Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone...just wanted to share an event coming up at the Essex Steam Train. There is a new and growing national show created by CPTV Kids (Same creators of Barney & Friends and Bob The Builder and more) called Lomax: The Hound of Music. For ages 7 and under.

They use the Essex Steam Train to film their shows and will be holding a live show on Sat & Sun, June 20-21, 2009.

Welcome to the Essex Steam Train (http://www.essexsteamtrain.com/lomax.html - broken link)

In their own words:
Developing Musical Intelligence

Using a research-based, highly successful curriculum developed by Dr. Feierabend, [Professor of Music and the Director of the Music Education Division at The Hartt School of the University of Hartford] the Melody Hounds program gives children (many of whom may have limited opportunities to explore music) a chance to develop musical intelligence at a time when they are neurologically primed for this kind of learning. Melody Hounds pulls children into a musical experience with fun and fantasy.

By musical intelligence, we mean the skills that help children become more tuneful, beatful, and artful. They become better able to hold tunes in their heads and repeat them; better able to feel and sustain a beat; and more receptive to the ideas and feelings expressed in music
Click Below to see what the show is all about.
Lomax | The Hound of Music
Welcome | Melody Hounds Music Classes

My son a year old now has been showing signs of being a music prodigy and he LOVES the show and sings and bebops with it all through. (No I'm not one of THOSE parents and am sure he'll suck at some things in life...this is a real gift he's showing and several music teachers etc have pointed it out too.)

I'm a life long musician as is my wife and I totally agree with this program. I'll be there myself and just wanted to share the event with anyone else who might be interested. It's things like this that make me really love this state in spite of the downsides.

YouTube - Lomax, The Hound of Music: Ain't No Bugs on Me!

P.S. I didn't put this in the "things to do section" because it's dated material.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 02:46 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,263 times
Dr. Feierabend is a widely acclaimed music educator indeed -- in that world, he's quite a major figure. I'm not familiar with this particular program, but anything with his imprimatur, or put together using his methods, is assuredly a safe bet.

Old 05-11-2009, 09:49 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
While I can't say for sure whether CPTV created Barney (though I somehow doubt it), they did not create Bob the Builder. Bob is actually a British show and the Americanized version was actually on Nickelodeon for many years before it moved to PBS.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:21 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
I've seen it and so has my 5 year old. He is wonderful at music but it doesn't seem to catch his attention. My 2 year old has not seen it though.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:27 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
Dr. Feierabend is a widely acclaimed music educator indeed -- in that world, he's quite a major figure. I'm not familiar with this particular program, but anything with his imprimatur, or put together using his methods, is assuredly a safe bet.
Agreed totally. As I said, being a lifelong musician myself, I can see the fundementals of music being presented in a way that the kids IMO will pick up on naturally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
While I can't say for sure whether CPTV created Barney (though I somehow doubt it), they did not create Bob the Builder. Bob is actually a British show and the Americanized version was actually on Nickelodeon for many years before it moved to PBS.
I can appreciate your skepticism, it took me a minute and made me say "really?" but I didn't just make it up. I did miss that some of the shows listed have been "discoverd" and presented by CPTV. (I'll assume refined and polished as well.) CPTV apparently is a "kid show" machine. These are the direct quotes from their websites:
Produced by Sirius Thinking, Ltd. (BETWEEN THE LIONS) and presented by Connecticut Public Television (BARNEY & FRIENDS),
PBS TV Series | Melody Hounds Music Classes
Produced by Sirius Thinking, Ltd. the producers of Between The Lions and presented by Connecticut Public Television, the originators of Barney and Friends
Lomax: The Hound of Music | Connecticut Public Broadcasting Network
CPTV is a leader in the realm of children’s programming on public television. During the past year, we produced and/or distributed 7 different national children’s series: Barney & Friends, Bob the Builder, Thomas & Friends, Angelina Ballerina, Wishbone, The Saddle Club, and SeeMore’s Playhouse – more than any other public television station in the country! Plus, we have more coming, so stay tuned!
CPTV - Public Broadcasting for Connecticut | Parents (http://www.cptv.org/parents/index.asp - broken link)

Lomax is the latest, and is indeed based on the Essex Steam Train with local CT talent, producers and professors pitching in.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
If you want to see an educational Gem on Sunday mornings at 6:30 on PBS is The Big Green Rabbit. It's an incredible SHOW!!
Big Green Rabbit YouEAL can even watch an episode online.
I wrote to them and they sent my son all sorts of neat things along with a music CD from the show to thank him for watching. They have a Great episode on Dinosaurs.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 AM

172 posts, read 577,786 times
my kids love lomax. thanks for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: