Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:49 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

I'll be in town for most of the next two weeks on a business trip. I'll be staying/working in the area around Trumbull/Main/State streets and the freeways (84 & 91)

I've heard mixed things on Hartford as far as safety and as I'll be travelling alone it's something that is always on my mind - however, going to school in Philadelphia I learned pretty quickly that one shouldn't always believe the hype as well as how you can play good block/bad block

I will not have a car

Are there any places in that area I should check out? Places to eat, drink, activities, movie theaters, etc?

Any places I should be careful that I do not wander into?

Also, how is the weather usually this time of year (into early may). I'm definitely bringing a jacket - should I go out and buy an umbrella as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:59 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Also, how is the weather usually this time of year (into early may). I'm definitely bringing a jacket - should I go out and buy an umbrella as well?
That's a tough one. April is known for showers. Today, it's rainy and in the mid-50s F (12 - 13º C); ditto for tomorrow. However, it's supposed to be in the low 80s F (upper 20s C) this weekend.

You'd be better off with the umbrella and light jacket than without.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:36 AM

6,342 posts, read 11,089,409 times
Visit the Old State House. Hot Tomatoes at Union Station used to have very good food and though I have not eaten there in years, I suspect it will still offer decent food at moderate prices.

Check out the following links for more ideas.

Hartford CT | Restaurants, Events, Hotels, Arts & Jobs

Hartford CT. Greater Hartford Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 04-21-2009, 12:02 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Two weeks!
I am reminded of the old W. C. Fields saying-- First Prize: A week in Philadelphia! Second Prize: Two weeks in Philadelphia!
I'd get a car for the weekend at least and get out to enjoy the beautiful Connecticut countryside. While in town, you might visit Mark Twain's house. You can also take a Farmington Avenue bus out to W. Hartford center where you'll find restaurants, movies, and street life in the evening--the kind of scene one wishes Hartford itself had but doesn't.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
There isnt a lot to do unfortunately, this may seem kind of crude but I would go to the Gold Club (it has strippers) I am also assuming that you are male.
You could take a cab there. It is only about 2 miles from downtown.

Is your company paying for meals and are you alone?

I would go to Cornerstone deli for lunch and Vivo's for dinner, which is in the Merriot hotel. Koji's and Feng right of main street by the Statehouse are good too they have a bare inside too.

You said you dont have a car

Old 04-21-2009, 11:39 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
You might take at least one trip over to the West End, which is relatively safe and can easily be reached via bus on Farmington Ave. If you like Ethiopian food, I'm a big fan of Abyssinian, a restaurant near Farmington & Evergreen. Further south, the Brazil Grill is also very good.

If you like the arts, the Wadsworth Atheneum is a must, and it's right downtown, as are the Hartford Symphony and other attractions at the Bushnell. You might also consider attending a concert or two at the Hartt School. Concerts there are generally inexpensive or free, and there should be a bus there from downtown.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:09 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Geez you'd think some of the posters on this forum have never been to the city and/or make it sound like we have a strip club and a hotel and office towers.

There is a lot to do around the downtown area, and it's safe, dont' worry. The problems are in the extended neighborhoods to the North and South, not downtown.

Here is a quick list of things to do/see...it's not exhaustive, just what's on the top of my head at 6am. lol Depending on your age and desires, some may fit some may not. Do some google searches on them and you'll get the feel. Have a great time while your here.

Check out the photo thread as well, my first post has a ton of Hartford's downtown and you'll even see some of the places mentioned below.

Stuff to See/Do:
Wadsworth Atheneum
The Old Statehouse
CT Historical Society Museum (Pretty large and lots to see)
The Bushnell
Hartford Stage
Visit the State Capital
Colonial Graveyard
Twain House
Harriet Stowe House
River Walk

Food:
Agave
Spris
Carbones
Masala
Dish
City Steam
Black Eye'd Sally's
Binn 228 wine and panini bar
Rosso Hartford
Hot Tomato's
Braza
Vito's by the park
Mortons
Tapas
Firebox
Mayor Mike's
Emperor At The Linden

Drink/Music:
500 Blake Street
Sully's Pub
The Half Door
City Steam/Brew Haha Comedy Club
On The Rocks
Black Eye's Sally's (Great Blues)
Pig's Eye Pub (Above Black Eyed Sally's)
Webster Theater
Room 960
Crush
Palace
Emperor At The Linden
Cloud 9 Lounge
NV Nightclub

Old 04-22-2009, 05:53 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Also Max Downtown is an excellent restaurant in City Place. Trumbull Kitchen is also very good. Jay

Old 04-22-2009, 07:24 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Interesting. As mentioned in another post, I also plan to head down to Hartford from Boston later this week. I am a geography buff so I will definitely look at neighborhoods and places but I am a history buff as well.

I found out the Hartford Public High School is the second oldest public secondary school in the nation (after Boston Latin, my alma mater) and has its own little museum. Does anyone know if that museum is open to the public? Does one have to pay to go in? I'm really curious to see the place as I am really into education history (fyi, other than Boston Latin, we also have Boston English which is the alma mater of J.P. Morgan who was born in Hartford).

Also, does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Boston to Hartford? I plan on going down Interstate 84's way.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Black Eyed Sally's is one of my favorite spots downtown. The crowd is decent, food is great, and the entertainment can be a lot of fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut