn't liberal news, like EVERY other station. Like those are non biased?? Please!
Oh please lady, nobody said anything about CNN. We know they're liberal and Fox conservative. Why deny it when you know it? WOW, you think it's reliable for a station to report this using the same campus paper that a few yrs ago they CALLED unreliable and "messed up" because of their rape article. Just WOW... some ppl are so ignorant.

One word and if you don't see it then you need to open your eyes, AGENDA!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
And you think THIS kind of behavior is okay?
Wahlberg declined to comment further to FOXNews.com, saying he did not want more media attention....

Anderson did not respond to calls from FOXNews.com...

...Campus police forwarded requests to university spokesman Mark McLaughlin, who declined to comment, citing Wahlberg’s privacy.
That's called stonewalling. I guess your fine with that though.

Oh I dunno, maybe he's concerned about his second amendment RIGHTS.

You know...little things like that.
You were not in the classroom, you dont know what went down. Would you rather the teacher go to the cops, or have a similar VA Tech tragedy at CCSU? It's got NOTHI*NG to do with 2nd amendment rights. They didn't take his right away, DID THEY?

Old 03-05-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
Oh please lady, nobody said anything about CNN. We know they're liberal and Fox conservative. Why deny it when you know it? WOW, you think it's reliable for a station to report this using the same campus paper that a few yrs ago they CALLED unreliable and "messed up" because of their rape article. Just WOW... some ppl are so ignorant.

One word and if you don't see it then you need to open your eyes, AGENDA!.
But did you also not see in their report that they were stonewalled?

What would you prefer then...no one report on it? Isn't that the purpose of stonewalling - to make something "go away"?

You want agenda? There is your agenda. The people who want guns made illegal are playing the game by stonewalling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle's Best 28 View Post
You were not in the classroom, you dont know what went down. Would you rather the teacher go to the cops, or have a similar VA Tech tragedy at CCSU? It's got NOTHI*NG to do with 2nd amendment rights. They didn't take his right away, DID THEY?
They infringed on his rights. They most certainly did!

Are you not free to excersize your freedom of speech? How would you feel if what you said was "scary" to someone, they reported you and you were detained and your life riffled through to make sure you were not a "threat"?

Would you not feel like your first amendment right was violated?

I'm sure you would or you are being disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut