Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
Fairfield county 4 23.53%
New Haven county 7 41.18%
Shoreline/near the water 6 35.29%
Move back to NYC 0 0%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times

Advertisements

my best suggestion would be Lordship in Stratford if there are any houses for sale there. It is a very friendly community and the beach is in walking distance from everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
It sounds like you want to be convenient to the New York City trains and to your current home in Guilford (I assume that is where your child lives). I also assume that you want to be closer to NY, yet Fairfield is too expensive and Norwalk and Stamford are not to your liking. It sounds like you need to check Milford and Stratford. These are waterfront towns with trains stations on Metro North that are more affordable than Fairfield. There are many condo complexes in these towns, though they may not be as close to the water as you will like. Jay

Old 03-12-2009, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 13,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
A couple of questions for you and then maybe I can give you a little more help! How important is it to be on the water?
Not important at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
Are you looking at house or condo? In today's market, 400k will buy you a decent, small, older house in some very nice towns in Ffld County (Trumbull, Newtown, Monroe, Shelton). However, these towns are not on the water.
I'm leaning towards condo at this point, but "it depends". I'm open to either.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPC2000 View Post
why not Hartford?
My logic is that I'm in Guilford now with a two hour drive to either NYC or Boston, if I'm going to keep that commute time, I may as well live on the shoreline.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:59 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoseff View Post
My logic is that I'm in Guilford now with a two hour drive to either NYC or Boston, if I'm going to keep that commute time, I may as well live on the shoreline.
Have you considered Stamford? I am not too familiar with Stamford these days, other posters here are. Maybe they can chime in if $350k will buy a decent condo. Your commute to NYC/NJ would be a lot shorter, but obviously longer to Boston.

I also agree that Danbury would be a very good option. You should be able to find a nice condo in that price range.

Personally, I don't like Norwalk (the exception being Rowayton), at least not to live. I find it dirty. No bashing people, I am entitled to my opinion.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:57 AM

I chipped my tooth so I had to go to the dentist. The dentist I went to was is Madison, so while I was there I did some house hunting. There are many condos and SFHs well under $400K with 2000+ sq ft. and taxes are are $3K. The schools (according to online "research") are excellent and it will take 20 - 25 minutes *off* my commute time even though it's a few exits north on 95 from Guilford. There's Hammonasset State park, beaches, and it's still close to Durham for the Durham Fair (yes, I'm a sucker for the fair).

I'm going to look at the inside of some of the homes and will report back.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:13 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Default Looking for House in CT

I have lived in CT all my life with a short stint in Northern Maine. Coming back here to CT was surely culture shock for me but I don't think I would live anywhere else.

Connecticut seems to be famous for having run down areas in most of the towns I have seen and just like any other state, there is going to be some crime it is unavoidable.

I live in Meriden which is close to Cheshire, Southington, Plainville, Wallingford. If you tell people you live in Meriden they either roll their eyes or gasp. Yes we do have crime and the population here is probably 65,000 by now. There is a lot of rebuilding and refurbishing going on right now within the city and hopefully it will come back to what it use to be some time ago.

On the brighter side, Meriden is nearly dead center in the state and I believe 102 miles from Boston and maybe 103 miles to NYC. You can catch a train to either place from downtown Meriden. I have never had an issue being in the area of the train station in Meriden.

Homes? Well, my husband and I purchased a ranch style home, 2600 sq. ft, 4 bedrooms, 2 fireplaces, finished basement, laundry room, formal living room, inground pool 20X40 ft, 1/2 acre of land with a view of the city that would blow your mind...we purchased it in 2000 for $189,000 and it has been revalued at $375,000...not a bad deal. We have done some work on it but for the most part, we feel we got a great deal.

You can purchase a NICE condo here for probably $250,000..go to realtor.com and you will see all kinds of listings.

Happy hunting and hopefully you will find something or decide to move this way....

Old 03-13-2009, 12:58 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Madison is a highly desirable town with excellent schools. I am not sure what you will find there in your price range, but these days you never know. good luck, Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut