Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 09:19 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times

Advertisements

My husband has never been there and it's been years for me. We were going to try to go tomorrow for the day before the weekend starts.

I remember taking a ferry years ago, but I looked online and I only found one ferry where you park your car on it and it costs like $50 one way.
Is that the only way to get there short of driving across Long Island?

Also, once you get there, are there plenty of places to park your car?

Also, it says the ferry takes you to Shelter Island and it looks like there are two connecting ferrys in order to get to the Hamptons. Do you have to pay more money for these other ferries? Is there a ferry that goes straight to the Hamptons?

Sorry for the stupid questions but it's been like 15 years since I've been there and my parents did the driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:02 AM

468 posts, read 523,790 times
You're describing taking the Cross-sound ferry from New London to Orient Point, which is on the North Fork of Long Island. From there you drive about 10 miles to Greenport, take a ferry to Shelter Island, drive across Shelter Island, take another Ferry to the South Fork of LI, and then drive to the Hamptons. Each of the Shelter Island Ferries is probably ~$15 for a car and passenger, and the round trip fare out of New London is about $100.

There's a website that describes it all.

Ferry Services to East Hampton (http://www.easthampton.com/other/ferrys2.html - broken link)

I am not aware of a ferry direct to the Hamptons, although there is a ferry (no cars, apparently) from Block Island to East Hampton.

The multi-ferry route will probably take you three hours or more. On the other hand, if you treat it as an adventure, it's kind of fun.

Driving down to the closest bridge to LI and then out the LIE would be cheaper, for sure, and actually might not take all that much longer. But it would just be another drive.

Adam

Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM

200 posts, read 610,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
My husband has never been there and it's been years for me. We were going to try to go tomorrow for the day before the weekend starts.

I remember taking a ferry years ago, but I looked online and I only found one ferry where you park your car on it and it costs like $50 one way.
Is that the only way to get there short of driving across Long Island?

Also, once you get there, are there plenty of places to park your car?

Also, it says the ferry takes you to Shelter Island and it looks like there are two connecting ferrys in order to get to the Hamptons. Do you have to pay more money for these other ferries? Is there a ferry that goes straight to the Hamptons?

Sorry for the stupid questions but it's been like 15 years since I've been there and my parents did the driving.
I have friend in Sag Harbor who comes to visit. She takes the Port Jefferson Ferry because it saves time, or drive around if it is not during the rush hours. New London to Orient makes you back track or take more ferries which means more money.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
We had a neighbor that used to take the Bridgeport ferry to Port Jefferson, LI. Once across they then drove to the Hamptons. I'm not sure how long a drive it was for them.

Editing to say I just found this regarding ferries to LI from Ct.:

http://www.hamptonstravelguide.com/T...ortation.shtml

Old 05-20-2009, 12:00 PM

392 posts, read 1,539,257 times
helicopter

Old 05-20-2009, 02:09 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ987654 View Post
helicopter
I was going to suggest swimming. Jay

Old 05-20-2009, 08:12 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Drive around. Don't take the NL - Orient Point ferry because you'd have to travel southwest on the north fork to connect eastward on the south fork. Thursday and Friday traffic on 27 is a nightmare from all of the celebs and socialites leaving Manhattan. If you are going to drive (which I strongly suggest over the New London ferry), then definitely go when traffic is less - away from rush hour. You can take the Bridgeport - Port Jeff ferry but it would take the same amount of time to drive around (maybe longer because of loading and unloading) so it all depends on what you prefer.

What part of the Hamptons are you visiting? I went there in October and spent some time on Shelter Island, visited Main Beach in East Hampton and went apple picking in Southampton. Fall is a beautiful time of year to visit. That area is very New Englandy with a trendy flair.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:39 PM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
Well it doesn't look like we are going after all. We are probably just going to wait until after Labor day when it's not so crowded.
Overall it seems like a huge pain to get there. It's so close yet so far away. I don't want to have to pay for several ferries. I think when we do go, we'll just drive.
For some reason, I thought there was one ferry that took you straight to the Hamptons. I have to ask my parents what we did when I went years ago.
Thanks anyway guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut