Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:36 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I thought Springfield only has a PBS and ABC affiliate (the latter because Ch. 8 in New Haven is kind of far from them) and uses the Hartford area stations for CBS, NBC, Fox, etc. (and Ch. 20 in Waterbury for CW).

nope springfield has it's own ABC NBC AND FOX affiliates,as well as PBS,we do use CBS 3 from hartford but it is a different feed with springfield news and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:41 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Looks like Obama stimulus money may fast-track this after all: New Haven-Springfield Commuter System Getting Serious Look - Courant.com

Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Looks like Obama stimulus money may fast-track this after all: New Haven-Springfield Commuter System Getting Serious Look - Courant.com
Yeah, I read that too. Nice to see other towns are looking to add RR stations to their town.

I hope there's talk of a train station where I live. In the Elmwood section of my town there's a train that passes through on its way to Hartford's downtown station. It goes right along New Park Ave, which is kind of an eyesore even though they've cleaned it up a bit. If they added a station there, it could definitely kickstart some commercial development on that street, with new restaurants, bars and businesses. Whenever I take Metro North from New Haven to New York, I notice how many of the smaller stations in lower Fairfield County - Fairfield, Westport, Darien, for example - all have nice, tidy stations that are within walking proximity to many storefronts that are part of their Main Street centers of commerce. If we had a station, we might someday be able to get something comparable to this. Who knows, maybe we will. In that article someone from my town who commute to Yale NH campus said they support adding more stations. If enough people support it, maybe we can get one.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
I read this too but must question if it truly meets the criteria. My take is that it does not. Commuter rail and high-speed rail are two different things and the Springfield line is a commuter rail project not high-speed. Then again, the definition of high-speed rail in the criteria could change. Dodd is a big supporter of the Springfield line and he needs to deliver something in CT if he has any chance of being re-elected. OBama is friends with Dodd and knows the importance of keeping him in his seat so I would not be surprised ifthe Springfield project gets funded under the program. Jay

Old 07-10-2009, 11:30 AM

1,273 posts, read 4,160,607 times
Some of my colleagues traveled what's called the Griffin Rail yesterday from Union Station to Windsor. Some state representative thinks he can get money to link from the end of the Griffin Rail to Bradley Airport for a fraction of what the state is proposing. From what I understand the guy was a little wacky. It's amazing how some of the people are voted in.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
Some of my colleagues traveled what's called the Griffin Rail yesterday from Union Station to Windsor. Some state representative thinks he can get money to link from the end of the Griffin Rail to Bradley Airport for a fraction of what the state is proposing. From what I understand the guy was a little wacky. It's amazing how some of the people are voted in.
The Griffin line has issues. The ridership on it if it is ever made into a commmuter rail line would be low since it goes through some pretty low density areas. It will be decades before that area is developed enough to support a rail line. Also a problem is that the line does not go to Bradley. It dead ends in the north end of Bloomfield. To get the line to Bradley would require a lot of land taking through Windsor, East Grnaby and windsor Locks. ConnDOT wisely choose to drop the Griffin Line years ago. It just doe snot make sense when there are so many better places to spend the money. Jay

Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
More possible support: New England Governors Support Springfield-New Haven Rail Line - Courant.com

Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 PM

4 posts, read 9,824 times
I found this forum because I was trying to research more on the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield train line. I've been following this project and think it can do nothing but help the revitalization that is starting to take hold here. The over all goal is to link New England cities to one another by efficient train lines. If Hartford and New Haven were to become major transportation hubs in the future, their burnt out economies, and hopefully standard of living, would improve.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:25 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapinera View Post
I found this forum because I was trying to research more on the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield train line. I've been following this project and think it can do nothing but help the revitalization that is starting to take hold here. The over all goal is to link New England cities to one another by efficient train lines. If Hartford and New Haven were to become major transportation hubs in the future, their burnt out economies, and hopefully standard of living, would improve.
I'm sorry, their what? LOL Burnt out economies? Do you not realize the corporate might and money that exists from New Haven to Springfield? Aparently not. Hartford alone has more corporate power then many cities 3-4 times it's size!

I hardly find our standard of living "burn out". More like one of the best in the nation.

Quote:
State budget in a hard deficit...can't pass a budget and she's blowing 890 million dollars on what? Aye yi yi....

Old 07-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapinera View Post
New Haven is one of the few cities that has added jobs in this economy. Hard to do that if it were truly burnt out. Also Hartford's economy is certainly fairing no worse than any other major city. In fact, it appears to be better. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut