Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:04 AM

3,991 posts, read 6,572,077 times

Advertisements

Hi - anyone know a good place to buy a kids swing set, tower combo type of thing? I looked at Cedarworks and Timbergyms, but thought they were pretty pricey even for the smaller sets. Anyone have any experience with the sets they sell at Toy's R Us? I don't need the "cadillac" of models, but I would like one that will last for 5+ years for my kids. Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 11:26 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,428,287 times
We bought one at Toys R Us, one of the metal deals, a smaller set, but we're only renting a home at this point and didnt want anything too permanent in the ground. I think it was a couple hundred bucks, comes with two swings, a teeter totter, slide and those hanging bars you can hang from.
It has lasted a year so far and seems like it will last a lot longer.

But i looked around for a bigger one with a tower etc for awhile and they were ALL at least 1000 dollars.
Thankfully for me my husband is building one once we purchase a home for only the cost of materials as he is from a contractor's family and can build just about anything professionally looking.
My parents got a free deck out of him... HAHA!

Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks - yes I saw most are $1,000 ++++. There were some at Toys R Us that are wood, that fall under that amount which is why I was wondering about the quality.

Hmm, i could use a new deck. Whats your husband up to next week?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,428,287 times
haha!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 01:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
Check out Walmart's selection. Some models are Cedar, no worries about carpenter bees chewing up the set.

Old 03-10-2009, 02:18 PM

220 posts, read 469,632 times
We bought a set from Wal-Mart 2 years ago, and so far it's been great. It has a tower, slide, 3 swings, and a table. The wood does seem to be a little lighter/flimsier than the expensive sets at the outdoor furniture places, but it's not an issue. All the reviews were great, it was easy for us to assemble, it looks good, and it's holding up well. All for $400. I would buy it again in a minute.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdpm View Post
We bought a set from Wal-Mart 2 years ago, and so far it's been great. It has a tower, slide, 3 swings, and a table. The wood does seem to be a little lighter/flimsier than the expensive sets at the outdoor furniture places, but it's not an issue. All the reviews were great, it was easy for us to assemble, it looks good, and it's holding up well. All for $400. I would buy it again in a minute.
Thanks - do you remember what brand it was?

Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 AM

220 posts, read 469,632 times
I'm not sure, but I think it may have been "Adventure Playsets"--something like that. We originally wanted the $300 one, which was a little smaller, but everything was sold out. I'm happier with the one we got, so it worked out well. Wal-Mart only carried one brand of the wooden sets, with a few different models. Big advice---don't wait!!! I can't remember exactly when we started looking, but it was definitely early-ish, and everywhere was sold out. I ended up searching Wal-Marts all over CT and Mass to find our model. (I think I got the last one in New England.)
If you do end up getting one, it helps to spread out all the pieces before you start and label them with chalk.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krdpm View Post
I'm not sure, but I think it may have been "Adventure Playsets"--something like that. We originally wanted the $300 one, which was a little smaller, but everything was sold out. I'm happier with the one we got, so it worked out well. Wal-Mart only carried one brand of the wooden sets, with a few different models. Big advice---don't wait!!! I can't remember exactly when we started looking, but it was definitely early-ish, and everywhere was sold out. I ended up searching Wal-Marts all over CT and Mass to find our model. (I think I got the last one in New England.)
If you do end up getting one, it helps to spread out all the pieces before you start and label them with chalk.
Walmart has more instock if you order online.

Kmart has some too. Just going to mention again, don't get pine unless you like screaming kids running away from carpenter bees. Even the treated stuff gets munched on after some time out in the elements.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:26 AM

All - thanks again for the feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut