Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2007, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 27,604 times

Advertisements

Lived in Fairfield County all my life - I feel drained. Looking to pick the family up (wife, 2 kids, 1 dog) and move up the coast. We want:
- slower pace
- good education system
- shore town
- friendlier people
- bigger house (for the money - we're in Norwalk)
- more property
- breathing room

Yet, we would still want access to NYC (gotta get that fix on occasion). We've visited Old Saybrook a few times, but don't know too much about Guilford or Madison. I've read a few posts comparing Guilford and Madison. But if you threw Old Saybrook into the mix, how do they compare.

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Last edited by fleeingFFldCnty; 03-22-2007 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 10:15 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,021,048 times
Those areas you described;
Old Saybrook, Guilford, Madison are very pleasant- and are likely to offer a much more pleasant life then Fairfield county- which are 'in Connecticut'- but is not- get the 'picture'- Also try eastern Connecticut, Tolland county, Windham- to east near the Rhode Island border- very quiet and nice- and they say CT is 'all the same' hardly- actually the aforementioned areas are like another world from FF County- and housing prices are incredibly low- much lower then the coastal towns east of New Haven you mentioned.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 27,604 times
Default skytrekker

Thanks for your insights! Maybe a drive through that 'neck of the woods' would be a good idea for us.

I do have this thing though about being on the coast near the salt water that may keep me looking along there - but I realize the cost-of-living will not be as much of an improvement.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:35 AM

Fleeing

good luck- the eastern CT shore will bring you much peace- try also Stonington, Mystic- a bit further to the east-

Seems like FFLD county is seeing a out migration.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:53 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Fleeing

good luck- the eastern CT shore will bring you much peace- try also Stonington, Mystic- a bit further to the east-

Seems like FFLD county is seeing a out migration.
Hi skytrekker,

How very timely. Did you see today's Hartford Courant? It reported on the very same subject. Approximately 56,000 folks left the county over a 16-year time span (I believe) with many staying within Connecticut. It was by far the largest departure of any of the eight (8) counties.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:59 AM

Yes Rich
I did read that- (as you might have guessed I would!)
Interesting demographics to say the least- Seems like CT east of the river is becoming a desirable place to live.

Also- I have driven from I 84 east- to CT 74 east, to 44 east to 101 into Rhode Island Many times over the years- its very peaceful, and rural- try the drive sometime- its very easy on the mind and soul. Rolling hills, farms, vineyards, low traffic, minimal shopping- small town attitude. I hope we can keep it that way!

Last edited by skytrekker; 03-22-2007 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-24-2007, 11:21 AM

48 posts, read 228,516 times
I grew up in Guilford and Id say its what your looking for EXCEPT, the homes are quite expensive, but the school system and crime rates are excelent. Madison is about the same, but slightly more expensive. Very peaceful towns. Old Saybrook you can prob. get a larger house for the money as Guilford and Madison are VERY 'hot' markets right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut