Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM

4 posts, read 28,081 times

Advertisements

I know this question has been mentioned in similiar treads but every time I try to respond to one I keep getting prompted to register and I am registered.

Anyways, does anyone remember growing up in Stamford during the 60's and 70's and recall all of these old places that are now history and where they were located?

I remember the Starlight Drive-In on Shippan Avenue (many fun times with my cousins), Joanne's Hotdogs and Tony's Drive-in also on Shippan Avenue, the Duck-pin bowling alley and little amusement park on the same drag. There always were teenagers hanging out in the summer and bikers as well.

I also remember the Carry-Out on Summer Street next to Dairy Queen it was only a stand-up place and also there were two major shopping centers on lower Summer Street: One was where the A & P was along with County TV and there was a Mayflower Deli and Cottage Bakery there too. I also remember there were 3 Grand Central Markets (1 in Ridgeweay where my uncle worked as a manager), 1 on High Ridge Road and 1 on Bedford Street. I also remember Penn Drugs in Ridgeway with the old-fashioned lunch counter and Syl-Mays across the street that also had lunch counter. Summer Street was mostly homes and the same with Bedford Street and they were two-way streets. I also remember CT Music across the street from Police HQ's where I took clarinet lessons and also Bedford Records on Bedford Street where I bought my first records (Beatles White Album and Kiss Destroyer).

Stamford has changed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 PM

8 posts, read 57,039 times
Hi...I see you mention in your post taking clarinet lessons at Connecticut Music. My Dad taught there. Domenick DeVito Do you remember if he was your teacher? Such fond memories of Stamford. We need to stick together and keep those memories alive. email me at bob.devito at gmail.com

Thanks

Old 07-11-2016, 09:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,165 times
I remember buying my first tuxedo at Cousin Shapiro's on Pacific?

Old 09-15-2021, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Default Remembering Ralph's Confectionery

I was born in Stamford in 1952 and moved to Dayton, OH (where I still live) when I was 11 in 1964 along with many employees laid off from Conde Nast like my father.

I also remember the Starlight Drive-In where we went to see Martin and Lewis movies. I remember my father bowling Duck-pins too. And, my grandmother lived in an apartment building on Summer Street very close to the Dairy Queen.

I ask for your help. Up until age 5, I lived in a walk-up apartment above Ralph's Confectionery. I remember it had comic books and smelled of cigars. I believe this was on a street corner. I would like to know the address and how it has changed over the years.

Also, does anyone remember Vito's Barber Shop?

When I was 5, my parents had built a new house on Berrian Road where I went to Newfield Elementary through 6th grade before moving to Ohio.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:57 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
I miss Duckpin in Ct. Had one blocks away in Devon growing up. Did not know Stamford had one.

Old 09-16-2021, 05:51 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,343,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I miss Duckpin in Ct. Had one blocks away in Devon growing up. Did not know Stamford had one.

My mom was in a Duckpin league and she was always in the top 10 of bowlers. I loved Duckpin bowling.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:49 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

My mom was in a Duckpin league and she was always in the top 10 of bowlers. I loved Duckpin bowling.
My aunts and uncles also. latter bowled 209 in Devon, his scorecard on the wall, averaged about 140-150 (him, not I).

6 years ago, I bowled Candlepin in Western Ma.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
My aunts and uncles also. latter bowled 209 in Devon, his scorecard on the wall, averaged about 140-150 (him, not I).

6 years ago, I bowled Candlepin in Western Ma.
Do you know of any duckpin lanes in the Norwalk, Bridgeport and Milford areas? I would love to bowl duckpins again and have mentioned to my husband I wish there were duckpin lanes near us.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdevito View Post
Hi...I see you mention in your post taking clarinet lessons at Connecticut Music. My Dad taught there. Domenick DeVito Do you remember if he was your teacher? Such fond memories of Stamford. We need to stick together and keep those memories alive. email me at bob.devito at gmail.com

Thanks
My brother and I took lessons there. I live in Trumbull now but I still take my guitar to Joe Roberts at his home business. He is the nicest guy and he is great luthier.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mets1962 View Post
I know this question has been mentioned in similiar treads but every time I try to respond to one I keep getting prompted to register and I am registered.

Anyways, does anyone remember growing up in Stamford during the 60's and 70's and recall all of these old places that are now history and where they were located?

I remember the Starlight Drive-In on Shippan Avenue (many fun times with my cousins), Joanne's Hotdogs and Tony's Drive-in also on Shippan Avenue, the Duck-pin bowling alley and little amusement park on the same drag. There always were teenagers hanging out in the summer and bikers as well.

I also remember the Carry-Out on Summer Street next to Dairy Queen it was only a stand-up place and also there were two major shopping centers on lower Summer Street: One was where the A & P was along with County TV and there was a Mayflower Deli and Cottage Bakery there too. I also remember there were 3 Grand Central Markets (1 in Ridgeweay where my uncle worked as a manager), 1 on High Ridge Road and 1 on Bedford Street. I also remember Penn Drugs in Ridgeway with the old-fashioned lunch counter and Syl-Mays across the street that also had lunch counter. Summer Street was mostly homes and the same with Bedford Street and they were two-way streets. I also remember CT Music across the street from Police HQ's where I took clarinet lessons and also Bedford Records on Bedford Street where I bought my first records (Beatles White Album and Kiss Destroyer).

Stamford has changed
Yes to just about all above.

I grew up in the 1960's and 1970's in Stamford. Graduated Westhill 1979. I worked in the Gran Central Ridgeway during high school. My brother and I took lessons at CT Music. Either you went to CT Music or Chuck Dudley. Remember Chuck Dudley?

"Carry-Out on Summer Street next to Dairy Queen"
The Wedge In. My husband and I would get hotdogs and then get a Dairy Queen.

STAR CONFECTIONARY ICE CREAM!

Skipping school and going to Pound Ridge Reservation to smoke pot. Skipping school and going to Squantz Pond to swim and smoke pot lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut