Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:14 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times

Advertisements

Is there a story behind this name? Sorry but yuck.
I was asking someone about a good kennel to board my dog and they recommended a kennel in New Hartford and said that is by Satan's Kingdom Road.
Is there a story behind this name? It's kind of creepy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 02:17 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,028 times
There is actually a state recreation area called Satans' Kingdom in i believe it's in New Hartford. I used to drive by it myself all the time..though i'm not sure why they named it that.
It is on the farmington river and there is tubing.

I'm aware of that kennel right near it as well and have heard a few good things..just an FYI

Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
Is there a story behind this name? Sorry but yuck.
I was asking someone about a good kennel to board my dog and they recommended a kennel in New Hartford and said that is by Satan's Kingdom Road.
Is there a story behind this name? It's kind of creepy
I've never heard of that one before. What the hell kind of a name is that?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:34 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,248 times
Creepy is what it is, lol. Apparently it's a street name and recreation park in west Hartford. I'm sure it's got some old school pre Revolutionary war historical backround but seriously, some things need to be changed, lol. I wouldn't want to live around there. But then, I'm picky about names. Not far from me in Virginia was the town of Bumpass. Wouldn't live there either.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:33 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
I don't know why it's called that. We went there last summer with the family, and took a canoe boat trip from there-the same place they do tubing. It's run by Huck Finn Adventures, and they were nice-they lashed two canoes together for the 7 of us.

Crazy name, but really nice place!

Old 03-09-2009, 04:46 PM
AVA

129 posts, read 321,235 times
Yes,that kennel is right next to Satan's Kingdom State Park.I don't get it either-terrible name lol

Old 03-09-2009, 05:13 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,757,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVA View Post
Yes, that kennel is right next to Satan's Kingdom State Park. I don't get it either - terrible name lol
This reminds me of a "mistake" that Chrysler Corporation made in the early '70s when they gave Dodge a clone of the Plymouth Duster. What did they name it? Demon. Within a few years, they had to rename it because people in the South objected strongly to it. The new name: Dart Sport.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:32 PM

109 posts, read 437,336 times
Default History of Satan's Kingdom Name

New Hartford's history:

In the eastern part of this town there is a rough and mountainous district, formerly designated Satan's Kingdom, and the few inhabitants who lived here were in a measure shut out from the rest of mankind. An inhabitant of the town invited one of his neighbors, who lived within the limits of this district, to go and hear Mr. Marsh, the first minister who was settled in the town. He was prevailed upon to go to church in the forenoon. In the course of his prayer, Mr. Marsh, among other things, prayed that Satan's kingdom might be destroyed. It appears that the inhabitant of this district, took the expression in a literal and tangible sense, having probably never heard the expression used but in reference to the district wherin he resided. Being asked to go to meeting in the afternoon, he refused, stating that Mr. Marsh had insulted him; "for blast him," said he, "when he prayed for the destruction of Satan's kingdom, he very well knew all my interests lay there."

Old 03-10-2009, 05:56 AM

786 posts, read 3,924,814 times
When we were house hunting, the was a house for sale on "Hellgate" Road in Durham. I told our Realtor I didn't need to look at that house - there was no way I was buying a house on a road with that name.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:34 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,897,644 times
I know Tom Hooker is a historical figure in CT, but I still would not want to live on Hooker St. WH, off South Quaker Lane!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut