Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2016, 08:33 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
True, but with wages being higher does that make it relative? I was figuring in for higher wages on average (with CT having a higher education rate).

But you are right about the actual housing costs if one was only to look at that.
It's far more than just housing. It's taxes, utilities, groceries, pretty much everything.

Check out bank rate's cost of living calculator, which is pretty accurate. I quickly typed in a New Havem/Tampa COL comparison, since NH is about average for CT. In most cases, including housing, CT was double the cost of FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2016, 08:39 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
I don't know. Things are more expensive in CT, sure. Payrate is massively different though.

For me personally.

Clearwater, FL - Rent = $775 (1br apartment)
Utilities - Average was about $150
My average wage in the same line of work - $13/hr

Naugatuck, CT - Rent = $1,000 (2br full basement)
Utilities - Average about $150
Average wage here same line of work - $22/hr

My car is about $300 year in taxes and it's worth over 13k. I might pay a little more in groceries... but it's not a huge amount.

Gas is about $0.15 - $0.20 more

In my specific case, I am making significantly more in CT

Old 06-27-2016, 08:44 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
In my specific case, I am making significantly more in CT
A good way to judge difference in pay is by looking at jobs funded by local governments....

Teacher salary (starting):

FL- 35k
CT - 42k

Police salary (starting):

FL - 34k
CT- 52k

Old 06-27-2016, 08:48 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,265 times
Utilities for us were higher in FLA - I guess for hot-natured people, a/c costs more than heat.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:49 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Cost of living is high all over CT and especially high in Fairfield County. I'm 32 and single and living in the Hartford area and have come to peace with myself that I will never afford a decent home in my entire life, unless one of the following circumstances (or a combination) change later on: (a) marriage with a double household income, (b) substantial pay raises or benefit increases at my job, (c) property values drop big time, (d) receipt of inheritance or insurance proceeds, or (e) I completely stop taking any vacations or buying things for many years. That's it, and I've come 100% to accept it. And I have many friends in my age group in CT who are in the exact same boat.

But I really like my company and job. Out of all six jobs I've held, it's the best one ever, in terms of company culture and people, despite having subpar pay and benefits. And I just passed the probation period!

Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,764,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Cost of living is high all over CT and especially high in Fairfield County. I'm 32 and single and living in the Hartford area and have come to peace with myself that I will never afford a decent home in my entire life, unless one of the following circumstances (or a combination) change later on: (a) marriage with a double household income, (b) substantial pay raises or benefit increases at my job, (c) property values drop big time, (d) receipt of inheritance or insurance proceeds, or (e) I completely stop taking any vacations or buying things for many years. That's it, and I've come 100% to accept it. And I have many friends in my age group in CT who are in the exact same boat.

But I really like my company and job. Out of all six jobs I've held, it's the best one ever, in terms of company culture and people, despite having subpar pay and benefits. And I just passed the probation period!

I'm currently eyeing condos in Rocky Hill that are in the 129K range. I know a condo is not as desirable as a SFH (for many people), but you certainly won't have to rent the rest of your life.

Congrats on passing probation! It sounds like you love your job

Old 06-27-2016, 09:02 AM

2,005 posts, read 2,087,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Utilities for us were higher in FLA - I guess for hot-natured people, a/c costs more than heat.
There is no way that AC in FL cost more than heat in winter in CT.... did you have oil or natural gas? Winter utilities in CT are astronomical. Hundreds per month...

Old 06-27-2016, 09:19 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,338,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
There is no way that AC in FL cost more than heat in winter in CT.... did you have oil or natural gas? Winter utilities in CT are astronomical. Hundreds per month...
Actually it was cheaper here in CT for me as well.

My gas would run me about $75-$80 a month with electric about $60 in a 2br.

A/C in the hottest part of the year would be a bit more than $160.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
CT vs Florida

Old 06-27-2016, 10:44 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Lot of nurses at the hospital I work at are moving down to Florida same pay rate and large sign on bonuses. Me there's two thing's with the weather not a fan of oppressive humidity and a year with 20 inches or more of snow. So Florida doesn't work for me ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut