Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:32 AM

30 posts, read 122,525 times

Advertisements

Hi I live in Norwalk CT with my husband and two daughters ages 14 and 12 and we are looking to move to Roanoke VA? I know that the weather is nicer in VA then in CT, that is one of the reasons for wanting to move but we are just tired of the same old things here.

I don't know if anyone has gone through the same feeling of just needing a change?

I would love to know where you moved to, and how the move went and if you were happy with your decision.

Thanks for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Just make sure your kids are on board. My parents moving me in my teens affected me quite a bit.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:13 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Norwalk and Roanoke? That's quite the change. Are you look for a change or a paradigm shift? Roanoke is kind of southern + Appalachian. Schools aren't nearly as good... Culturally not much going on. Seems like a pretty poor thing to do to teenage children.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:24 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Moved to South Florida and before I went I hated florida but after I lived there I love it now and can't wait to move back.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:34 PM

438 posts, read 1,196,670 times
As another poster said, make sure the kids are on board and really want to move. If they're unhappy in CT that's one thing, but everyone deserves to have a real hometown, and real continuity with their childhood, if they want it. My parents moved to a different state hundreds of miles away right after I graduated high school, and while that was bad enough (in terms of losing touch with childhood friends, feeling rootless, etc.), it would've been even worse if they'd done so while I was still in school.

Old 05-11-2009, 02:04 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
You might try posting htis on the Virginia Board. Jay

Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Norwalk and Roanoke? That's quite the change. Are you look for a change or a paradigm shift? Roanoke is kind of southern + Appalachian. Schools aren't nearly as good... Culturally not much going on. Seems like a pretty poor thing to do to teenage children.
Actually, we moved from the suburban NYC area down to the Roanoke area in '07. The schools are great here...great teachers that actually care. And that is compared to some supposedly "good" schools up north. Crime here is negligible. There are clean parks, trails, and wilderness all over the place. We have 4 real seasons. Folks are generally waaaaaaay nicer here than where we moved from. If by "Appalachian" you mean proximity to the Appalachian Trail, you are correct. If you are implying some sort of "backwoods-rednecks-from-the-holler"...absolutely not. And Roanoke is such a mix of cultures that Southern accents aren't even the norm here.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
I guess it depends on what you value and your perspective. I find plenty of caring teachers in the Northeast. There are caring teachers everywhere. Seems you are eager to slap the teachers in the face in the NYC area. Schools are more competitive in the Northeast. How many CT schools made the US News And World Report's Top 25? How many from Roanoke?

Regarding seasons... Funny.. Four true season are something that people commonly associate with the Northeast.

I am glad you find the people nice. I find I prefer depth of friendships and relationships to fake smiles, greetings and inquiries about what church I attend.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:43 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,658,382 times
I'm not "eager"...I'm just saying that we've had some good school and teacher experiences here. Four seasons...cold from sometime in Oct until sometime in April. Snow can be anywhere from a couple inches a season to a couple of feet. Most folks don't move here for the snow though . Everything blooms into a virtual jungle in Spring. Summer gets hot and (typically East-Coast) humid. However...Roanoke is in-land, surrounded by mountains, and has an almost constant breeze blowing. Fall is awesome...temp ranges from warm to crisp, tons of color, etc.
As far as people go, I've met some of the best friends of my life here. I feel people are generally genuine, and I don't think I've ever been asked what church I attend.

Last edited by j1n; 05-11-2009 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 06:34 PM

80 posts, read 322,628 times
Default Potential move to Roanoke

I live in CT, travel throughout the south, and know a little about the area in and around Roanoke; my son is a sophomore at Washington & Lee University in Lexington, less than an hour up I-81. First, the mountains are breathtaking without being breath taking (a serious little joke that). Roanoke is not as backwater as some may think, and I too have heard what other posters have noted, that the schools are quite good. Side note: My daughter (junior in high school) has Roanoke College on her list. If you have not read it, you should get a few back issues of The Roanoker (do a Google search and you will land on their site); it will give you a good idea of cultural activities and other information. I have not had a meal in Roanoke, but there is a nice roster of restaurants. The weather is certainly better than in CT but you will get some snow, obviously; it is the mountains, after all. But in terms of pace of life, and cost of living, things will improve significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut