Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM

438 posts, read 1,197,140 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure (if I understand Tetto correctly) that the matter is still pending. I don't know if the cops need his friend to press criminal charges, or if they can do it on their own; obviously she'll need to take action if she wants to seek civil ($$$) damages.

This is the way it's supposed to happen, incidentally: press charges first, then (depending on the outcome) deportation. You can't really put someone on trial after deporting them, right? Certainly committing a felony should be grounds for deportation, though apparently that's not the case in some cities, which goes too far IMHO if so.

Does anyone have any firm documentation on Willimantic's alleged status as a sanctuary city? I can't find anything online, though I did find an interesting Courant article from 2006.

Last edited by goldenband; 05-13-2009 at 04:14 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM

132 posts, read 331,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
But no one has yet demonstrated how an illegal immigrant (presumably poor and Latino) is any less accountable than a U.S. citizen who's equally broke, irresponsible, and uninsured. If the sole argument is that they can slip back into their own country, isn't that equally true of any foreign national on our soil, illegal or not?

If someone's making the argument that we shouldn't encourage more people who are broke to come here, I can see your point, though OTOH you might want to let the Statue of Liberty know about that: "Give me your tired, your poor / Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free / The wretched refuse of your teeming shore"...
The problem is the lack of accountability we Americans are experiencing with illegal immigrants. How is one able to collect punitive damages if the illegal has faced deportation? The appropriate term here is ''undocumented''.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Er, I'm not sure how your post answers my question...?

EDIT: OK, you edited your post. Again, I'm not sure how that differs from a legal immigrant -- they can all just get out of Dodge if they don't want to deal with a civil trial, no? I agree that it's likely to be trickier with an undocumented immigrant.

Last edited by goldenband; 05-13-2009 at 04:25 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Er, I'm not sure how your post answers my question...?
I prematurely selected send.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM

205 posts, read 589,151 times
There are many drunk drivers in this country who kill and maim people everyday. However, when someone from another country, who has every right to be here according to the constitution, commits the same accident everyone is out to call them names and question their right to be here.
Everyone's ancestors came from somewhere else....unless you are a Native American.
Drunk driving is wrong whether you are an immigrant or not. Period.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvetta View Post
There are many drunk drivers in this country who kill and maim people everyday. However, when someone from another country, who has every right to be here according to the constitution, commits the same accident everyone is out to call them names and question their right to be here.
Everyone's ancestors came from somewhere else....unless you are a Native American.
Drunk driving is wrong whether you are an immigrant or not. Period.
What you seem to misunderstand is the new age immigrants illegally reside here. Your ancestors were documented.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:31 PM

I think that may be a hasty assumption! I'm a descendant of immigrants, and some of mine definitely were documented, but I can't speak for all of them, and I'm surely not alone in that: a cursory glance through my girlfriend's family history revealed some possible irregularities.

Also, I have to believe that there were some undocumented folks amongst the massive waves of Irish and Chinese immigration in the late 19th century. It would be worthwhile for folks to read some of what written on the topic (especially the Chinese) back then, which bears a surprising resemblance to much of what's written now.

And then, of course, there was all the squatting done by white European-Americans on Native American land in the 19th century. Illegal as heck, but history is written by the victors. I think my Native American ancestors might laugh ruefully if one were to describe the current situation to them.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
I think that may be a hasty assumption! I'm a descendant of immigrants, and some of mine definitely were documented, but I can't speak for all of them, and I'm surely not alone in that: a cursory glance through my girlfriend's family history revealed some possible irregularities.

Also, I have to believe that there were some undocumented folks amongst the massive waves of Irish and Chinese immigration in the late 19th century. It would be worthwhile for folks to read some of what written on the topic (especially the Chinese) back then, which bears a surprising resemblance to much of what's written now.

And then, of course, there was all the squatting done by white European-Americans on Native American land in the 19th century. Illegal as heck, but history is written by the victors. I think my Native American ancestors might laugh ruefully if one were to describe the current situation to them.
First bold line: "Possible irregularities" as opposed to millions of undocumented illegals in our cities, using our health care at yours and my expense, in addition to our education? How can you even compare?

Second bold line: You "have to believe" or you actually know?

Third bold line: Sure, squatting was done long ago. With that said, our society was not the way it is today. These squatters, if you research a bit, planted their own food and were self sufficient. Need I say more?

Furthermore, if this was done in the past, how in the heck is it "acceptable" for it to be done now? You admitted yourself squatting was illegal, but tolerated years ago. Why should we continue to tolerate this, thus repeating history?

Some of these ultra liberal opinions scare the crap out of me.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:48 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,922,696 times
Goldenband,

You do a fine job of pointing out the past, however, the people (and not just Mexicans) are dying to cross our borders any way they can. This HAS to be stopped. It's a juggernaut that is so out of control, as kidyankee pointed out, it is ruining towns across America. These people and by that I mean ALL illegals, need to be deported and right away. The original point I was trying to make is that the Mexican problem is so pervasive, and literally they can and do get away with virtually any kind of psychotic, anti-social or criminal behavior. Ever call somewhere and hear "press one for English, press one for Espanol"? WTF is that? Why dont you try defending America once and awhile instead of tearing her down. We really aren't that bad, despite what you think. It's my belief that as a country we're the most giving and helpful people if you are our friend, Mexico is a friend, but we have our limits...

Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Kidyankee764, did you read the Courant article I linked? There's a fair bit of research saying that illegals pay a great deal into the tax system on which they never collect. I'm not saying it's a 1:1 ratio, but it's more complicated than just "they take and don't pay".

Also, I see no reason why I can't bring up the possibility that I, or my loved ones, might be descended from illegal immigrants, i.e. the same people you called dirty, criminal, and whatever else. Again, let me suggest that you read some newspaper articles from the latter half of the 19th century -- generally speaking, they talk about the Chinese EXACTLY the way you do about the Mexicans, and with a similar tone of disgust and hysteria.

I'm wryly amused at the idea that I'm "ultra liberal". Let me remind you of the Statue of Liberty, or if not that, then a quote from that renowned ultra-liberal, Pope John Paul II:

"Today the illegal migrant comes before us like that 'stranger' in whom Jesus asks to be recognized. To welcome him and to show him solidarity is a duty of hospitality and fidelity to Christian identity itself."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut