Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:46 PM

51 posts, read 348,421 times

Advertisements

Being new to CT, I am having such a hard time find a trustworthy daycare center. We'ver already had a bad experience with a home daycare provider. So now will would like to deal with centers only. We live in Hamden and I work in Meriden. So any place in those 2 areas would be great. She will be 12mos old in June, we currently have a live-in but she will be moving back to her country in June. I need to find some place for a June 2007 start. We need quality full time care for our little pumpkin. FYI- Carrot Patch has no openings . already tried. Any suggestions, experiences, recommendations, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 PM

ok- so you mean to tell me that no one on this forum uses a daycare or has visited one. Does everyone have nannies?

Wow!

Old 04-11-2007, 01:19 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Its not that everyone has nannies, its just that there probably isn't anyone from that area that is familar with day cares. Try the Stork Club in Meriden. Don't know a lot about it but we used one of their other locations and they were very good for the money. Not sure about that particular location, though. Good luck. Jay

Old 04-11-2007, 08:23 PM

254 posts, read 1,057,936 times
I'm not sure if this is too far for you but I did TONS of research before my daughter went to daycare (I worked part time at Yale after having her) I literally went to 15 or so daycares and the only one that I would put my daughter in is apple tree in Hamden..we had great experiences there and I am super picky (well there is another one in New Haven but they weren't even taking names for the waiting list anymore)

Old 04-12-2007, 03:58 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
I certainly haven't a nanny , but my recommendation would be to look up centers like Kindercare or Bright Horizons or Stork Club. Meriden probably has some of those. Ask people at your job where they put their kids, for ideas, too.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the replies. I work with women that are close to retiring and they all stayed home with their children. I will definitely try appletree. Storkclub isn't taking any more kids for now. Thanks Ladies.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:52 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
FYI My wife has been a center director for over 6 years and in the industry for more than 12 both for private and corporate centers.

She currently runs a Bright Horizon's center after a very short stay at Kindercare. Kindercare is NOT the type of place she or I would put our children. Bright Horizons is a whole different league. Her private center was top notch and very well liked and respected. At times private centers can be better than corporate - but it's a box of chocolates in that regard. Until you get settled here and can get some solid referrals for a private center - I would go corporate.

I don't know that area in particular but I can ask the Mrs and see what she says.

Good luck.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:16 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
We had our kids in a corporate daycare (Stork Club) rather than a private home because we knew that they would not be sitting around watching TV all day. We also knew that there would be multiple eyes watching the kids, not just one person. There are very strict state guidelines that these facilities MUST follow. I also believe that these type of facilities better prepare the kids for school when the time comes. We had a good experience with the Stork Club and I agree that Bright Horiszons and Kindercare are good too. Jay

Old 04-12-2007, 03:42 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
We had our kids in a corporate daycare (Stork Club) rather than a private home because we knew that they would not be sitting around watching TV all day. We also knew that there would be multiple eyes watching the kids, not just one person. There are very strict state guidelines that these facilities MUST follow. I also believe that these type of facilities better prepare the kids for school when the time comes. We had a good experience with the Stork Club and I agree that Bright Horiszons and Kindercare are good too. Jay
Agreed on the home thing...and just to clarify - some private centers are as large and as well if not better staffed, regulated, equiped than some of the corporate centers. BUT you have to know them from a personal level to know what they are all about. The private center my wife ran and built from scratch housed 100 kids and was one of the most desirable centers in the area. She's good.

Old 04-12-2007, 05:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,376 times
Are you working on the side of Meriden near Middletown? There is a Bright Horizons on Roscommon Drive in Middletown, just off I91. Hope this helps!

Are you in a church or synagouge? Might be able to ask around for recommendations there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut