Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM

19 posts, read 71,336 times

Advertisements

We'll be in New Haven this Sat. for a Dr.'s appt. Wondering if anyone can recommend a scenic walk downtown and an activity or two for little ones (ages 3 1/2 and 20 mos.). It can be as simple as a nice park/playground. Just want to make sure we'll be a in a relatively safe area. Oh, and we also want to pick up some of this pizza that NH is famous for! Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Peabody Museum is a good place to see. My kids love the dinosaur hall with lots of dino skeletons..

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM

220 posts, read 524,905 times
Definitely the Peabody for the kids! It's probably a 10-15 minute drive from there to Wooster Square for pizza at Pepe's or Sally's, depending on how much traffic there is. (Modern is also good and is a little closer, on State Street). I'd say both areas are pretty safe.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:26 PM

17 posts, read 76,419 times
Bassett park in Hamden is nice for small children but it will be raining so Peabody is great (dinosaurs, snakes, etc.) but also consider a visit to CT Children's Musuem right downtown New Haven at 22 Wall. It is small but so nice for younger children, lots of hands on stuff.
It is only open Friday and Saturday afternoons 12-5. It has a lovely room based on the book, Goodnight Moon.
www.childrensbuilding.org
The pizza places on Wooster are very famous but often busy. It is worth the drive to go down the street and also go by Wooster square (just off the Wooster street by one block on Chapel) now as the cherry blossums I believe are still blooming. Also walking around the New Haven Green and through Yale University campus which is right next to the Green is really nice. All these places are safe esp during the day. Although Modern Pizza is often voted number 1 in the area, there is a pizza place I go to that isnt that busy and might be good for kids if you are walking rather than driving. It is right on campus and a few blocks away from both the Peabody and Childrens musuem.
Wall Street Pizza & Restaurant‎
90 Wall St, New Haven, CT‎

Old 05-02-2009, 05:27 AM

19 posts, read 71,336 times
Thanks so much for the recs. I just hope the weather clears up so we can enjoy the day!!

Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I am not as familiar with New Haven as others here, but have gone there from time to time. But for pizza, my personal favorite (mentioned by an earlier poster but not elaborated on) is Pepe's, the supposed "first" pizza shop in the US (debated by a couple of restaurants in Manhattan's Little Italy). Very good, unique place, though they've "chained" the concept into other parts of CT in recent years (and ironically, they are supposed to be opening one of these near me in Yonkers, NY this summer).

Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I am not as familiar with New Haven as others here, but have gone there from time to time. But for pizza, my personal favorite (mentioned by an earlier poster but not elaborated on) is Pepe's, the supposed "first" pizza shop in the US (debated by a couple of restaurants in Manhattan's Little Italy). Very good, unique place, though they've "chained" the concept into other parts of CT in recent years (and ironically, they are supposed to be opening one of these near me in Yonkers, NY this summer).
Not "chained", more like recreated. Still family owned and everything right down to the coal oven has been reproduced like the original, to the point they used the original door in NH to cast the new pieces.

Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
I went to West Rock Park recently and it was pretty cute, and if you climb to the top you can clearly see the whole CBD. My tolerance for neighbourhoods is pretty high though, and many people on this forum tend to see it as slightly dodgy so I'm not too sure because everyone's tolerances are different.

~Cheers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut