Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,972 times

Advertisements

where should a couple live with one working in NYC and one working in New Haven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,721,691 times
Well,. . . .a lot of that depends on what your budget is and how far a commute you're willing to tolerate. NYC from New haven is about a 1hr 45 minute train ride, and I assume that's a bit of a stretch for you. If you don't want something too expensive, you might want to consider either Milford (which is about two towns west of NH) or Stratford (just west of Milford). Trumbull might also be an option - all of these are decent, middle-class towns.

Anything west of the city of Bridgeport is REALLY expensive - it would be a shorter train ride but you might have a hard time finding a house within your price range. Even a starter house (like a cape or a split level) can go for $500k over there. It's that bad. Renting here can burn a hole through your wallet, too. Fairfield might be a viable option - it's about a 1hr 15 minute train ride in to the city, and NH is only about 30 minutes away. Houses here are a little bit cheaper than most other towns in Fairfield County, since it's further from the city, but it's still expensive. You will see what I mean if you look online for houses in town. You do have some condos available as well, if that suits your needs.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley1234 View Post
where should a couple live with one working in NYC and one working in New Haven?
If one of you are working in New Haven and one of you in New York, the one who is working in New York can take a train into the city so I would suggest living anywhere where there is a train station. Most folks who do work in NYC do take a commuter train into the city, just makes more sense. Look in Fairfield County which extends from Stamford into Stratford. Check your work times...what time you get into work, what time you leave to come home and compare that to the train schedules into New York and back out. Lots of things to consider beyone just picking a town to live in.

If it was me, I would probably choose West Haven...New Haven isn't all that great to live in...kind of run down and lots of crime. Therei s also a neat little town not too far from that area calledl Woodbridge..not sure where the train station is but then again you could always ride into New Haven with your husband/wife and catch a train to NYC from there. Lots of options with the commuter train being available.

Good luck with your search!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:41 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
I would go with Fairfield if you can. I have a nephew who lives there and it is as close as you'll reasonably get to the City in terms of affordable housing while still having a reasonable commute to New Haven. It will be a little cheaper in Statford or Milford, but your train commute to the City starts to get really ominous. Except for housing costs (or issues like kids and having one spouse be near schools/day care), I don't think you should be right near New Haven as you should fairly "share" the commuting load.

Trumbull would work except the train commute will be bad, either you go on the Waterbury branch and switch trains or you drive down to Bridgeport or somewhere closer to NYC and often parking at Metro North stations is mostly doled out in permits that residents of the given station's town have priority.

Regarding CT Pam's post just before mine, Woodbridge being north of the train line doesn't have a train station, you'd have to drive to Milford (or New Haven, but that would be just lengthening your commute.....and see above about parking at train stations not at your town). Same with West Haven because even though the tracks go through there, no station between Milford and New Haven. I think Bridgeport you can somewhat cheaply (and safely) park in without living in the city itself (see this forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/conne...h-parking.html)

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 05-21-2009 at 05:54 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 07:12 AM

588 posts, read 1,872,318 times
Quote:
It all depends on your budget and what you want in the town (shops, walkability, schools, town-sponsored events, etc.). The major train towns along the shore line range from expensive to insane in pricing.

Also, a very important factor is the NYC-commuter's tolerance for time getting to and from work. For the one in New Haven, if that person can drive then any of the towns along 95 or the merritt (between New Haven and Greenwich) would be fine. The morning commute heading North (really NE ) is usually pretty painless and not badly filled with cars. It's the other direction (towards NYC) that's a nightmare after 6:15 AM.

I use Metro North from Fairfield to NYC, and then take the subway a little bit. Including time getting to the train (less than 10 min drive), taking the train to Grand Central (65-70 mins on the good express one's), taking the subway 3 stops, then walking a couple of blocks, its about 1h45m.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:08 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Like others have noted, this depends on how far you want to be; how much you want to spend; and what type of community (large or small) you want to live in. Stamford would be a bit closer to New york (45 minutes) and further from New Haven (65 minutes). South Norwalk may be a little closer (under an hour each way). Fairfield is a great town too. Jay

Old 05-21-2009, 05:09 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
As close to NY as your budget will permit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut