Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 09:56 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by politricks View Post
The cities get bashed all the time on this forum and I can't make an observation about the double standards that exist in New Canaan?

Anyway, I met a girl from New Canaan at a bar in NYC a few months ago. I had to ask her if it was true that kids from New Canaan think kids from the town of Fairfield are "ghetto"??? She said that sadly it was true. I laughed my @## off. That is pathetic. What kind of skewed world view does a child get growing up in a town like New Canaan.....you don't have to face the consequences for breaking the law and if you met someone that isn't "ultra-rich" and just plain "rich" then they are "ghetto."

By the way, anybody hear that those two brothers from Greenwich just plead guilty to trafficking hundreds and hundreds of pounds of illegal drugs from Canada to Southern CT????
The problem is you are trying to prop up something that's very obviously broken as being "good" and taking something "good" and trying to say it's broken.

You have to look hard for the bad in the burbs, all you have to do is walk down the street in our cities and it's everywhere. The desparity is, shamefully obvious.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 AM

200 posts, read 611,034 times
Quote:
The cities get bashed all the time on this forum and I can't make an observation about the double standards that exist in New Canaan?

Anyway, I met a girl from New Canaan at a bar in NYC a few months ago. I had to ask her if it was true that kids from New Canaan think kids from the town of Fairfield are "ghetto"??? She said that sadly it was true. I laughed my @## off. That is pathetic. What kind of skewed world view does a child get growing up in a town like New Canaan.....you don't have to face the consequences for breaking the law and if you met someone that isn't "ultra-rich" and just plain "rich" then they are "ghetto."

By the way, anybody hear that those two brothers from Greenwich just plead guilty to trafficking hundreds and hundreds of pounds of illegal drugs from Canada to Southern CT????
OH NO, NOT MARIJUANA!

Seriously get a life. How can u compare drugs to shootings and cold blooded murder that occurs almost DAILY in CT cities? You need new priorities!!

Google Hartford Shootings and see how many results show up. Or Bridgeport, New Haven, Bronx, and so on.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:29 AM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Anyway, I met a girl from New Canaan at a bar in NYC a few months ago. I had to ask her if it was true that kids from New Canaan think kids from the town of Fairfield are "ghetto"???
ROFL!! Thank you for the laugh!

Yup, that would be a great conversation starter huh! I bet thats just like you say!

Some serious issues with you!

BTW - love the agenda!

Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 PM

73 posts, read 244,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcfamily View Post
ROFL!! Thank you for the laugh!

Yup, that would be a great conversation starter huh! I bet thats just like you say!

Some serious issues with you!

BTW - love the agenda!
She said she felt embarrased to say it but that it was true of most of her classmates. She went out of her way to let me know that she didn't feel that way.

I find it interesting that I've been attacked in this thread. You suburban people love to insult the city but you sure have thin skin when comes to what is going on in your own backyard. Can we all try to act like adults with different opinions?

I'm sure that what happens in New Canaan happens in many wealthy towns in CT. One reason I wouldn't trust crime stats from those places.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Hey! Who can guess who the next poster will be???

Let me see....

Hey, how bout them Yankees? How they doing this season? If you live in New Canaan, you must love em right? Booo Red Sox!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Wow! Some of you are being really unfair here to politricks. Granted I don't hang around the Connecticut forum very often as I become embroiled in enough politically-charged brou-ha-has on the Northern Virginia and Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forums, but if what he/she/it alleges is true about teenagers being permitted to break the law in New Canaan so that they can get "cut a break" as they apply to Ivy-league institutions, then that is indeed a reason to be aghast. One would assume that a prospective "stand-out" student would exercise better judgment than to brazenly disregard the law.

Once again I don't know why so many of you harbor such animosity for he/she/it, but politricks makes a valid point about a serious double-standard. I'm only 22, and I never would have DREAMED of consuming alcohol until I was 21.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Wow! Some of you are being really unfair here to politricks. Granted I don't hang around the Connecticut forum very often as I become embroiled in enough politically-charged brou-ha-has on the Northern Virginia and Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forums, but if what he/she/it alleges is true about teenagers being permitted to break the law in New Canaan so that they can get "cut a break" as they apply to Ivy-league institutions, then that is indeed a reason to be aghast. One would assume that a prospective "stand-out" student would exercise better judgment than to brazenly disregard the law.

Once again I don't know why so many of you harbor such animosity for he/she/it, but politricks makes a valid point about a serious double-standard. I'm only 22, and I never would have DREAMED of consuming alcohol until I was 21.
Because said person IMHO is a troll and has multiple user names and does nothing but bash those not poor and living in the ghetto.

Something like that.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:43 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post

Paul, this is a troll who has come up with at least 3 different usernames. Her only motivation is to malign the suburbs. Why? Who the hell knows? Or cares.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM

Great minds think alike. (Check the post times. lol ) At least no one will accuse me of being you. LOL

Old 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Great minds think alike. (Check the post times. lol ) At least no one will accuse me of being you. LOL
You're not seriously worrying about that petty crap, are you?

Aw jeez, i have to stop conversing with myself here. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut