Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:46 AM

12 posts, read 44,169 times

Advertisements

Greetings....We are thinking of renting a house for a week (through VBRO.COM) in Guilford. Can anyone tell me a little about the area, What to do, what to see etc.... Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 11:48 AM

200 posts, read 611,034 times
Where is the house exactly? Guilford or Stony Creek in Branford?

Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
I don't have any information beyond the fact that my husband and I went to Thimble Islands -- we took the boat tour -- and it was spectacular.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM

12 posts, read 44,169 times
the rental property says guilford Thimble islands

Old 04-09-2009, 07:54 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs.m View Post
the rental property says guilford Thimble islands
The thimble islands are part of Branford, CT in the Stony Creek Harbor - near Guilford. This area of CT is beautiful and if you have a boat, or can take a cruise (they offer tours) around the Thimbles, do it! They are amazing.

For great pizza and deli, check out P&M in Branford. Also don't forget to visit the USS Chowder Pot Restaurant.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,630,032 times
You can easily stay in Guilford and tour the Thimble Islands -- it's a 5-10-minute drive from southern Guilford to Stony Creek. If you're staying for a week, you're only going to need half a day to tour the Thimble Islands. The rest of the days, I would suggest the following (depending on season & weather):

1. Hike the Westwoods Trails of Guilford. See Lost Lake (it's the one just north of the railroad tracks and Route 146 near the Branford border).
2. DRIVE with the windows down the full length of Route 146 from the center of Branford to the top of the hill in at Boston St. and Boston Post Rd. in Guilford -- then keep going on Route 1 into the center of Madison (this is a 15-20 minute drive but it will give you ideas of places to stop and explore).
3. Check out Hammonassett State Beach in Madison, then go downtown to the center of Madison for dinner & a movie.
4. Check out the Henry Whitfield State Museum in Guilford -- it is a the oldest house in Connecticut and the oldest stone house in New England, dating to 1639.
5. If you like fresh-water beaches, fishing, or canoeing, check out Lake Quonnipaug on Route 77 in Guilford.
6. Go into New Haven and take a tour of Yale, then go see the Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, and Yale/Peabody Museum of Natural History.
7. If you're going to have pizza, do it at one of the best places: Wooster Street in New Haven (Frank Pepe's, Sally's), or Modern Apizza (State Street in New Haven), or if you're in Branford (I've never heard of P&M but they might be good) the pizza at Marco Pizzeria on Route 1 is very similar to Pepe's.
8. See a play or listen to music or do whatever (depending on the town schedule of events) or just play frisbee on the Guilford Green -- before or after checking out the surrounding shops.
9. There are plenty of unique places to eat in Guilford & Branford -- in Guilford, I would recommend the Stonehouse, The Place (fresh wood-roasted seafood and corn!), or Quattro's; in Branford, try Le Petit Cafe ($$$), Darbar India, or the Stony Creek Market. I know I'm missing many others here.
10. Spend the day strolling around Stony Creek and tour the Thimble Islands. Read a book on the beach or on a park bench. If you have kids, take them to the playground just across the street. Hike the trail between Stony Creek and Pine Orchard -- bring binoculars for bird-watching.

Old 04-11-2009, 03:21 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
You can easily stay in Guilford and tour the Thimble Islands -- it's a 5-10-minute drive from southern Guilford to Stony Creek. If you're staying for a week, you're only going to need half a day to tour the Thimble Islands. The rest of the days, I would suggest the following (depending on season & weather):

1. Hike the Westwoods Trails of Guilford. See Lost Lake (it's the one just north of the railroad tracks and Route 146 near the Branford border).
2. DRIVE with the windows down the full length of Route 146 from the center of Branford to the top of the hill in at Boston St. and Boston Post Rd. in Guilford -- then keep going on Route 1 into the center of Madison (this is a 15-20 minute drive but it will give you ideas of places to stop and explore).
3. Check out Hammonassett State Beach in Madison, then go downtown to the center of Madison for dinner & a movie.
4. Check out the Henry Whitfield State Museum in Guilford -- it is a the oldest house in Connecticut and the oldest stone house in New England, dating to 1639.
5. If you like fresh-water beaches, fishing, or canoeing, check out Lake Quonnipaug on Route 77 in Guilford.
6. Go into New Haven and take a tour of Yale, then go see the Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, and Yale/Peabody Museum of Natural History.
7. If you're going to have pizza, do it at one of the best places: Wooster Street in New Haven (Frank Pepe's, Sally's), or Modern Apizza (State Street in New Haven), or if you're in Branford (I've never heard of P&M but they might be good) the pizza at Marco Pizzeria on Route 1 is very similar to Pepe's.
8. See a play or listen to music or do whatever (depending on the town schedule of events) or just play frisbee on the Guilford Green -- before or after checking out the surrounding shops.
9. There are plenty of unique places to eat in Guilford & Branford -- in Guilford, I would recommend the Stonehouse, The Place (fresh wood-roasted seafood and corn!), or Quattro's; in Branford, try Le Petit Cafe ($$$), Darbar India, or the Stony Creek Market. I know I'm missing many others here.
10. Spend the day strolling around Stony Creek and tour the Thimble Islands. Read a book on the beach or on a park bench. If you have kids, take them to the playground just across the street. Hike the trail between Stony Creek and Pine Orchard -- bring binoculars for bird-watching.
Nice post! Some great suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut