Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:22 PM

4 posts, read 12,244 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Fairfield, CT (can't go any further out since we commute to NYC via the train) but have noticed that every time we are there, no matter what area, we can either hear the Merrit or 95 loud and clear. That's just not peaceful to us. I know that many people probably don't notice it but it really bothers us. Has anyone else had that experience? Are there parts of the town that are quiet? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:19 PM

490 posts, read 1,788,196 times
I hear nothing where I am (Tunxis Hill cut-off). It can not be everywhere, that is not possible. You could not hear it on Stillson before Fairfield University or on Melville around Warde High or Fairfield Woods. Fairfield is a huge town and there are many areas away from both the parkway and I95 that are super quiet.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:52 PM

588 posts, read 1,872,191 times
I'm off Fairfield Woods, not far from the Merritt, and I don't hear a thing. There's the occasional car from the neighborhood, or very infrequently fire/ambulance sirens from Black Rock Tpke, but you'll get the occasional car noise anywhere. It's very peaceful otherwise.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,218,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momark5 View Post
We are considering a move to Fairfield, CT (can't go any further out since we commute to NYC via the train) but have noticed that every time we are there, no matter what area, we can either hear the Merrit or 95 loud and clear. That's just not peaceful to us. I know that many people probably don't notice it but it really bothers us. Has anyone else had that experience? Are there parts of the town that are quiet? Thanks in advance for your help!
You are right, most people, myself included have never noticed any noise. There are a lot of neighborhoods that aren't near there that I am sure your realtor can show you. What did your realtor say when you discussed this with them? I am curious if they, too were aware of noise? You might prefer a more rural location like Easton or Weston.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:06 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Where were you shown homes that you noticed this? I will say that there are locations in Fairfield that are noisier than others. I do hear highway noise sometimes when I am on Tunxis Hill but usually it is on a clear winter's night when there are no leaves on the trees. This is because Tunxis Hill is a hill and the highway runs just below it so you hear the sound in the distance.

I do agree that there are a lot of areas that are quiet though. Check out the neighborhoods mentioned by the others. Also consider northern Mill Plain Road or neighborhoods south of Fairfield Center. Also consider much off Stratfield. These are all pretty quiet. Jay

Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 PM

Thanks to all for the responses! The areas we have seen have been near the University area, Sasco Hill and the beach We want to be as close to the train as possible. Some of the areas (probably the quiet ones) would add more time to the commute to the city.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:21 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
You could hear the highway from Sasco Hill and the beach? I am very surprised at that. I am ot sure of your price range but consider the northern Mill Plain Road area from say Riverfield School north. You are still close to the train station (not walking distance though) and it should be quiet. Jay

Old 05-29-2009, 06:52 PM

Thanks Jay.
Yes, the Section of Sasco Hill we were in was close to route 1 and therefore closer to 95. The beach area we were in was also up close to route 1. Unfortunately we have a very limited budget for Fairfield (and many towns commutable to NYC that have good schools) so we may not end up in Fairfield anyway. It is a lovely town though!

Old 05-29-2009, 11:51 PM

243 posts, read 773,949 times
Sasco Hill and the Beach area should not allow you to hear noise from either highway. Are you sure you are not hearing vehicles from another road? I mean Fairfield is quite suburban with alot of traffic in most places. Some areas of Fairfield border the town of Easton which is one of the must rural towns in the state, to hear highway noise in this area is absurd. On top of that I've spend much time in the beach area and have never heard any traffic at all. Don't get frustrated there are plenty of areas without highway noise in Fairfield, trust me.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:29 AM

We've never been to Easton or to the areas of Fairfield near Easton so I never claimed to hear the highway from there. I was just commenting on the areas we had been in and as I said above, the areas were mainly those close to Rte 1 and therefore also close to 95 (as well as to a friend's house close to the Merrit). I appreciate all the responses to my question and meant no offense to any of the residents of Fairfield.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut