Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It's not THAT close to Connecticut. I certainly wouldn't enjoy over an hour's drive to Hartford every day. And it's NOT commutable to Danbury.
I was under the impression that the OP didn't have her mind set on where she will be going to school. That is why I mentioned Northampton.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I already suggested Northampton to the OP. She does not want to live there.
But to be honest I dont think she will find all the things she's looking for in CT.
We suggested New Haven and west Hartford as gay friendly but neither or those are to her liking. But to be honest there are not many suburbs with G&L population aside from those cities we listed.
Mass would better suit her and her needs.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:15 PM

16 posts, read 54,228 times
Once again thanks for your help. Although yes mass would be nice. But I am going to school for something not common at every university. . . Hence, not available in Northampton, surrounding areas.

I don't think a lot of you give CT credit for its tolerance. True, I'm not from there.Ill admit that. But coming from the south, CT does have much more to offer in terms of gay lifestyle and diversity overall. This i've only gathered from intensive research, but comparing to areas in the south, it is a fact . Gay marriage would never even be considered here. We can't have any sort of benefits together in fact. If my partner were to be injured in somehow, god forbid, and was hospitalized, I wouldn't legally even be allowed in the room.. . My point is that maybe some of you don't see it from this perspective. Maybe some of you don't realize the fact that your state gives people like us rights, forbidden in the majority of other places in the country. Maybe some are bitter that your state does offer these ammenities to gay people. Whatever the reason is that is causing some of you to steer me away from CT, maybe you should give your state a little more credit.

For now I have checked off CT as an option, due to much negative feedback from this site as well as others. To make myself clear again, I wasn't looking for a "castro" type area nor a town neccesarily with an over abundance of lesbians with a gay mayor, such as northampton. Just a safe, suburban or small urban community where I can feel comfortable to live my life without being harrassed. And maybe meet a few gay people to associate with. CT is beautiful state and I am sad to cancel it out from my options. . .

Thanks again to those who made suggestions. I greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:59 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFL View Post
Once again thanks for your help. Although yes mass would be nice. But I am going to school for something not common at every university. . . Hence, not available in Northampton, surrounding areas.

I don't think a lot of you give CT credit for its tolerance. True, I'm not from there.Ill admit that. But coming from the south, CT does have much more to offer in terms of gay lifestyle and diversity overall. This i've only gathered from intensive research, but comparing to areas in the south, it is a fact . Gay marriage would never even be considered here. We can't have any sort of benefits together in fact. If my partner were to be injured in somehow, god forbid, and was hospitalized, I wouldn't legally even be allowed in the room.. . My point is that maybe some of you don't see it from this perspective. Maybe some of you don't realize the fact that your state gives people like us rights, forbidden in the majority of other places in the country. Maybe some are bitter that your state does offer these ammenities to gay people. Whatever the reason is that is causing some of you to steer me away from CT, maybe you should give your state a little more credit.

For now I have checked off CT as an option, due to much negative feedback from this site as well as others. To make myself clear again, I wasn't looking for a "castro" type area nor a town neccesarily with an over abundance of lesbians with a gay mayor, such as northampton. Just a safe, suburban or small urban community where I can feel comfortable to live my life without being harrassed. And maybe meet a few gay people to associate with. CT is beautiful state and I am sad to cancel it out from my options. . .

JBFL - Do not let the comments of a few on this Board persuade your decision. They hardly represent the majority. Connecticut is a very tolerant state as long as you mind your own business and do not try to push your agenda on others.

You asked for a town in the Danbury area that is tolerant and affordable while having others like yourself. It does not necessarily exist. Some here made suggestions of towns known for having a larger gay population but those do not appear to work for you. The towns surrounding Danbury are pretty small and can be very expensive, particularly to the south. This area is within commuting distance to New York City and that drives real estate prices up.

You might check out the Town of New Milford which is about 15 minutes. north of Danbury. It is a small quaint community that has a wide range of housing options. I am not sure there is much of a gay community there but, like I said, if you do not try to push your agenda on others, they will respect you. Again, please reconsider. Jay

Old 03-31-2009, 04:53 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
If you'll be attending the Hartford school, you should at least consider the West End of Hartford. Lots of LGBT folks live there, though I can't say I knew all that many lesbians in Hartford -- it seemed like more of a gay men's town. If you rent towards the northern part of the West End, it's pretty safe. Not "perfect", but I think you'll find that nothing out there is, really.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
I think most of us in the state think of New Haven as being the best community for people living alternative lifestyles, but that's a somewhat broad generalization that "we" make. I've seen this organization located in Norwalk referenced many times over the years:Triangle Community Center - Serving the glbt community of southwestern CT. Maybe they can provide you with more detailed information regarding the "friendliest" towns/cities?

Old 03-31-2009, 05:14 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:

Okay, so you checked us off because?????

I'm a conservative person who is okay with live and let live so long as you are not trying to FORCE me to accept something I do not at a core level. I have gay "friends" and even though we disagree about fundementals, we treat each other with respect and kindness...those who are hell bent on being "gay and right about it no matter what someone else thinks" get shown the door. In other words, you are welcome in my home, I'll treat you like anyone else who walks through my door. We can be friends and I'll bend over backwards to be helpful etc...but don't for one minute think I'm going to teach my children that this is a "normal" practice. I believe it's a choice, and it's your right to choose that "choice" but I'm not at the same time going to condone it. You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe. People who disagree at fundemental levels can still interact and be civil with one another.

Understand? We "cool"? Good.

I can now look you in the face and say this place would be one of the best places for you to be along with MA.

You will find more people who just don't give a flip how you live your life here than anywhere down South.

As I've said before, just don't expect us to embrace far out San Franciso stuff here. We are blue as blue can get but still "reserved" as a state.

I hope that's not too "in your face" but I'm just being "real" here.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM

200 posts, read 611,034 times
Quote:

CT is not that tolerant. Honest. It's the CT supreme courts that enact the "tolerance"

There are 2 CTs. Lily-white wealthy CT of traditional families who go to church just to feel good about themselves. Then inner-city CT where the lily-whites never venture once the suburbanites leave at 5. No middle class towns, or very few (can probably count them on both hands).

Dont confuse accepting for indifference. People in CT don't care about you. That's how they roll here.

Flame me away guys, it's the truth.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Okay, so you checked us off because?????

I'm a conservative person who is okay with live and let live so long as you are not trying to FORCE me to accept something I do not at a core level. I have gay "friends" and even though we disagree about fundementals, we treat each other with respect and kindness...those who are hell bent on being "gay and right about it no matter what someone else thinks" get shown the door. In other words, you are welcome in my home, I'll treat you like anyone else who walks through my door. We can be friends and I'll bend over backwards to be helpful etc...but don't for one minute think I'm going to teach my children that this is a "normal" practice. I believe it's a choice, and it's your right to choose that "choice" but I'm not at the same time going to condone it. You believe what you believe, and I believe what I believe. People who disagree at fundemental levels can still interact and be civil with one another.

Understand? We "cool"? Good.

I can now look you in the face and say this place would be one of the best places for you to be along with MA.

You will find more people who just don't give a flip how you live your life here than anywhere down South.

As I've said before, just don't expect us to embrace far out San Franciso stuff here. We are blue as blue can get but still "reserved" as a state.

I hope that's not too "in your face" but I'm just being "real" here.
Yes, what this fellow said ^^^

I think you'd get along just fine in any place here that a college student could afford i.e. a city.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:48 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Bingo.

The fact that you're not moving here because what one or two people said to you on an ONLINE FORUM annoyed you, well then you're missing out on a lot. And who exactly gave you "negative feedback"? All I see are posts from ordinary people looking to help a stranger.

I know plenty of people who don't care about sexual orientation - people are people. Doesn't matter what happens behind closed doors.

I invite you to reconsider CT. You'll find we're no BS people, but still warm and friendly once you get to know us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut