Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 23,063 times

Advertisements

Thanks again all of you! We were up in the area last weekend. The relocation company we are dealing with sent out a real estate agent to give us an overview of the area. It wasn't good. We spend 2.5 hours driving up and down the very hilly roads of Candlewood Lake as he showed us the difference in property value between lake front and not. We got more information from the director of a preschool...and have seen some nice neighbourhoods thanks to her (Chimney Heights in Bethel for example).

WE need a new realtor, and we are have to choose someone with Coldwell Banker. If anyone knows of a good realtor with Coldwell Banker they can refer us to, that would be great. Just PM me.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,500 times
Default What did you decide?

I have a similar predicament to Canadian-in-Tristate. I need to commute to Ridgefield on a daily basis and I plan to relocate in the surrounding area. Ridgefield is too expensive so I am considering Danbury, New Fairfield, Brookfield and Bethel. I am afraid that the commute might be too long from New Fairfield and I have seen some nice houses in Danbury. Is there a particular part of Danbury that is similar to living in New Fairfield or Bethel? Also if we decide to live in New Fairfield will the morning commute into Ridgefield be traffic-ridden (I live in Queens, NY so it is hard for me to imagine the traffic being worse).

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
I'd try Newtown...

Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,432,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefiri View Post
I have a similar predicament to Canadian-in-Tristate. I need to commute to Ridgefield on a daily basis and I plan to relocate in the surrounding area. Ridgefield is too expensive so I am considering Danbury, New Fairfield, Brookfield and Bethel. I am afraid that the commute might be too long from New Fairfield and I have seen some nice houses in Danbury. Is there a particular part of Danbury that is similar to living in New Fairfield or Bethel? Also if we decide to live in New Fairfield will the morning commute into Ridgefield be traffic-ridden (I live in Queens, NY so it is hard for me to imagine the traffic being worse).
The commute into Ridgefield is fine from New Fairfield since you take the back roads through Danbury. There are some parts of Danbury that do feel like New Fairfield because of the 1+ acre zoning, such as the King Street, Aunt Hack, Middle River and Long Ridge area. There are also a lot of post war WWII neighborhoods on about 1/2 acre lots in Danbury with about 1800 square feet, typically found in the Great Plain, Stadley Rough, Hayestown & Shelter Rock vicinty. I would suggest driving around the area and seeing what areas you prefer and meeting up with a realtor to show you houses.

Good luck,

Jon

Old 09-30-2009, 07:56 PM

9 posts, read 18,196 times
WE just moved to New Milford a month ago, and we love it. It has a charming downtown, wonderful neighborhoods, the schools seem to be great, lots going on, great REC dept. and a thriving arts community. My Dh works in Mt Kisko, and drives about 60 minutes. We looked at houses in Brookfield,, and New Fairfield, but kept coming back to New Milford. The community itself was worth the extra drivng time.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM

6 posts, read 17,732 times
Default I am also from New Jersey and now in Newtown

Originally from Jersey shore in Monmouth County (Manasquan) and we love CT.

I would stongly suggest looking into Newtown as a place to live. I have 4 kids (10,5,2 and 1 years old) and we looked into many towns in Danbury area before deciding on Newtown. I love Ridgefield but with a need for 4-5 bedroom home, we got a much better deal in Newtown as Ridgefield is just too expensive. Didn't care much for Bethel- Brookfield is also nice but New Milford was too country and spread out with dirt roads.....but Newtown was perfect for us.

Newtown has a great school system, it is a terrific community, wonderful parks/recreation, easy access to all highways. At the price range you listed you can still find a lot of house/property in this economy now. 2-3 years ago, this town was like everywhere else.....way overpriced, but not so bad anymore!

Check out Main St for Halloween. My kids love the town atmosphere and wife appreciates not having to scour the neighborhoods going up and down driveways for trick-or treating.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Newtown is very nice, and often overlooked. Residents like that.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM

371 posts, read 1,567,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefiri View Post
Hi Zefiri,

I just wantedtorespond to you about the commute to Ridgefield from New Fairfield. I used to drive my son to Ridgefield every morning to preschool when we first moved here. He had to be there by 9am and I tell you I rarely hit any traffic. The occasional bus on Milltown Road...but that was because I used to drive through Brewster to get to Ridgefield because his school was right off exit 1 on 84. There are alot of ways to get to Ridgefield from NF & Danbury...its not a long commute at all. NF is a really nice town, close community and the schools, I can't say enough good things about them. Oh and alot of NY'ers here too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut