Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2015, 04:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Let my try to help you figure this out: of the cities that are both hot and top-10 humid, Texas has one and Florida has three. It's like a Venn diagram.
Let me help you figure this out. Relative humidity is irrelevant. You're also using year round stats....irrelevant to summer.

Here's one with dewpoint

Texas is MUCH hotter than anywhere in Florida. You have to take the temperature and the humidity and then you come up with a heat index. Once you come up with a heat index(which is basically combining the temp and humidity to come up with a real feel temperature) Dallas is WAY hotter than ANYWHERE in Florida during the summer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USATODAY.com - Answers: Is Florida or Texas more humid

"To see what's wrong with relative humidity, let's go to Barrow, Alaska, on an average January day when the temperature dips to -19 and the dew point is -20, the relative humidity is going to be 94.96%. You might be wishing you had another parka to put on, but the 94.96% relative humidity is not going to make you feel sticky."

"It's hard to imagine anyone being able to notice the difference between a 71-degree and a 75-degree dewpoint day without weather measurements."
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Average dewpoint in Houston in July is 72, which is right up there with florida.Dallas is VERY HUMID. Florida is slightly more humid, but Dallas texas is WAY hotter. So therefore Dallas is hotter than anywhere in Florida. The average high in Dallas is 96(vs upper 80s to 92 in most of florida) and it can get unbearable heat waves where it gets above 100. Florida rarely gets this hot. Miami has hit 100 once in the past 100 years. And all of this is happening with a very high dewpoint. Dallas record high is 112 degrees. Dallas averages 30 days above 100....miami = 0 days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Dallas

Explaining the difference between relatvie humidity and dewpoint
Seattle really one of the most humid cities in the U.S.? You bet! | Weather Blog | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Last edited by mikelizard860; 04-01-2015 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2015, 05:34 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Let me help you figure this out.
Nice try, but let's refine the data with head to head comparisons.

Some data from Hot, Humid Weather: How US Cities Compare - Current Results

The first number is how many days from the decade 1998-2007 the Temperature-Humidity index exceeded 95 degrees. The second number is how many of those days were due to humidity, not the temperature. Miami and Tampa are the champions of both discomfort AND humidity. All four are hot.

Tampa being on top didn't surprise me; I've spent time there and it was miserable. But I thought Miami would score better; maybe it's just the tropical breezes in the southern part of Florida that help.
  • Tampa 3129 3058
  • Miami 3098 3037
  • Houston 2917 2416
  • Dallas 2467 857

Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
Nice try, but let's refine the data with head to head comparisons.

Some data from Hot, Humid Weather: How US Cities Compare - Current Results

The first number is how many days from the decade 1998-2007 the Temperature-Humidity index exceeded 95 degrees. The second number is how many of those days were due to humidity, not the temperature. Miami and Tampa are the champions of both discomfort AND humidity. All four are hot.

Tampa being on top didn't surprise me; I've spent time there and it was miserable. But I thought Miami would score better; maybe it's just the tropical breezes in the southern part of Florida that help.
  • Tampa 3129 3058
  • Miami 3098 3037
  • Houston 2917 2416
  • Dallas 2467 857
Nice try That total includes months OUTSIDE of summer.(florida is much hotter in sept/oct/may/april) It gets above 95 heat index routinely in Florida in fall/spring. For extreme heat/humidity in summer TEXAS is KING! The data below I listed from your own link proves that.

On top of it from your own link you just provided:

TEXAS CLEARLY HAS MORE EXTREME SUMMER HEAT!

Days over 105+
Dallas 352
Houston 460
Miami 72
Tampa 204

Days over 115+

Houston 11
Dallas 4
Miami 0
Tampa 3

NO COMPETITION!

Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 PM

Also, interesting to note how horribly hot phoenix is.

Days above 105(feel like)

Desert southwest is way hotter than Florida even though there's no humidity. 110 degrees and sun is brutal even with no humidity. They don't call parts of desert sw death valley for nothing.

People in CT complain about our heat, but it's NOTHING compared to these places.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:37 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Reason why Texas is hotter than Florida is mostly because Florida is a peninsula surrounded by water.

When Texas gets that SW or S flow from Mexico, Texas is on fire. But it all depends how the upper level flow is setup for the day. Sometimes Florida is hotter but here's a look at the extreme temps for August and September. Obviously Texas wins. Florida's "temps" never been above 100 in September.

HOWEVER, that's not to ignore the insane real feel temp with the insane dewpoints in Florida.. It's felt like above 100° many times. I'd rather have Texas weather than Florida anyday because Texas is a bit drier on average.. Florida is disgusting.... and boring I might add.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

HOWEVER, that's not to ignore the insane real feel temp with the insane dewpoints in Florida.. It's felt like above 100° many times. I'd rather have Texas weather than Florida anyday because Texas is a bit drier on average.. Florida is disgusting.... and boring I might add.
Cam did you look at the stats I posted? Texas has more extreme days of heat/humidity than florida.

Houston is every bit as humid as almost all of Florida. In some cases more humid. Look at the dewpoints. Dallas, while slightly less humid is still really humid. Look at the stats I posted showing days over 105 feel like when you combine humidity and temp. Any dewpoint over 70 is going to feel brutally muggy when combined with a temperature in the high 90s. The heat index will be over 100 and that's routine in texas.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Cam did you look at the stats I posted? Texas has more extreme days of heat/humidity than florida.

Houston is every bit as humid as almost all of Florida. In some cases more humid. Look at the dewpoints. Dallas, while slightly less humid is still really humid. Look at the stats I posted showing days over 105 feel like when you combine humidity and temp. Any dewpoint over 70 is going to feel brutally muggy when combined with a temperature in the high 90s. The heat index will be over 100 and that's routine in texas.
I believe we are agreeing with each other but using different parameters. Apparent temp and Mugginess are different.

I'm not familiar with that site so not sure where they get the info from and I'm not aware of NWS or NCDC officially keeping track of apparent temps so not sure how they came about that.

BUT.. I wonder if Texas real feel has hotter moments because Florida's actual temps aren't as hot.

Meaning.. 80s in Florida with higher dewpoints than Texas is cooler than Texas higher temps and lower dewpoints. Making Texas having hotter apparent temps.

So essentially "feeling" a bit drier on average in Texas but hotter.

Texas is huge so hard to compare to CT or Florida.

Here's the mean dewpoints for July. While some areas of Texas get very muggy, Florida takes the win.

Texas is hotter...but not as muggy. Coastal CT & Valley same as central Texas.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

So essentially "feeling" a bit drier on average in Texas but hotter.

Texas is huge so hard to compare to CT or Florida.

Here's the mean dewpoints for July. While some areas of Texas get very muggy, Florida takes the win.

Texas is hotter...but not as muggy. Coastal CT & Valley same as central Texas.
Great picture.... Yes, agreed big difference between western and eastern texas when it comes to humidity. Dallas/houston are very humid. It's dry in the west, but almost all the big population centers are in the east

Houston is every bit as humid as much of Florida as can be seen in the picture you posted! So just imagine that with MUCH hotter temps over florida.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:57 AM

678 posts, read 847,199 times
Cam, could you possibly share a picture or link me to the sources of mugginess for Australia? I'm curious how the coastal areas such as Melbourne and Sydney compare to that of Florida and Texas in the United States.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Houston is every bit as humid as much of Florida as can be seen in the picture you posted! So just imagine that with MUCH hotter temps over florida.
Good point for those areas of Texas but still seems like coverage is more in Florida on average.

I'm sure we can find days like today where its muggier there than Florida. Check out the 70 dewpoints in Texas vs 60s in Florida. Just the way the flow is today. Could change this weekend.

Mesonet | Dewpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Cam, could you possibly share a picture or link me to the sources of mugginess for Australia? I'm curious how the coastal areas such as Melbourne and Sydney compare to that of Florida and Texas in the United States.
Sorry, just U.S and it's from a paid program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut