Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

I agree with goldenband. Good post JV. Nice rebuttal with good sources to back it up. I can't rep you either otherwise I would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
Great post, JViello.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Creationism is a construct of religion. Evolution is scientific theory. Two different things. Apples and oranges.

Why people insist on comparing two things that bear no relation to each other?

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,003,508 times
Thanks to everyone for the kind words...you're making me blush a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
I would add that I know quite a few people who live according to these principles, but who aren't religious in any sense of the word; indeed, the majority of my friends and family fall into this category. Religion does seem to help a lot of people stay on the "straight and narrow", and no doubt there are many people who would stray from the Golden Rule, were it not for their religious beliefs. Somerset Maugham has a nice quote in one of his books from a character who's become an atheist, but recognizes the way in which his early religious training shaped his moral sense.
I agree with that for sure. I think you and I would sit down and find more common ground then not. Granted we may come to the conclusions from different angles, but there would still be common ground. I've come to respect that you live what you believe and even if I don't agree with it all I can still say Amen to that.

Touching on your example above, for me, the words I believe and read come to mind and motivate me, and I believe in being kind and helpful to folks but it's not because I'm "afraid" of anything. It's not robotic either, it's actually organic after all these years and just happens naturally as the words are written on my heart.

For example

When the crew of arborist were taking down some trees on my property in 95* weather I made sure they had plenty of cold spring water, fed them a good lunch, jumped in to help clean up the scrap branches and whatnot and gave a nice tip at the end for a job well done etc etc
Reference: Mat 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in,
Same when someone is being nasty behind the counter of a store or whatever and I put a :-) on the signature pad and smile and tell them to have a wonderful day.
Reference: Luk 6:28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Luk 6:29 If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic.
Or when the lazy cashier at Sam's was being "lazy" asking me to do her job in so many words, instead of rolling my eyes and calling the manager, I jumped in a helped her more than she asked me too.
Reference: Mat 5:41 If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles.
Regarding "good atheists" I'm finding in these later days there are "atheists" and then there are "NASTY atheists".

The first simple choose to believe God doesn't exist and could care less what we do. I feel the same way...they can believe what they want and won't get brow beat by me, that's for sure.

The second are a new group of people with a lot of hatred in their message out to destroy that which they don't agree with. Gee, that's the same thing they accuse the church of doing. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Creationism is a construct of religion. Evolution is scientific theory. Two different things. Apples and oranges.

Why people insist on comparing two things that bear no relation to each other?
Oh that would be too easy, and we know when things are too easy, they are usually not true.

Are you saying those of us who believe in creationism and/or intelligent design don't believe in science? LOL Oh Please. There are scientists who don't believe in evolution - you do know that right? They have scientific theory behind intelligent design with lots of "science" to support it.

For instance a small sample of our early history: Secularists would have you believe that Galileo was a "scientist" against the "church" and nothing could be further from the truth!

He was out to actually PROVE the Copernican (Nicholas Copernicus was a Catholic Cleric BTW) theological sect was correct! Whoa, you never hear that in modern schools!
What were Galileo Galilei's conflicts with the Roman Catholic Church? It was not a simple conflict between science and religion, as usually portrayed. Rather it was a conflict between Copernican science and Aristotelian science which had become Church tradition. Galileo expressed his scientific views supporting Copernicus as well as his biblical views in a 1615 letter to the Grand Duchess of Tuscany which became the basis of his first Church trial and censure. A major work published in 1632 resulted in Galileo's conviction on suspicion of heresy and a lifetime house arrest.
GALILEO - What were Galileo's scientific and biblical conflicts with the Church? - ChristianAnswers.Net

Old 03-12-2009, 02:16 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
For instance a small sample of our early history: Secularists would have you believe that Galileo was a "scientist" against the "church" and nothing could be further from the truth!

He was out to actually PROVE the Copernican (Nicholas Copernicus was a Catholic Cleric BTW) theological sect was correct! Whoa, you never hear that in modern schools!
You won't believe how many times Galileo was hurled at my face, all my life, from college to work, by the leftist intellectuals (poser intellectuals?) and me having to go into polemics, mostly futile, in what I wanna call the one-ideology school of thought among learned individuals, coming out of every university in all their ug, pg and doctorate colours.

It's appalling how the areligious faction has converted Galileo into some kind of pre-superman superman of the leftist movement.

This is the latest one I got on my kindle. And it makes scary reading about how an allegorically taliban-contemporarisome scholarly elite are messing with the independent brains of the modern scholastic individual.

Amazon.com: One-Party Classroom: How Radical Professors at America's Top Colleges Indoctrinate Students and Undermine Our Democracy: David Horowitz, Jacob Laksin: Books

Old 03-12-2009, 02:38 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
That must be strong kool-aid you're drinking.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You won't believe how many times Galileo was hurled at my face, all my life, from college to work, by the leftist intellectuals (poser intellectuals?) and me having to go into polemics, mostly futile, in what I wanna call the one-ideology school of thought among learned individuals, coming out of every university in all their ug, pg and doctorate colours.

It's appalling how the areligious faction has converted Galileo into some kind of pre-superman superman of the leftist movement.

This is the latest one I got on my kindle. And it makes scary reading about how an allegorically taliban-contemporarisome scholarly elite are messing with the independent brains of the modern scholastic individual.

Amazon.com: One-Party Classroom: How Radical Professors at America's Top Colleges Indoctrinate Students and Undermine Our Democracy: David Horowitz, Jacob Laksin: Books
Well said! While knowledge has increased in these later days on things like nuclear physics, molecular biology etc...the REAL intellects and free thinkers are in short supply IMO.

I sometimes laugh at those who say they are "free thinkers" as I see them as some of the most close minded people to walk the earth parroting things of caveman like conclusion.

Where have the great minds gone?

I've read that book. GREAT book.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
That must be strong kool-aid you're drinking.
This showed up just after I made my post.

POINT IN CASE! LOL

Old 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I did. It was a gentle attempt to get you to look at history.
Here's a gentle attempt to allow you to consider some common sense, read post #72. If still in denial there is counselling available. People can be reformed from the damage that religion has done.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:35 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

And will continue to hurled in your face! The pope had him tortured remember? You believe the world is flat don't you??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut