Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times

Advertisements

I hope your ex-wife realizes Bradley Airport is actually in Windsor Locks, CT NOT hartford. If she is living in Cheshire she will have at least a 45 minute commute to work everyday if not more.
Just info incase she was clocking a commute to Hartford, cause windsor locks is actually about 15 to 20 min past hartford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:29 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I hope your ex-wife realizes Bradley Airport is actually in Windsor Locks, CT NOT hartford. If she is living in Cheshire she will have at least a 45 minute commute to work everyday if not more.
Just info incase she was clocking a commute to Hartford, cause windsor locks is actually about 15 to 20 min past hartford.
She noted that to me... so she's actually telling the truth on that one point. I knew where the airport is located relative to Cheshire and knew it would be a bit of a haul.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I am still not so sure why you think Connecticut or Rhode Island is that much more expensive than Sacramento. From the information I am seeing, it is only slightly higher (2% to 4%). Also, the disparity between rich and poor is only a known issue because our cities are relatively small and our suburbs are independent towns. That is the difference. In the west your cities usually encompass your suburbs so the statistics are all combined. Here they are separated by individual town so they are more noticed, but if you drive through the Hartford region, it looks like any other major metropolitan area. Also note that the schools in Connecticut overall are considered to be the best in the country. Your kids should do well with them. I know that is not much comfort but if they are already not living in the same area as you, what differnece does it make if they are in GA or CT??? Jay

Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,236,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevelo View Post
She noted that to me... so she's actually telling the truth on that one point. I knew where the airport is located relative to Cheshire and knew it would be a bit of a haul.
...and, depending on the part of Cheshire where she would be residing, this commute might include the worst area of road congestion in the Hartford region: I-84 eastbound through West Hartford and Asylum Hill. Often a complete standstill.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 AM

5 posts, read 11,850 times
bluevelo,

couple questions:

1. Why don't the kids stay with you in California?

2. Who is more important your x wife and her jock/opposite of your kids or your kids?

3. Will you be able to get a job in CT?

4. What kind of relationship do you want to have with your kids?

5. Why do you let your x get to you still? ( I do the same thing, I'm just asking)

I dated a 32 year old divorced man who had four girls. I loved his kids, just couldn't stand his x-wife. I was told that when dating someone who is divorced that I had to understand that included having her around, at least until the girls were 18.

It's challenging. And while you don't like her choice in the jock, there's really nothing you can do . . . except focus on your two bright children. It seems like she likes to get underneath your skin, or that you let her - start taking control of your own energy and let her make her own mistakes. I understand it affects your kids' lives . . .

I'll ask again, is there any way that the kids can stay with you?

p.s. take a deep breath, it'll work out some way or another

Old 04-22-2009, 10:35 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Have you thought about "joint custody" ? Then the kids would be spending half of the time with you. Given the situation with a live in boyfriend, it seems the court would look upon that favorably. At least they could be with you during the summers.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:38 AM

771 posts, read 1,581,954 times
We have joint custody, she is the custodial parent - and I agreed to that since she has a huge family in Savannah which she is leaving behind for an internet relationship she's had for 4 years.

She's basically ignoring my input into the process. While I support going to better schools, her relationship and how it impacts the children is a MAJOR issue.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:58 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
unfortunately you are divorced and so you now have NO say over the kind of man she brings into her life, so long as he isn't a sex offender or abusive in anyway. That's just how divorce works.

I don't see why them moving from GA to CT bothers you so much. Either way YOU live in CA which is far from GA and CT. So to me it seems nothing much will change.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Calm down AND THINK ABOUT THIS! You are reacting to the fear your kids will get hurt in this new situation. Remember Fear is the Mind Killer! It sounds like you are emoting, not thinking. I still think you are more concerned with giving up control than with what happens to the kids. Look to your own issues. If nothing else think what would happen if your ex's relationship works out and they stay together forever. It does happen. I have been married to the same woman for 41 years.

BTW - a really skilled bureaucrat can finesse the Federal gov't into working anywhere. Rhode Island is really neat even if smaller then LA.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:08 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lee View Post
I've lived in Cheshire since 11/1991. It is not blue collar. We are often compared to Glastonbury and Madison with Glastonbury being a closer match:

Cheshire
http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...eshire2009.pdf

Glastonbury
http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...adison2009.pdf

Madison
http://www.cerc.com/TownProfiles/Cus...onbury2009.pdf
Thanks for posting this info. I don't live in Cheshire, but close enough so that some of the "bad press" it was getting on her bothered me. I normally take a drive through Cheshire a few times a week just to be in the country or see older homes, or be where it is quiet and the scenery is gorgeous. I am more towards the Cheshire/Southington line in Meriden and where I am here in Meriden, believe it or not is beautiful...we are near hubbard park. By the Way...Daffodil Fest this weekend coming and if you get the Record Journal the list of events this year is enormous...should be good! Thanks again for clearing this misconception up about Cheshire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut