Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 07:38 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

North Haven is a very nice town with a lot of great neighborhoods. It would be hard to recommend one without more information on what you like and your price rnage. For information on the schools, use the links below. Jay

Strategic School Profiles by District

Strategic School Profiles by School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 AM

3 posts, read 12,914 times
I currently live and work in New Haven. I will be moving shortly. The town has way too many problems to ever justify living here, especially if you have a family. New Haven, and this is no exaggeration, is one of the most dangerous cities in the country. I can say that with some authority, as studying security is what I do for a living (and why I live here). The small downtown area is fairly safe with good restaurants - anything beyond that should be avoided. Just a caution; anywhere Yale Police or Yale Security patrol is pretty safe EXCEPT during the summertime when patrols are scaled back. But I digress...

If your job is in New Haven, then North Haven is a good bet. However, I prefer Branford, Guilford, and Wallingford. If you want the most house for the money, then Wallingford is the location for you. The commute is only about 15 minutes to New Haven and $400,000 will buy you a lot of house in a nice, rural area. Durham and Guilford are even more rural but also more expensive. There is plenty of shopping in Wallingford and if you want higher end products simply drive up to West Farms Mall in West Hartford.

Remember, CT is very small so even rural places still have basic shopping / entertainment within easy driving distance.

Avoid anything south of New Haven, prices go up and the quality of life goes down (unless you are very rich or really like industrial pollutants). Milford has nothing going for it other then a fairly bad mall and a lot of run down stores along route 1.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 PM

While there are parts of New Haven to avoid, there are many neighborhoods that are nice and very safe. The problems Carlojohn mention are no more than is found in any major city in the country. As for his comments on areas south of New Haven, again there are many nice places to live. It is not the polluted jungle that they portrait. Jay

Old 05-04-2009, 04:29 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlojohn90 View Post
Milford has nothing going for it other then a fairly bad mall and a lot of run down stores along route 1.
I've never been a big fan of Milford, but plenty of people seem to like it, a lot.
I'm not aware of where these run-down stores are located either, aside from a very small section of Devon at the Stratford border which i would describe as being old, not necessarily "run-down".

Old 05-05-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I've never been a big fan of Milford, but plenty of people seem to like it, a lot.
I'm not aware of where these run-down stores are located either, aside from a very small section of Devon at the Stratford border which i would describe as being old, not necessarily "run-down".
I agree. Just because it is not shiny new does not mean it is rundown. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut