Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM

5 posts, read 10,949 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 years old and moving to CT due to a job in fairfield county. I am wondering where I can find a safe place to live that won't break the bank, even though I know that is difficult in CT. I have read a lot about Danbury and know that it is a little on the pricey side, but was wondering if anyone had info on where a decent apartment could be found? Also, any suggestions on towns outside of Danbury? The lakes are a big plus .... Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:12 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
Hi-I moved to Danbury when I was 21 and in my 20's livined in a few places arounf the city. The hands down best place was the Crown Court apartments on Padanaram Rd. They are nicley maintained with a full time Superintendant and have a weight room and a pool. It's also in a very safe area. It's a hidden gem. Another surrounding town that has fairly affordable rentals is Bethel.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:02 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Which city is your job in?

Old 04-27-2009, 02:56 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspn16 View Post
I'm 22 years old and moving to CT due to a job in fairfield county. I am wondering where I can find a safe place to live that won't break the bank, even though I know that is difficult in CT. I have read a lot about Danbury and know that it is a little on the pricey side, but was wondering if anyone had info on where a decent apartment could be found? Also, any suggestions on towns outside of Danbury? The lakes are a big plus .... Thanks for your help.
It's important to know what town your job will be in, if you know. If you are looking at Fairfield County, "in general," I'd say Danbury is probably high on the list--but also look at Norwalk. Stamford would be a great bet, but it is pretty pricey. It all depends on your budget for housing, also.

Bridgeport would be the least expensive, but also the sketchiest/highest crime of any city/town in Fairfield County.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,632 times
Hey all, some very useful information being passed around here! I could potentially be moving up to the Norwalk area and was looking for some recommendations on apts (has to be in Norwalk). In my mid 20s so schools are not an issue, just a safe area with a nice night life, not breaking the bank, and not too far from metronorth (gf would be commuting to midtown). Any recommendations/info? Thanks!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:03 AM

418 posts, read 1,410,999 times
I suggest since the OP is 22 he or she considers sharing an apartment with someone in Stamford for most nightlife and easy commute to NYC and Fairfied county employers. This area is tough on starting salaries but location is important for quality of life when you're just starting out.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspn16 View Post
Unfortunately, all of Fairfield County is pricey. My husband was born and raised in Fairfield and his Mom still lives there. To give you an idean of how expensive...we have a 4 bedroom ranch, finished basement, two bathrooms (had 3 but we got rid of one), formal living room with marble fireplace, fireplace in the basement, laundry room and outside we have half an acre with an inground pool that is 20 X 40. We are in central Conn. Our home has been valued at $300,000. My Husband's Mom has a ranch that is older, has three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a tiny living room and the place needs some work for sure. Her home has been valued at $700,000!! It is all about location here in CT.

If I were you, I would contact a real estate agent and talk to them about what you are looking for. The only way you are going to get out of living in a pricey area is to live more centralized here in CT and commute, then of course you have the price of gasoline issue...talk to an agent.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:51 AM

25 posts, read 99,157 times
You can get a 1 bedroom apt in Norwalk for around $1100. Something in a new building (Main Street, Route 123) is probably $1500-1700. There are nice 2 bedroom apts around for 1500.00. You can even find a house to rent for about 2000. The Sono area has some really nice buildings (Ann Street) and lots of clubs and places to go. East Norwalk is a nice area too and near the water/beach. I wouldn't buy anything now with the market the way it is.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Which city is your job in?

Weston, CT

Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Thank you for your advice! I know CT is pricey .. so I think I will do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut