Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

105 posts, read 355,308 times

Advertisements

JViello, I may have misread, but I'm sure some would get the impression I got.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:15 PM

185 posts, read 752,181 times
Home is where the heart is, imo. I love CT. - my bro lives there and it is a beautiful state. I agree with those that say go back home. I moved to GA 2 1/2 yrs ago and I don't feel like I belong here either. I'll be back home in NJ soon. Be happy....life is too short. Best to you.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:45 PM

75 posts, read 393,855 times
Default CT or NC?

Connecticut!

Old 04-04-2007, 04:57 PM

64 posts, read 345,949 times
Default NC to CT?

Can I ask, why did you pick that particular area of NC?
I own a home in coastal NC and yes, it's quiet when the tourists leave, but the locals are all friendly. Not having school age kids, I don't know about that.
We moved to CT from VA after being there 4 years. Prior to that, we were in Long Island. We agreed that you can't go home again, as so many changes on LI were not for the better.
Be careful about going anywhere now. You might get back, and it might not be as idyllic as you remember.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:36 AM

193 posts, read 243,587 times
Limbo,

To paraphrase the late humorist Lewis Grizzard "Delta Airlines is ready when you are."

Old 04-06-2007, 05:46 PM

449 posts, read 1,122,745 times
Limbo-I feel your pain too-Im originally from NY (been to Connecticut many times-love it) but have lived in florida for many yrs-just moved to NC with my son 8 mths ago-and wow it was culture shock for us The quality of life is much different here. The area where i lived in fl had a very northeren feel-because it was full of yankees-lol. I miss that! I absolutely can't stand my son's school here. The only benefit for me here as a single mom-is of course the lower cost of living. I think it may be too much of a compromise for us to stay here. We are definetly leaving-just have to figure out where we can have a better balance. Good Luck.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:49 PM

449 posts, read 1,122,745 times
So Limbo-I meant to say Connecticut. I love the Northeast.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:06 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,923,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal View Post
We are definetly leaving-just have to figure out where we can have a better balance. Good Luck.
I lived in FL for a good long time and know what you mean totally...I then made the mistake thinking half way back (NC) might be a good solution - BZZZT wrong answer, I would rather have been in FL! When and where I lived in FL it wasn't "full" of Yankees yet though but more than NC is to date.

Anyhow, as a side note if you are looking to relocate, take a peak at Eastern CT..."East of the River" as we say in the metro Hartford area. You might be surprised to find close to NC prices and a very very good quality of life.

Taxes are high, I can't deny that...but it's not a deal breaker either.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 PM

217 posts, read 887,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo View Post
My wife and I moved our entire family to Leland, NC two years ago. Leland is along the coast between Wilmington and Southport. We are having a VERY difficult time deciding on going back or staying in NC.

Both states have pros and cons.

CT (Cons) - high taxes, long winters and honestly we worked to pay our mortgage.

CT (Pros) - Our family lives in CT, higher paying jobs, people are better educated, and the quality of life is higher: parks, topography, musuems, fine dining, hay rides etc. etc. Basically, all the things that make New England, New England.

NC (Cons) - a lot of crime, lower standard of living, education, humid summers, alligators, snakes, bugs, rednecks (comparable to Stafford Speedway on race night) and tons of illegal immigrants. I'm not a person that ever distinguished between black and white, asian or hispanic until I moved here and honestly I feel like a minority. Plus, being a very conservative Yankee from the North doesn't seem to endear you to the locals.

NC (Pros) - Weather, beaches, low taxes and life is more affordable - giving us more time to spend with the kids.

THESE ARE MY OBSERVATIONS and not meant to anger anyone. I've lived in CT for 9 years and lived in NC for 2 years and am simply giving my impression of the differences between the two states. I have people living next door that love it here so I may simply be a malcontent.

I just want to do what is right for my kids and I'm not sure spending more time with them outweights the advantages that I feel CT has to offer. Down here we don't know a soul so we don't have to worry about impressions or what the kids are wearing. In CT it always seemed to matter how much you made, where you lived etc.

I own my own business and my wife works for PPD (largest company in the area) so income doesn't really factor into this decision for us. Also, the schools may be better in CT but our kids are all Honor Roll students and doing extremely well (that is because I have the time to spend on their education).

Ok, based on what I've written or based on your own experiences vote.

Would you go back to CT or stay in NC.

Thanks - any and all input is welcomed.
We are trying to make this tough desion too.Stay here or go to nc. We are also looking at KS and Ne

The pros to ct, the diversity, of people. My dh is from poland and we are still able to giv eourkids lot of polsih culture . Today when are dryer went the repair man was polish. Lots of things to do where I live for the kids, the town the schools the library run wonderful programs. lOts of mussems and other things to do. The schools are great, our famlies are pretty much near by.

The cons to ct housing is expensive. We jsut got notice from the town on fair market value of our home. It would be around 179k , on 912 suqare foot home. 179k would get us more home in nc. the winters can be long and cold too, it was only thirty eight today! taxes are high, on the dinky house I mentioned we pay over 3k in taxes every year.

Cons to Nc, well critters, (although we did have a fox visit us here too) hot summers. Not as many city services, still I think if I netowrk I can find thigs to keep us busy like at the "y" churches ect. Trying to make new friends and get to know people. ajusting to a new way of llife and culture.

The pros to nc saving alot of money on housing and taxes. That could mena a higher quality of life for our kids. Being at a distance form famliy makes us relay be our own famliy in a way.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:43 PM

217 posts, read 887,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Just food for thought - no one pisses off immigrants who migrated here legally more than the illegal ones who didn't care to go through the process.
not realy, my dh is a leagal imaigrant. He realy feels for the ileagels who work here for little money doing hard jobs. He understand how hard it is to leave everything you know to come here and make a beter life for you famliy. he came here when he was ateen and it was not easy coming here as leagel with famlily support here(his dads sisters) some peolple come here with none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut